Coker in AZ

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
Hasn't been a ton of news on him. The last thing I read was that he was struggling and inconsistent. I watched him against Oakland. He only played a couple of series, but didn't look comfortable. He was 2/5 for 16 yards.

Sent from my STUDIO SELFIE using Tapatalk

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Hasn't been a ton of news on him. The last thing I read was that he was struggling and inconsistent. I watched him against Oakland. He only played a couple of series, but didn't look comfortable. He was 2/5 for 16 yards.

From what I've read, they love his arm strength, but are working on his mechanics, particularly his footwork.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
You hear this type of criticism all the time about rookie QBs. What I always wonder is, how do so many make it through college and get signed despite deficiencies in mechanics and footwork? Why don't those issues get worked out during college? Isn't that at least part of what college coaches should do if they want to attract QB prospects to their programs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
From what I've read, they love his arm strength, but are working on his mechanics, particularly his footwork.
I read that about his footwork and mechanics also. Said he was accurate with proper form, but that was where the inconsistency was coming from.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I read that about his footwork and mechanics also. Said he was accurate with proper form, but that was where the inconsistency was coming from.

He made some UNBELIEVABLE throws this season. He would be plodding along making some average or even ho-hum plays and then make a throw that causes your eyes to just about pop-out of your head. The scramble TD throw to Stewart in the back of the end-zone against Auburn, the other throw to Stewart on 3rd down down the right sideline against Clemson, the fireball TD pass to Mullaney against Florida in the SECCG, the fade TD pass to Ridley by the left pylon against Michigan State in the Cotton Bowl, the first deep TD pass to Ridley against Georgia where he hit him in stride. When he's doing what he is supposed to be doing he succeeds. He has massive amounts of natural and athletic talent that bailed him out but his reliance on those traits also got him in trouble a couple of times. If he can become precise with his mechanics I wouldn't be surprised if he could be a very valuable backup in about 2 years time.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
You hear this type of criticism all the time about rookie QBs. What I always wonder is, how do so many make it through college and get signed despite deficiencies in mechanics and footwork? Why don't those issues get worked out during college? Isn't that at least part of what college coaches should do if they want to attract QB prospects to their programs?
The short answer is limited practice time.

A longer answer is that when you're talking about a successful QB, coaches are often afraid of screwing up what works (See Tebow, Tim).

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
I think having only 1 year of playing time is really gonna hurt him. He's behind where he needs to be to make an NFL roster, and he's running out of time quickly. To his advantage Matt Barkley is sucking it up for the most part, but I don't think the Cards are gonna have the patience to wait on him.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
he's not getting enough opportunities to show what he can do in the game. in the last week game, Barkley was in the game and he struggled for the most part, and at some point, I kept saying that they need to put Coker in 3rd quarter to see how he does. They didn't do that. They put Coker in with like 4 mins left in the game. So it wasn't really well managed situation by the coaching staff. I expect the next two games to be battled for last no.3 spot.

Realistically, Coker could end up on practice squad.

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL
The ability of Barkley is well known by the coaching staff. The upside is not really there as far as arm strength. The upside is there with Coker if they can fix his inconsistencies. I would think they might keep Coker as a number 3 QB on the practice squad and hope with coaching they could fix those issues. Who knows though. Many teams only carry 2 QB's.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.