Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Ingredients:

2 or 3 cups leftover cooked ham cut in small pieces

White sauce:
4tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
salt and pepper (preferably white pepper but use the black if the pepper police isn't around)
2 cup milk

6-8 slices white or wheat bread toasted and torn in bite size pieces

Directions:

melt butter and stir in flour to make a light roux. Stir and cook roux to almost a peanut butter color. Add milk and stir to combine. Add ham and continue to stir and bring to a boil. Cream sauce will not thicken till it comes to a boil. Reduce heat now or remove from burner.

Place a serving of toast on a plate and ladle the ham and cream sauce over all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a variation of creamed chipped beef or the old military SOS. My mother used to have me trim the ham bone and she would make this for our lunch.

bilbo@work

All-SEC
Dec 9, 1999
atlanta, ga
man this brings back some good memories. my dad and I used to have creamed chipped beef over toast every saturday and sunday morning. question- if you wanted to make it creamed chipped beef- what "beef" would you use? thanks again!

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
bilbo@work said:
man this brings back some good memories. my dad and I used to have creamed chipped beef over toast every saturday and sunday morning. question- if you wanted to make it creamed chipped beef- what "beef" would you use? thanks again!
The dried chipped beef found in a jar close to where you find the Spam, Vienna Sausages and Manwich is what I use. Stoffer's has a creamed chipped beef in the freezer section that is pretty darned good by my standards. I keep a box of that handy just about all the time.

Now, if you want to do this the easy way.......get some of the milk gravy mix in a pouch where the seasonings are. Make the gravy, dump in dried chipped beef, ham or crumbled pan sausage. Let it simmer a few minutes keeping an eye on how thick it is getting and adding more milk or water to thin it out. Pour over biscuits or toast. That's a good breakfast with a couple of fried eggs.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Leigh said:
bayou

For my chipped beef on toast, I use the packaged beef packets by Buddig instead of the dried beef in the jar. It is less salty and tastes better.
Good tip, I never thought of that.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
1FitToBeTide said:
For those of us who are service vets, this smacks of SOS, doesn't it? (soufflé on a shingle):)

:biga2:
Yes it does, in fact I made that point in the lead post "This is a variation of creamed chipped beef or the old military SOS." I loved the stuff and still do. The cream sauce holds up well with a variety of meats and goes well on a variety of breads. SOS (we didn't call it souffle') ;) or downhome country style gravy and biscuits make my mouth water.

Leigh

Oklahoma All-American
Apr 24, 2002
Wichita Falls, TX
www.ouboards.com
bayoutider said:
Good tip, I never thought of that.
You will be very pleased with the results.

Speaking of SOS, my mother creamed everything from eggs to tuna fish, not to mention leftover sausage and round steak. I used to hover over the round steak at dinner hoping for leftovers knowing she would use them for breakfast the next morning. Best SOS on God's green earth.

I am not talking about cube steak that we use for chicken fries. I am talking about round steak that has been tenderized, dipped in flour and browned. Cut up into bite-size pieces and then mixed with the leftover cream gravy, heated and additional milk added the next morning, served over crunchy toast from the oven, it was a meal fit for a king. Just add fried potatoes or hash browns and you will think you have died and gone to heaven.

Creamed tuna on toast is great, but you need the kind that is packed in oil.

bilbo@work

All-SEC
Dec 9, 1999
atlanta, ga
as a matter of fact

my dad did use the Stouffer's boil-in-a-bag and it's delicious! I had never thought of Budding's beef but now that I think about it it's perfect! I'll try it this week and let y'all know how it is!

Leigh

Oklahoma All-American
Apr 24, 2002
Wichita Falls, TX
www.ouboards.com
bayoutider said:
A big AMEN to chicken fried steak with lots of cream gravy, hashbrowns, eggs and biscuits for breakfast.
No, I am talking about the leftover round steak cut up into bite size pieces and mixed with the cream gravy, then served over the toast. It is to die for.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.