What's Up With Kendall Sheffield? (UPDATE: Reportedly Transferring)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: 2016 Fall Camp Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences, Interviews, etc.)

Well lets see how it plays out first. For all we know, he had a death in the family or something.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Re: 2016 Fall Camp Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences, Interviews, etc.)

Comment I read said Sheffield and his dad headed back to Texas. Didn't like that Sheffield was being passed on depth chart by younger players. This is just Twitter talk so TIFWIW..
That sounds odd (taking it FWIW from twitter)..... because he was constantly in the 1st team rotations at cornerback. He's been replaced by Anthony Averett who is a redshirt junior so I don't know what younger players they are talking about.

Also, FWIW, in the spring, Averett tied for the fastest 40 yd. dash on the team at 4.34 and the fastest last spring at 4.30.

If it is indeed Averett who looks to hold down that starting cornerback spot this article makes me feel really good for the young man - especially if he gains it by the suspected scenario....

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/06/speedy_alabama_cornerback_cont.html

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

Transfers leaving Saban's program have found very little success. Would Kamara be judged as the most successful post Bama career ? Sentimore ? Ely ? The history hasn't been good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

This makes no sense??? Hasn't Sheffield been playing the other 1st team CB spot all fall?? What has changed in less than a week?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Transfers leaving Saban's program have found very little success. Would Kamara be judged as the most successful post Bama career ? Sentimore ? Ely ? The history hasn't been good so far.

Dee Hart did really well at Colorado St with CJM. For the most part though, they haven't done much.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Either way it is worrisome.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Yeah, hard to disagree. Not so much on an individual basis -- getting unhappy players out is generally a good thing -- but what the number of transfers says about team chemistry and buy-in is troublesome.

Plus, two of them were DBs that were expected to be in the rotation, and Tony Brown out for the first four games. Depth at DB is an issue, and an injury could be really bad news. USCw is breaking in a new QB, but Chad Kelly has to be smiling right about now.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Yeah, hard to disagree. Not so much on an individual basis -- getting unhappy players out is generally a good thing -- but what the number of transfers says about team chemistry and buy-in is troublesome.

Plus, two of them were DBs that were expected to be in the rotation, and Tony Brown out for the first four games. Depth at DB is an issue, and an injury could be really bad news. USCw is breaking in a new QB, but Chad Kelly has to be smiling right about now.
If true - it does make me wonder about the DB group and chemistry with coach Ansley. Smith certainly seemed like it was an issue with the 'new staff', and now two more from the same group, with at least one of them in competition for a starting role. I also would have thought that Burgess-becker would have been competing for a role also before he left.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

Unfortunately, these 3 recent departures mean DB recruiting is crucial again.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Unfortunately, these 3 recent departures mean DB recruiting is crucial again.

Any more DB`s on the board? Was hoping that we could concentrate on the D and O line but looks like we may not what with all this. JUCO DB`s ?? Think about this. If anybody leaves, they`re likely to be a 4 or 5* just because of our recruiting success over the last few years. That`s just amazing to me !

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

Saw some posts where the same attrition occurred when Pruitt signed on at UGA (regarding the DBs)

Is there some kind of requirement he has for the spot, or is he pushing them beyond what they expected even beneath Saban?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Actually we did really well with that in this last recruiting class.
yep - we've signed 5 guys who've been slotted as DBs across the last two classes, so there are a lot of guys there, but we've already lost 20% of them so I think we'll have to continue that focus to make sure we have the depth we need, especially since we play with 5 DBs in our most common alignment and pretty often play with 6.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I want to remind everyone that we have the following players:
Jared Mayden
Eddie Jackson
Shyheim Carter
Tony Brown (suspended 4-6 games)
Trevon Diggs (WR/Safety)
Nigel Knott ( Should be okay to go later August, but could redshirt, but who knows)
Deionte Thompson
Ronnie Harrison
Rogria Lewis
Aaron Robinson
Marlon Humphrey
Anthony Averett
Torin Marks
Nate Staskelunas
Donavan Mosley
Levi Wallace
Bo Grant

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

I want to remind everyone that we have the following players:
Jared Mayden
Eddie Jackson
Shyheim Carter
Tony Brown (suspended 4-6 games)
Trevon Diggs (WR/Safety)
Nigel Knott ( Should be okay to go later August, but could redshirt, but who knows)
Deionte Thompson
Ronnie Harrison
Rogria Lewis
Aaron Robinson
Marlon Humphrey
Anthony Averett
Torin Marks
Nate Staskelunas
Donavan Mosley
Levi Wallace
Bo Grant

I only count 6 scholarship players that aren't freshmen on that list and 1 is suspended for 4-6 games? I am not familiar with some of those names so could be wrong about that... Doesn't make me feel too good about the situation.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: What's Up With Kendall Sheffield? (Posts from Practice Thread)

I have issue with this article: 1. they based it on a guy named Stephen smith, his information have been wrong more than he has been right. I've had to correct him several times on twitter in the last few months. 2. The following statement isn't accurate:
" With sophomore defensive backs Marlon Humphrey and Minkah Fitzpatrick projected as Alabama’s top two cornerbacks, Sheffield was competing for a backup spot along with a host of members from the Crimson Tide secondary."

He wasn't competing for backup. He was competing for the opposite side of Humphrey. He had a huge opportunity.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.