Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief bayoutider's Avatar
    Recipes

Recipe: Creamed Ham on Toast

Ingredients:

2 or 3 cups leftover cooked ham cut in small pieces

White sauce:
    4tbsp butter
    4 tbsp flour
    salt and pepper (preferably white pepper but use the black if the pepper police isn't around)
    2 cup milk

6-8 slices white or wheat bread toasted and torn in bite size pieces

Directions:

melt butter and stir in flour to make a light roux. Stir and cook roux to almost a peanut butter color. Add milk and stir to combine. Add ham and continue to stir and bring to a boil. Cream sauce will not thicken till it comes to a boil. Reduce heat now or remove from burner.

Place a serving of toast on a plate and ladle the ham and cream sauce over all.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a variation of creamed chipped beef or the old military SOS. My mother used to have me trim the ham bone and she would make this for our lunch.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

"You don't have to flaunt your success, but you don't have to apologize for it, either" -- Gene Stallings

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts." -Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar
    post deleted. Moronic failure to read original. apologies.
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban

man this brings back some good memories. my dad and I used to have creamed chipped beef over toast every saturday and sunday morning. question- if you wanted to make it creamed chipped beef- what "beef" would you use? thanks again!
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."- Benjamin Franklin

"Don't look back! The lemmings are gaining on you!"

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo@work
    man this brings back some good memories. my dad and I used to have creamed chipped beef over toast every saturday and sunday morning. question- if you wanted to make it creamed chipped beef- what "beef" would you use? thanks again!
    The dried chipped beef found in a jar close to where you find the Spam, Vienna Sausages and Manwich is what I use. Stoffer's has a creamed chipped beef in the freezer section that is pretty darned good by my standards. I keep a box of that handy just about all the time.

Now, if you want to do this the easy way.......get some of the milk gravy mix in a pouch where the seasonings are. Make the gravy, dump in dried chipped beef, ham or crumbled pan sausage. Let it simmer a few minutes keeping an eye on how thick it is getting and adding more milk or water to thin it out. Pour over biscuits or toast. That's a good breakfast with a couple of fried eggs.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

"You don't have to flaunt your success, but you don't have to apologize for it, either" -- Gene Stallings

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts." -Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Okay

bayou

For my chipped beef on toast, I use the packaged beef packets by Buddig instead of the dried beef in the jar. It is less salty and tastes better.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh
    bayou

For my chipped beef on toast, I use the packaged beef packets by Buddig instead of the dried beef in the jar. It is less salty and tastes better.
    Good tip, I never thought of that.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com
    For those of us who are service vets, this smacks of SOS, doesn't it? (soufflé on a shingle)

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 1FitToBeTide
    For those of us who are service vets, this smacks of SOS, doesn't it? (soufflé on a shingle)

Yes it does, in fact I made that point in the lead post "This is a variation of creamed chipped beef or the old military SOS." I loved the stuff and still do. The cream sauce holds up well with a variety of meats and goes well on a variety of breads. SOS (we didn't call it souffle') or downhome country style gravy and biscuits make my mouth water.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

BamaNation All-American NBF_Bama_Cavalry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FitToBeTide

Souffle? I never heard it called that before.
    A good game plan vigorously executed right now is far better than a perfect game plan executed next week. General George Patton (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by bayoutider
    Good tip, I never thought of that.
    You will be very pleased with the results.

Speaking of SOS, my mother creamed everything from eggs to tuna fish, not to mention leftover sausage and round steak. I used to hover over the round steak at dinner hoping for leftovers knowing she would use them for breakfast the next morning. Best SOS on God's green earth.

I am not talking about cube steak that we use for chicken fries. I am talking about round steak that has been tenderized, dipped in flour and browned. Cut up into bite-size pieces and then mixed with the leftover cream gravy, heated and additional milk added the next morning, served over crunchy toast from the oven, it was a meal fit for a king. Just add fried potatoes or hash browns and you will think you have died and gone to heaven.

Creamed tuna on toast is great, but you need the kind that is packed in oil.

Smile

A big AMEN to chicken fried steak with lots of cream gravy, hashbrowns, eggs and biscuits for breakfast.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by NBF_Bama_Cavalry
    Souffle? I never heard it called that before.
    I KNOW the "official" name for the dish. I moved away from some bathroom terms in favor euphemisms like "soufflé".

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

as a matter of fact

my dad did use the Stouffer's boil-in-a-bag and it's delicious! I had never thought of Budding's beef but now that I think about it it's perfect! I'll try it this week and let y'all know how it is!
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."- Benjamin Franklin

"Don't look back! The lemmings are gaining on you!"