I'd sure feel a lot better about the 2016 season if only (Adam Griffith thread)

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
#99 were not such a ? every time he trots onto the field. With our schedule we can't afford to waste a lot of opportunities when we have a chance to put points on the board.

I sure miss the days when we could have a high degree of trust in our FG kicking game, seems so long ago.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
#99 were not such a ? every time he trots onto the field. With our schedule we can't afford to waste a lot of opportunities when we have a chance to put points on the board.

I sure miss the days when we could have a high degree of trust in our FG kicking game, seems so long ago.
I heard Bill King on 97.7 Huntsville say this morning that if Alabama had to replace all 22 starters we would still be ranked in the top five preseason because Nick is that good. So yes it would be good to have a kicker who seldom missed, but we can overcome some important misses. We have Nick.:smile:

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Kicker problems were always the bane of Bobby Bowden. But then again, CNS has usually overcome this problem. Guess it tells you how good Saban really is.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
So, let me see how it is a concern for him... Last year He went for 0-4 in the first two games, before going 23 out of 32, which resulted in 71.9 percent for the year. The kick in Auburn and Clemson Game was huge. So I'm not worried about our kicking game. Griffith said his back is lot better than it was last year.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.

Not sure what you are saying about Griffith, maybe you watched him kick for another team last season because he did a very good for Bama last season.

23-32 on FG's (71.9%)
62-62 on XP's (100%)
55 of 100 kickoffs went for touchbacks (55%)

He missed his first 4 FG's last year but was solid after that.

Did you even watch the Auburn game? He was clutch and was the majority of our offense.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I am personally glad to have Griffith. Remember Leigh Tiffin and the Arkansas game I believe his freshman or Sophomore year? Remember how he turned out.

I am supporting Adam all the way! He has battled so much and come out on top! Glad he is our kicker!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I am personally glad to have Griffith. Remember Leigh Tiffin and the Arkansas game I believe his freshman or Sophomore year? Remember how he turned out.

I am supporting Adam all the way! He has battled so much and come out on top! Glad he is our kicker!
I remember people booing Leigh Tiffin when he came out to warm up next game too.
Classless.

I have been known to go through a slump, but 6 million people aren't watching me on TV when I do.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I'll admit that Griffith makes me nervous sometimes but, at the same time, I still remember that 55 yarder against LSU. As soon as I heard that ball leave his foot, I knew it was good. I don't care who you are, that was just plain awesome!

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

seems as though we are in the minority because i agree with your statement. at times, he's like a machine. others, not so much. FG kicking can be such a mental weight on their shoulders. Spring game performance was tough to watch.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I remember that Arkansas game, too. I was most disappointed at the time, but in retrospect, I wonder if Bryant didn't reach his hand out of the sky and thump those kicks just wide.

If Tiffin makes just one of those kicks, we beat Arkansas, have a 3-5 SEC record, 7-5 regular season. Makes it a bit harder to fire Shula, which probably means Saban is back in Baton Rouge, and we're goodness-knows-where.

Funny how things work.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
We are replacing a Heisman winning RB. We have no idea who the starting QB will be. The last week Saban has been distracted by the Smith transfer mess.

And your biggest concern is the kicker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Re: I'd sure feel a lot better about the 2016 season if only

Well, the team did all right with him as kicker last season. He certainly came through in the NC game with the perfectly executed onside kick. He's not a great kicker but he's not the worst we've had. If he's struggling CNS can work around it by going for the first down on 4th and 1 or 4th and 2 instead of trying a 40+ yard FG.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Hmm. I'm guessing you're talking about when we set a (then) NCAA record for most consecutive PATs under (mostly) Peter Kim, Van Tiffin, and Phillip Doyle and Tiffin was a long distance kicker (e.g. 1985 Iron Bowl).

How many SEC and national championships did those guys win combined?

Peter Kim - one shared SEC title
Van Tiffin - zero SEC or national titles
Phillip Doyle - one shared SEC title

Yeah, I miss those days, too.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I remember that Arkansas game, too. I was most disappointed at the time, but in retrospect, I wonder if Bryant didn't reach his hand out of the sky and thump those kicks just wide.

If Tiffin makes just one of those kicks, we beat Arkansas, have a 3-5 SEC record, 7-5 regular season. Makes it a bit harder to fire Shula, which probably means Saban is back in Baton Rouge, and we're goodness-knows-where.

Funny how things work.
My sentiments exactly on a couple of other dark cloud games with silver linings of the past. One the 1991 Fiesta Bowl, and the other the 2004 LSU game.

What if Stallings doesn't send everyone, including himself, out recruiting in 1990, and instead prepares Bama to play Louisville? I can tell you what. A victory over Louisville. And then Bama doesn't even play Miami in the 1993 Sugar Bowl because they don't have the players recruited in 1990. Which, BTW, is the reason CFB has the 'dead period' in recruiting during Bowl season now.

What if Bama gets the obvious PI call in the 2004 LSU game and wins that game? Only Wayne Huizenga himself could convince me that he would have hired Nick Saban with a 8-3 record and a loss to Bama rather than Nick Saban with a 9-2 record and a win over Bama. If Nick Saban doesn't go to Miami, he is still at LSU (scary thought) or at Texas (food for thought).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
On a more serious note.....in the last (REAL) game he played, Adam Griffith made the most consequential play of the entire game, er, SEASON.

He hit a 55-yarder against LSU. He went 5 for 5 against Auburn.

It's almost like Griffith is NEVER going to live down the Kick Six.

You know, Mark Ingram fumbled the ball at a critical time against Auburn in 2010 but it's not what he's remembered for. He even fumbled at a horrible juncture in the 2009 Tennessee game, but it's not what he's remembered for.

AJ McCarron was hesitant in the 2011 LSU regular season game, but it's not what he's remembered for.

Roy Upchurch committed a critical turnover against Va Tech in 2009 but it's not what he's remembered for.

Hell, Mariano Rivera gave up a playoff series turning home run to Sandy Almoar Jr and was on the mound when Boston began their climb out of the 0-3 hole but it's not what he's remembered for.

It's almost like there's a standard where a kicker is spotted no concession while every other player is.

And on that note - the Kick Six itself wasn't even Griffith's fault. He missed a 57-yard field goal but there were ten other guys who had the job to tackle the runner.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.