Anthropoid (film about the killing of Heydrich)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For you WWII experts, what is your take on Rommel as a person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I regard him as being a highly respectable and respected general. However, there's no getting around his devotion to Hitler and his expressed devotion to NAZI ideals, including anti-Semitism...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My personal take is that he was not entirely clean of the fascist stink (he did command the Führerbegleitbrigade, personal bodyguard of the Bohmische Gefreiten), but he was a lot cleaner than many others. By allowing himself to be associated with the July 20th plot redeemed him a good bit.

Professionally, I find him a brilliant tactician. His book, Infanterie Greift An, shows he was hyperaggressive and the secret of his success was often that he was so aggressive nobody was prepared for his aggressiveness. Over and over, his opponents thought to themselves, "There's no way he can attack, so there's no need for us to be ready to defend," followed by "Oops!"
On the other hand, he was a logistical disaster. Once when a log officer in North Africa told him that his plan was not feasible, Rommel told him, "That is not my problem. That is your problem." Well, the god of war begs to differ, Herr Feldmarschall. Logistics is very much the commander's problem. Come to grips with that or logistics will slap you upside the head, which it did in North Afrika in January 1941 and November 1942.
You know, I don't think the depth of his involvement in the plot will ever be untangled. There's no doubt about his disillusionment and his sympathy with Hitler's removal, although he favored trial. In the end, it doesn't matter...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
There have been a few over the years which depict the WW II Germans not as good guys, but at least humans, with good points and bad, strengths and weaknesses:
- The Longest Day (Werner "Boots on the wrong feet" Pluskat and Pips "Strafing Omaha with just two planes" Priller),
- The Enemy Below, Capt. von Stolberg.
- Das Boot, (the whole tragic crew, really).
- Cross of Iron (Steiner, Schnurrbart, Krüger)

In Anthropoid, however, the Germans are just guys in feldgrau, unless they are the Gestapo guys with the ball peen hammer in the interrogation rooms getting all Medieval on some poor Czech.
I love The Longest Day.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You know, I don't think the depth of his involvement in the plot will ever be untangled. There's no doubt about his disillusionment and his sympathy with Hitler's removal, although he favored trial. In the end, it doesn't matter...
I guess that was what Operation Anthropoid was about. Showing that Czechoslovaks were not lying down for and collaborating with the Nazi regime. It was always a long shot, and the Nazis abused the crap out of Czechoslovakia for the Heydrich killing, but the operation showed that there were Czechoslovaks who resisted, despite the dangers.
The film shows a bit of the collaborator/patriot split. It is not comfortable but they do not paint over that moral quandary. Not all Czechoslovaks were onside with the government in exile. Some were trying to navigate the moral minefield of Nazi occupation.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I love The Longest Day.
Everybody who was anybody in Hollywood was in that film.

Maj. Gen. Gunther Blumentritt calls Jodl to ask for the release of the Panzer reserves and Jodl says he cannot without Hitler's approval and Hitler is sleeping.

Blumentritt says, ""der führer schläft noch immer."

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A mini-series on Netflix called Generation War does a great job of showing the German populace mood during the middle and end of the war. If you have access to Netflix, I'd highly suggest y'all watch it. It is in German subtitles, and I believe it was produced in Germany.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmyGPX23px4
I watched Generation War (Our Mothers and Our Fathers in German). It was interesting. It caused a bit of a stir in Germany over the legacy of the WW II generation. Not every German soldiers was a Jew-hating Nazi. Many were just fighting because their government told them to.

There was a German museum exhibit that traveled around Germany and Austria a decade or more ago. The film Der Unbekannte Soldat (The unknown soldier) documents the museum exhibit.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My next door neighbor, whom I've mentioned before, has told me that the claims by some that they knew nothing about the Holocaust was poppycock. She said that a common parental threat to children was "behave or you'll go up the chimney." She went on to explain that there was nothing anyone could do, anyway. Looking at the power and control of the NAZI party, I don't know how it's possible to quarrel with her point. In my SIL's case, his uncle and aunt, who lived with his parents were taken away and murdered because they were developmentally disabled. That was before he was born, but you can imagine what his attitude towards the NAZIs is. In fact, he's pretty far left in his views, in part, I'm sure because of that history...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I guess that was what Operation Anthropoid was about. Showing that Czechoslovaks were not lying down for and collaborating with the Nazi regime. It was always a long shot, and the Nazis abused the crap out of Czechoslovakia for the Heydrich killing, but the operation showed that there were Czechoslovaks who resisted, despite the dangers.
The film shows a bit of the collaborator/patriot split. It is not comfortable but they do not paint over that moral quandary. Not all Czechoslovaks were onside with the government in exile. Some were trying to navigate the moral minefield of Nazi occupation.
I think that collaboration/cooperation/resistance is really a spectrum of shades of gray. The harshest consequences seem to have been reserved for sexual complicity by women...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I watched Generation War (Our Mothers and Our Fathers in German). It was interesting. It caused a bit of a stir in Germany over the legacy of the WW II generation. Not every German soldiers was a Jew-hating Nazi. Many were just fighting because their government told them to.

There was a German museum exhibit that traveled around Germany and Austria a decade or more ago. The film Der Unbekannte Soldat (The unknown soldier) documents the museum exhibit.
I took the German history classes at ten Hoor and I was very surprised that the number of accounts of ordinary German citizens just following what the government told them, and how many of them actually disagreed or opposed the government policy, particularly its racial policy. That's not to say there were Germans that weren't ALL IN on the Nazi ideology, but I'd say there were more just going along with the flow instead of being passionate for the cause.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.