I'd sure feel a lot better about the 2016 season if only (Adam Griffith thread)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
If the 2016 CFPNCG had been a soccer match, the announcer would still be screaming GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALL after the onside kick. Kicked right over the goalie's head and into the net!

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
If you throw out the first two games last year, he was 82% after that rough start. He was 5/5 against Auburn. Spectacular performance against your rivals generally puts you in Alabama lore for decades. Tommy wasn't watching the same #99 that I watched.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Look, I get PART of what he was saying. I myself had pucker factor in the Tennessee game, just hoping, "Dear God, don't let it come down to the kicker." Remember, Adam had missed a 25-yarder against Arkansas, so he had been up and down.

I've told this one before. I was at the LSU game. When Saban sent him out to try that 55-yarder, I screamed at the top of my lungs, "SABAN, have you lost your mind?" And pretty much everyone in the section was nodding and agreeing with me. The muttering was intense.

Then he made the kick. I then shouted as loudly as I had, "I WAS WRONG, never mind!" Most folks would have acted like it didn't happen.

I thought he turned the corner at that point. But we'll see.

It's not the same ironclad guarantee I used to feel with Phillip Doyle, so I understand what Tommy's saying.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
On a more serious note.....in the last (REAL) game he played, Adam Griffith made the most consequential play of the entire game, er, SEASON.

He hit a 55-yarder against LSU. He went 5 for 5 against Auburn.

It's almost like Griffith is NEVER going to live down the Kick Six.

You know, Mark Ingram fumbled the ball at a critical time against Auburn in 2010 but it's not what he's remembered for. He even fumbled at a horrible juncture in the 2009 Tennessee game, but it's not what he's remembered for.

AJ McCarron was hesitant in the 2011 LSU regular season game, but it's not what he's remembered for.

Roy Upchurch committed a critical turnover against Va Tech in 2009 but it's not what he's remembered for.

Hell, Mariano Rivera gave up a playoff series turning home run to Sandy Almoar Jr and was on the mound when Boston began their climb out of the 0-3 hole but it's not what he's remembered for.

It's almost like there's a standard where a kicker is spotted no concession while every other player is.

And on that note - the Kick Six itself wasn't even Griffith's fault. He missed a 57-yard field goal but there were ten other guys who had the job to tackle the runner.
It's obvious that he's standing out there all alone. Only the QB even comes close to having such scrutiny and even that doesn't last as long...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I never blamed the Kick 6 on Griffith. I did and still do blame Nick Saban. But I'm over it...

Speaking of that fateful play, other than that game, when was the last time Alabama needed or tried a game winning FG? I'm racking my brain and can't remember.

It just hasn't happened much during the Saban Era, has it?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I never blamed the Kick 6 on Griffith. I did and still do blame Nick Saban. But I'm over it...

Speaking of that fateful play, other than that game, when was the last time Alabama needed or tried a game winning FG? I'm racking my brain and can't remember.

Crazy thing about the play was how Griff was going to make the play. ESPN's Sports Science examined it the week or two after the game. Griff was on the right angle to meet Davis at the sideline, but a Bama player got in his way and took him off his path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
2014 at LSU.

Bama needed a last play kick to tie the game and force OT.

Some kid with a hurt back came off the bench, nailed the kick, and Bama won the game in OT.

Now what was that kid's name again...........

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Depends on your definition. Consider the following:

Griffith himself hit a game-TYING field goal against LSU in 2014 that forced overtime, where we won on a touchdown. (TIED)

One could argue the 2011 LSU regular season game, when we tried the one in overtime. Foster missed from 52 yards and then LSU won on the ensuing possession. (FG MISSED, LOST)

We also tried one against LSU in 2008 that was blocked, but again we won in overtime. (FG MISSED, WON)

In the 2007 Georgia game, we kicked one in overtime but gave up a game-winning TD. (FG MADE, STILL LOST)

In the 2006 Arkansas game, Leigh Tiffin missed three field goals and a PAT, and we lost in overtime. (FG MISSED, LOST)

But if you're looking for the answer to, "When was the last game that Alabama kicked a game-winning field goal on the last (or almost last) play to WIN THE GAME?"

The answer is Jamie Christensen's kick that won the 2006 Cotton Bowl against Texas Tech, a game I attended.

In other words, it has never even happened in the Saban Era here at Alabama in the 'classic' sense.

Last edited:

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Hmm. I'm guessing you're talking about when we set a (then) NCAA record for most consecutive PATs under (mostly) Peter Kim, Van Tiffin, and Phillip Doyle and Tiffin was a long distance kicker (e.g. 1985 Iron Bowl).

How many SEC and national championships did those guys win combined?

Peter Kim - one shared SEC title
Van Tiffin - zero SEC or national titles
Phillip Doyle - one shared SEC title

Yeah, I miss those days, too.
Well, I guess we can't blame the kickers for those seasons...can we?:wink:

Roll Tide!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, I guess we can't blame the kickers for those seasons...can we?:wink:

Roll Tide!
That depends.

Van Tiffin missed a 39-yard field goal against Auburn in the 1986 Iron Bowl with 11:47 left that would have given Alabama a six-point lead (and meant they only needed a field goal, not a touchdown, to win). He had not missed from 30-39 all year.

However, I'm hesitant to either blame OR credit a kicker on the basis of one play. It wasn't Tiffin who blew a 17-0 first half lead that Auburn overcame.

It's one of those difficult subjects. There is no question that special teams drastically affected the 2011 NCAA regular season - Alabama, Okie State, Oregon, and Boise State all lost games due to missed kicks. (There's probably others I don't even know about). But that comes down to who put the whole game on a kicker's foot in the first place.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Depends on your definition. Consider the following:

Griffith himself hit a game-TYING field goal against LSU in 2014 that forced overtime, where we won on a touchdown. (TIED)

One could argue the 2011 LSU regular season game, when we tried the one in overtime. Foster missed from 52 yards and then LSU won on the ensuing possession. (FG MISSED, LOST)

We also tried one against LSU in 2008 that was blocked, but again we won in overtime. (FG MISSED, WON)

In the 2007 Georgia game, we kicked one in overtime but gave up a game-winning TD. (FG MADE, STILL LOST)

In the 2006 Arkansas game, Leigh Tiffin missed three field goals and a PAT, and we lost in overtime. (FG MISSED, LOST)

But if you're looking for the answer to, "When was the last game that Alabama kicked a game-winning field goal on the last (or almost last) play to WIN THE GAME?"

The answer is Jamie Christensen's kick that won the 2006 Cotton Bowl against Texas Tech, a game I attended.

In other words, it has never even happened in the Saban Era here at Alabama in the 'classic' sense.
All of those really count for what I was looking for. A kick, to end the game (which nowadays would also mean to force OT) which would win or tie. Or, in other words, prevent a loss.

So, by any definition, it is a rare occurrence in the Nick Saban era.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I'll never forget that kick. It was the ugliest prettiest FG made ever!! Lol. That thing spun completely sideways instead of end over end. He also made game winners against Tenn and Ole Miss that season. He earned his nickname....'Money'.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
All of those really count for what I was looking for. A kick, to end the game (which nowadays would also mean to force OT) which would win or tie. Or, in other words, prevent a loss.

So, by any definition, it is a rare occurrence in the Nick Saban era.
The last time (I think) we had a play where we MADE a "kick it you win, miss it you lose" scenario was Tiffin's kick in the 1985 Iron Bowl. We've had a few where we either MISSED at the end (Doyle vs LSU in 1988, Diaz against Auburn in 1997) or if we missed it was TIED (Doyle vs UT in 1990), but unless I'm mistaken (and I looked back at the logs), the last time Alabama went from losing to winning on a last play KICK was Tiffin's 52-yarder.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'll never forget that kick. It was the ugliest prettiest FG made ever!! Lol. That thing spun completely sideways instead of end over end. He also made game winners against Tenn and Ole Miss that season. He earned his nickname....'Money'.
I was at that game, and we weren't sure whether it was good or not. Bizarre kick.

And I learned Texas Tech were some of the dumbest fans on the planet. They thought every single incomplete pass was a defensive PI on our guys. SERIOUSLY. Every single pass play there were Tech fans in the stands calling for a flag on us for DPI.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I was at that game, and we weren't sure whether it was good or not. Bizarre kick.

And I learned Texas Tech were some of the dumbest fans on the planet. They thought every single incomplete pass was a defensive PI on our guys. SERIOUSLY. Every single pass play there were Tech fans in the stands calling for a flag on us for DPI.
I was there too. The kick was so bad on contact that I didn't even watch it, so sure was I that it was no good. I only knew we'd won about 10 seconds later.

As for Texas Tech fans, Texans don't call them Sand Aggies for no reason...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
#99 were not such a ? every time he trots onto the field. With our schedule we can't afford to waste a lot of opportunities when we have a chance to put points on the board.

I sure miss the days when we could have a high degree of trust in our FG kicking game, seems so long ago.
TommyMac, You must not have seen the LSU, Auburn and National Championship games. Adam Griffith performed very well in all three when the pressure was on.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.