Link: Burton Burns is the Hidden Force Behind Alabama's Dominant Ground Game

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

When Alabama's offense takes the field against USC on Sept. 3 in Arlington, Texas, everyone knows what to expect. After 10 years of this, who dots the "I" in the I-formation is almost beside the point. What matters is that Nick Saban's team is expected to continue to produce one of the best running games in college football, to yield yet another star running back.

Think about it: when the Doak Walker Watch List was released in July, both Bo Scarbrough and Damien Harris were on it. Combined starts: zero. And what's more bizarre is that Scarbrough, a redshirt sophomore with fewer than 20 career carries, is considered by some to be a Heisman Trophy contender. According to a release from the Westgate Las Vegas Superbook this spring, Scarbrough is listed at 25-to-1 odds to win the trophy, ahead of the likes of Oregon's Royce Freeman and Oklahoma's Samaje Perine.

It's a product of the system, people say. Saban and the recruiting juggernaut he has built ultimately get the bulk of the credit.

But those discussions are flawed. Most analysis of Alabama's success at running back involve a name that usually goes unsaid, a common denominator that is too often overlooked.

He's a former Nebraska fullback and lifelong assistant coach. He's hard-nosed on the field and deeply caring off it. He's set to turn 64 in October, a native of New Orleans and the son of a Marine who fought in World War II and was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal. He's the only assistant remaining from Saban's first staff at Alabama in 2007 and the teacher to the school's only two Heisman Trophy winners.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
Thanks for posting this. CBB deserves more fan love than he gets. I got his autograph and chatted with him for a moment at fan day a couple of years ago. Cool guy, and obviously an awesome coach.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I am so blessed to count him as a friend. He's an awesome coach but an even better person. We are blessed to have him at Alabama!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.