What's Up With Kendall Sheffield? (UPDATE: Reportedly Transferring)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I will say one thing. The secondary was the obvious weak spot on Alabama's defense for a while. It did improve, and saying there's a weak spot on the defense is kind of like saying you date one of the worst looking supermodels. I recall seeing a stat about the secondary giving up big plays last year, so it isn't as though Mel Tucker fixed all the issues.

I say that to say this, may be the secondary could use a bit of a purge and a little more pressure being put on these guys. There's plenty of talent there, and the secondary can be a real asset. Perhaps there's a silver lining in here in terms of raising the bar, if these guys are leaving because they just feel they can't cut it.

Last edited:

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
I hope Sheffield goes to A&M, because that means we'll score even more points off of them Aggies!

RTR!!!!!!!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't get why Smith left because he was going to contribute this year. I think he might have even forced Tony Brown into dime and backup safety even once he became eligible. Sheffield, I think he felt like he was going to get lost in the shuffle. The new DBs have made some splashes and he wasn't the #1 choice for Cyrus Jones' old spot.

At either rate we're hurting now because 1 definite contributor was lost, 1 guy with the talent to take over a spot over the season abandoned ship, and 1 guy did some things that got him ineligible for a third of the regular season. We need Averett, Jones, and at least one of the freshmen to be ready to go by game 1 now. What looked to be one of our more solid CB groups in awhile got shaky quick.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
If I may again ask for clarification If his release restricted him from going to an SEC school, it doesn't seem like much of a restriction if he can go to Blinn then to the SEC and play immediately.

Last edited:

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
We've won many a championship with far less depth and talent at DB in the last ten years, we'll be fine.

RTR!!!!!

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
If I may again ask for clarification If his release restricted him from going to an SEC school, it doesn't seem like much of a restriction if he can go to Blinn then to the SEC and play immediately.
Alvin Kamara did the same thing before enrolling at UT.He basically can't transfer to a sec school this season. By him enrolling in Juco he will be able to enroll at a sec school by spring practice so there are obviously loop holes

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Sure seems like a stupid family decision to miss a whole year of eligibility at the eleventh hour of the season start, like this has played out. His dad must be drinking too many high balls on the couch at night.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
CNS was the bad guy a few years ago for offering 1 year schlarships. He offers 4 year and look what happens. Smith gets basically free school and a degree and bolts. Both of these took reps away from others and 2 damn scholarships away. No respect for either and any former coaches involved.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
CNS was the bad guy a few years ago for offering 1 year schlarships. He offers 4 year and look what happens. Smith gets basically free school and a degree and bolts. Both of these took reps away from others and 2 damn scholarships away. No respect for either and any former coaches involved.
This is the part that really burns me. They were getting a lot of reps all through the spring and summer camp that we could have invested in guys who are still on the roster. Plus I'm sure they were also out there getting reps during the 7-7 that the players organize.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I have always heard that it is harder to quit the first time than the second. Whose to say they will even last at their next school. There is a right way and a wrong way to leave your current situation and we have seen that in the not so distant past with our guys and other teams' guys. Maurice Smith and Kendall Sheffield didn't leave the way they should have. I am guessing their friends on the team wished them well, but I can't imagine why a lot of people wouldn't view them as quitting on the team for a lot of the reasons stated above.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
I have always heard that it is harder to quit the first time than the second. Whose to say they will even last at their next school. There is a right way and a wrong way to leave your current situation and we have seen that in the not so distant past with our guys and other teams' guys. Maurice Smith and Kendall Sheffield didn't leave the way they should have. I am guessing their friends on the team wished them well, but I can't imagine why a lot of people wouldn't view them as quitting on the team for a lot of the reasons stated above.

My old high school coach, (Murray Trimble, of Junction Boys fame) used to always say, "Once a quitter, always a quitter."

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I'm really getting worried with all this attrition.
The root cause here is we have too much talent! The optimal solution is to employ an oscillating recruiting strategy. As CNS clearly hasn't thought of this, let me explain it to him through TideFans (I'm pretty sure CNS is either TommyMac or dabaxter).

In, say, odd years, get all the four and five stars you can. In even years, take no recruits rated higher than two stars - preferably, guys with NO STARS AT ALL. The four and five star guys from odd years will feel secure in having at least a couple of years' playing time before the next group of blue chips arrives, and won't feel the need to transfer. The even numbered nobodies will just be happy to have clean clothes to wear every Saturday during football season, and no other coaches will try to poach them. Problem solved!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The root cause here is we have too much talent! The optimal solution is to employ an oscillating recruiting strategy. As CNS clearly hasn't thought of this, let me explain it to him through TideFans (I'm pretty sure CNS is either TommyMac or dabaxter).

In, say, odd years, get all the four and five stars you can. In even years, take no recruits rated higher than two stars - preferably, guys with NO STARS AT ALL. The four and five star guys from odd years will feel secure in having at least a couple of years' playing time before the next group of blue chips arrives, and won't feel the need to transfer. The even numbered nobodies will just be happy to have clean clothes to wear every Saturday during football season, and no other coaches will try to poach them. Problem solved!
Go home, Gus. You're drunk.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
5 x 100 = 500 > 20 x 20 = 400
I know. From the context, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that he was saying he would rather have fewer people with "X" amount of talent in the aggregate than more people with the same "X" amount of talent in the aggregate; i.e., that the two were the same. Otherwise, the expression made no sense to me (because who wouldn't rather have $500 than $400?). If I was mistaken, and that was not what he was trying to say, then mea culpa...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
While experienced depth at corner isn't ideal it's not to the point we're thin.

We are short on numbers and inexperienced at Safety. To add depth there a true frosh WR and RSF OLB are having to step up and learn the position. It may end up S is a better fit for these two. I'm pretty sure some other players will get a look at the Safety position too.
Cyrus Jones says hello. :wink:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Cyrus Jones says hello. :wink:
True - Cyrus was told coming in he'd probably be best suited for CB, but wanted to try his hand at WR so the staff gave him a chance.

many schools recruited Diggs as primarily a DB so it's not a stretch he's moving around to see the best fit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.