Derrick Henry Having a Good Night

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
He was making cuts that I didn't see him make in college. Looks like he has worked very hard on his lateral foot speed/quickness. Never showed one sign of "lumbering" or slow in changing directions on a lateral level. Very, very impressive first showing for Derrick.
I was thinking the same thing while watching the highlights.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yeah, saw that too. Surprising to see how nimble he looked. I DVR'd it and watched it again. Derrick has DEFINITELY worked on the things the critics said would give him problems in the NFL. The lateral movement is there, quickness in changing direction is there, and the cuts he was making without slowing down one step is there. He looked great and honestly looked game ready to be the starter. I was happy for Derrick but at the same time ticked off that my Raiders passed on him. Our O-line is going to be a beast this season and I can only imagine what Derrick could have done behind that line. SMH
No way to know for sure but Derrick looks to be about 10 or maybe even 15 pounds lighter. He looked very very trim and quicker. He's always been in excellent shape but he looked to be in as good a physical condition as I've ever seen him in his Titans debut.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I know he doesn't fit the prototypical NFL running back mold, but I think they sometimes underestimate a players intangibles like heart and mindset. He will give them a 150% whether it be on field or off.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That's 7.4 yds per carry....the Cowboys were stupid for not drafting him...:mad2:
The Cowboys were stupid not to draft some defensive players that can help them. But I'm sympathetic to what you're saying too!

He was making cuts that I didn't see him make in college. Looks like he has worked very hard on his lateral foot speed/quickness. Never showed one sign of "lumbering" or slow in changing directions on a lateral level. Very, very impressive first showing for Derrick.
I think the Titans have addressed his (relatively) slow first step and how he would sometimes hesitate to hit the hole. He looked very quick and decisive out of his stance!

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I noticed he was wearing #2. I didn't think the NFL allowed anyone but kickers and QBs to have numbers that low. Has that changed, or was this just a pre-season thing?
I'm not sure if the rule is still in place, but if it is I THINK you could pay a fine and wear those single digits. I seem to remember something along those lines.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I noticed he was wearing #2. I didn't think the NFL allowed anyone but kickers and QBs to have numbers that low. Has that changed, or was this just a pre-season thing?
According to this Wikipedia page, running backs are limited to 20-49. Of course, there are exceptions that must be approved by the NFL.

Then, there's this:

Derrick Henry Might have his Number

When asked by the uniform situation by a fan in his mailbag, Titans Online’s Senior Writer, Jim Wyatt, shed some light on the situation.

“The uniform numbers remains a popular topic for a lot fans. Henry is wearing No.2 now, but he can’t wear that during the season. Perrish Cox, who currently wears No.24, said he’s talked to Henry about a ‘deal” for the number, and I have a feeling that will eventually work itself out. Remember, DeMarco Murray earlier negotiated with Cox for No.29,” Wyatt replied to the reader.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm not sure if the rule is still in place, but if it is I THINK you could pay a fine and wear those single digits. I seem to remember something along those lines.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Players can wear any number they want during preseason. Henry will have to wear a running back number once the regular season starts. That's how I understood it when it was discussed on one of the NFL shows..

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Those rules don't apply in the pre-season...especially when they are still making cuts. Once the real season begins, the players have to wear the # the rules permit. Also Mark Barron had #26 when he got to the Rams as a safety but when he made the switch to OLB in 2015, he still kept it. That seemed to be a loophole with him last year but now because he is officially listed at a LB on NFL.com so he may have to switch #'s this season.

Last edited:

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I was at the game, and Henry looked very good. He also looks like he may have slimmed down a bit and he seems to have a little more lateral mobility than he had at Alabama.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
I have to admit; there was a time when I never thought DH would take a snap in the NFL; now I think he has a chance to be a STAR.
When work ethic and character meets freakish physical talent; great achievements are possible.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I was laughing at all the prognosticators on ESPN who are now saying that he will be highly productive...where were they last spring when they ran him down in the draft? Stick it to 'em, DH!

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I was laughing at all the prognosticators on ESPN who are now saying that he will be highly productive...where were they last spring when they ran him down in the draft? Stick it to 'em, DH!
That's pretty standard though. Everyone poor mouths everyone trying to get them to drop down to their slot in the draft.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
You really don't realize how fast he is until you see him outrun corners and safeties.
He is similar to Usain Bolt to me. Neither of them look like they are running as fast as others because their leg turnover isn't as rapid, but they have such long, efficient strides that they just glide past people. It's fun to watch. I no longer pay much attention to the NFL, but I always hope our guys do well. I would love to see DH run over, through, around, and past some folks and have a nice career that sets him and his family up for many years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.