What's Up With Kendall Sheffield? (UPDATE: Reportedly Transferring)

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
"Elite" HS athletes often have problems playing in college -- especially in positions which require quick analysis rather than just athletic ability. Why? They've never had to do this before. They are not accustomed to being "just another player." Remember DH struggled and almost left after his freshman year.

I can only wish the best for the young man. Sounds like Dad is injecting himself where he needs to keep hands off. We will never know the full story for years.

RTR -- only 14 days!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So why all the hate on this guy but everybody seems to love two-time quitter Luke del Rio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
So why all the hate on this guy but everybody seems to love two-time quitter Luke del Rio?

I don't "love" Luke Del Rio, but to be fair he didn't quit when he was in the 2-deep with 3 weeks to go before the first game of the season either.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

Based on the information that's out there, that would seem an unfair characterization of del Rio. Assuming he's more forthcoming with the truth than is Ryan Lochte (a low bar to clear, I admit), it's reasonable to believe that he left Oregon State after a coaching change and his subsequently being told he would never see the field at that program. As for transferring from Alabama, it's also reasonable to believe that bad blood between his father and Lane Kiffin was the proximate cause there. He also, if memory serves, wasn't even on scholarship at Alabama. So, I don't know that it's a valid comparison at all…

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
I don't "love" Luke Del Rio, but to be fair he didn't quit when he was in the 2-deep with 3 weeks to go before the first game of the season either.
In other words, because we sense that Sheffield was more important to hold on to.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
In other words, because we sense that Sheffield was more important to hold on to.
(Regarding the original question, I think think "hate" is a bit over the top, but, in any case...)

Or, in other words, there is some dismay that Sheffield walks away at the eleventh hour when he was going to be on the field for the Tide at least pretty good bit.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Totally different scenario. Alabama wouldn't give him a scholarship, I can't blame him for leaving under those circumstances. As I understand Okie St. just flat out told him he wasn't going to play (in other words they wanted him to transfer). I have no issue at all with a guy who is not seeing the field transferring as long as he communicates his intentions and doesn't quit at an inopportune time. That's when transferring works right, Alabama has had a lot of transfers that left with the blessing of both Nick Saban and the fans (like Alec Morris), it doesn't have to be some entitled brat quitting.

This guy, and Maurice, they quit after spring practice, they had scholarships and furthermore they were slated to get playing time. No comparison... those guys just walked out on the team, period and they deserve the animosity.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.