Here's What Really Happened at That Company That Set a $70,000 Minimum Wage

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I laughed at this guy at the time but somewhat similar to Costco, it appears he's discovered that people will exceed expectations if they feel they are well compensated...

Six months after Price's announcement, Gravity has defied doubters. Revenue is growing at double the previous rate. Profits have also doubled. Gravity did lose a few customers: Some objected to what seemed like a political statement that put pressure on them to raise their own wages; others feared price hikes or service cutbacks. But media reports suggesting that panicked customers were fleeing have proved false. In fact, Gravity's customer retention rate rose from 91 to 95 percent in the second quarter.
http://www.inc.com/magazine/201511/paul-keegan/does-more-pay-mean-more-growth.html

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Just imagine how much more they could exceed expectations if he raised the minimum salary to $150K.
Assuming this is sarcasm, there are upper limits, of course.

But all one has to do is shop in places where the employees are taken care of and feel appreciated to see the difference.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A key to this, IMO, is that he made this decision on his own. The government didn't force him to do it.
Agreed. And his employees were never minimum wage types, they were all people bringing real financial value to the company with their skill set.

FWIW, I didn't post this as an argument for increased minimum wager, which I don't agree with - I posted it for two reasons:
1- to own the fact that I was flat-out wrong when I predicted this to be a company killing move on his part, and
2- to emphasize that over and over I've seen it - employees that feel valued will work harder. Just shop at Walmart and Costco to witness the difference...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Agreed. And his employees were never minimum wage types, they were all people bringing real financial value to the company with their skill set.

FWIW, I didn't post this as an argument for increased minimum wager, which I don't agree with - I posted it for two reasons:
1- to own the fact that I was flat-out wrong when I predicted this to be a company killing move on his part, and
2- to emphasize that over and over I've seen it - employees that feel valued will work harder. Just shop at Walmart and Costco to witness the difference...
Agreed. Good companies treat their employees like team members who are vested in the company's success. Offer proper incentives and good employees will rise to the occasion. With that said, many employees don't have any particular value. Places like Walmart give such employees, who aren't Costco material, a job.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'll be interested to see how this plays out over time. Part of the growth can be attributed to the growth in the white-hot payments industry. As that slows and the industry matures, it will be interesting to follow his company to see if they can outperform similar companies.

I'll be honest, I didn't think they'd make it much past 6 months with that salary level. Kudos to them so far.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I read an article where we said he doesn't really consider it a success yet. He wants to grow the business enough that he can raise his salary back to 7 figures to show other CEO's everyone can get paid so maybe this idea will spread. Plus, whenever he moves on he wants to company to be able to attract top leadership talent.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A little help here. If companies start doing this, wouldn't it drive the value of of a dollar and/or interest rates sky high?
if it's government mandated 9such as minimum wage) then yes.

But when individual companies do this, no, because they're aren't paying the average unskilled worker this salary.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Back in the day I was a manager with Kinko's for ten years before fedex bought them out.

It was a privately held company that paid 34% of its profit back to the employees.

The GM made 10%
The Assistant Managers shared 8%
The Regular Associates shared 10%
The DM got 6%

Loyalty was off the charts.

Back in the day I was a manager with Kinko's for ten years before fedex bought them out.

It was a privately held company that paid 34% of its profit back to the employees.

The GM made 10%
The DM got 6%

We have something like that at my job. It's lovely. Once a company goes public it's over.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The GM made 10%
The DM got 6%

Publix is employee-owned also, through an ESOP. Last I looked, it was still the largest current one. The largest employee-owned company, until it went public a bit over a decade ago was SAIC. Within two years of the ouster of the founder, Dr. Beyster, it went public. He had let the board become dominated by people not committed to the idea of employee ownership. There are other factors - employees wanting to diversify investments, pressure for liquidity to pay off retiring senior employees, etc., but it's mostly just a desire on the part of employees to "cash out."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.