What's Up With Kendall Sheffield? (UPDATE: Reportedly Transferring)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Re: What's Up With Kendall Sheffield? (Posts from Practice Thread)

I feel like there's just too much assumption here. Assuming he's unhappy with [insert something here]. And it may be true. But until there's a definite, confirmed, story. I'm going to go with he's a young man who is unhappy about something, or dealing with something.
He was heavily recruited by Sumlin and TAMU as well. A&M is less than a 2 hour drive from his house. 99 - 290 - Hwy 6.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

Think we can attribute Mo leaving to Kirby and Mel Tucker. Whether they did it behind the scenes or what, they appear to be the reason he left.

Then, we get KS possibly leaving. A fellow Texan DB reportedly close with Mo who was recruited by Bo Davis and Kirby.

There's a common denominator here.
I'm certainly not an insider on this and no one has told me anything personally, but I'm starting to share this opinion. Tucker had a great approach with the players. They responded to him positively. He is a great family man. I'm not saying Ansley isn't, but some guys react differently to different personalities. Just wondering.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I'm certainly not an insider on this and no one has told me anything personally, but I'm starting to share this opinion. Tucker had a great approach with the players. They responded to him positively. He is a great family man. I'm not saying Ansley isn't, but some guys react differently to different personalities. Just wondering.

This is in line with things that I am hearing too. Ansley may indeed be a fine position coach, but it APPEARS that that some of these guys had a better relationship with Mel Tucker and I've heard that this specifically was an important factor in the Maurice Smith ordeal, moreso than even Kirby Smart.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Saban's statement yesterday mentioned Sheffield's family. Similar to Mo Smith, it would appear that a parent or other adult is injecting him/herself into the situation.

Still upset with the SEC for hanging Saban out to dry on Smith. It's only one situation, but Sankey looked like Mark Emmert (NCAA president) with that little two-step. Doubt it gets to that point if Slive were still in the chair.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What's Up With Kendall Sheffield? (Posts from Practice Thread)

He was heavily recruited by Sumlin and TAMU as well. A&M is less than a 2 hour drive from his house. 99 - 290 - Hwy 6.
Not sure if this is his account or not but based on your comments it might be legitimate..

Last edited:

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

Not sure if this is his account or not but based on your comments it might be legitimate..

4 Total posts smells of troll...

Could be legit, but it definitely has the underside of a bridge aroma

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

it involves his father, who apparently is the one upset with playing time.....

JustinT256

1st Team
Sep 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio

4 Total posts smells of troll...

Could be legit, but it definitely has the underside of a bridge aroma
I was just about to say this. & usually kids like this have way more followers than people they are following. I'd be willing to bet this is a fake page.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

Saban's statement yesterday mentioned Sheffield's family. Similar to Mo Smith, it would appear that a parent or other adult is injecting him/herself into the situation.

Still upset with the SEC for hanging Saban out to dry on Smith. It's only one situation, but Sankey looked like Mark Emmert (NCAA president) with that little two-step. Doubt it gets to that point if Slive were still in the chair.

Exactly. I can't imagine after that little debacle every coach sends someone out after the ear of a family member of those waiting their turn in Tuscaloosa. :mad2:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I haven't seen this addressed--sorry if it has...if he does show up somewhere else, can he play this year, or does he have to sit out a year?
He would have to sit a year. If he wants to transfer and be eligible to play somewhere else next year then he needs to hurry up and get transferred. School starts this week at most places. If he waits till the spring to transfer then he would have to sit next year also. (Think I got that right someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I hope some of these things aren't true, because if you don't have the patience to wait your turn and work to get more playing time I don't really know what to say for you. Blake Simms and Jake Coker are the poster children for being patient for their time along with Ingram, Richardson, Lacey, Yeldon, Henry. Things turned out pretty good for these guys waiting it out and putting in the hard work.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama

As a parent I would be thankful for the opportunity for my child to get a college degree. Bama has tremendous resources to assist student athletes in the pursuit of a degree coupled with an 86% graduation rate, the highest in the SEC. Playing time only becomes important if I'm trying to cash in financially as the parent of an NFL player.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

As a parent I would be thankful for the opportunity for my child to get a college degree. Bama has tremendous resources to assist student athletes in the pursuit of a degree coupled with an 86% graduation rate, the highest in the SEC. Playing time only becomes important if I'm trying to cash in financially as the parent of an NFL player.
And, unfortunately, that's not guaranteed. One wrong hit or bad cut (running) and bye bye knee, or ankle or, tibia. And then, if you happen to get in the pros, what are the numbers regarding athletes being broke after they leave? 80% within 3 years per SI. What better way to secure your future than get a degree that can keep you employed well after that alleged NFL "career" fades away in the rear view mirror.

Kudos to Coach Saban for graduating so many of his players.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

. Thanks for confirming this. This fit with the report he left with his dad after the Saturday scrimmage.
still doesn't seem like transferring would get him on the field faster since he was heavily in the mix. It's somewhat likely Hump will be gone after this season, so if KS is in the mix now as a CB, he'd be next in line and would probably be getting a lot of package reps in some role and should be able to move into a starting slot in 2017 and he'd be seasoned and could go pro after that, in theory.

If the transfers, the earliest he'll even see meaningful practice reps is spring of 2017 (during the season coaches don't spend real reps on kids how can't play), so he'll get less coaching and be behind. Then maybe he can make the field in 17, but not have as much experience and with only one year of PT, not as likely to be able to turn pro. So how's this help him get to the NFL faster?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

We'll win with you or we'll win without you. I guess every person has to decide for himself what is important to his own well-being and future. I hope he stays and makes a positive contribution. If he decides not to do that I wish him the best.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

Like others are saying this pretty much sounds about right on par after Kendall left with his father Saturday. It really is a shame if his father does not let him continue to play for Bama. Kid was going to get some good action this year and maybe even start next year as a redshirt sophomore,

after Humphrey takes his game to the NFL next season. Truth be told he would be a injury away from probably becoming a starter this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.