News Article: Florida Names Luke Del Rio Starting QB

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
LINK

"Luke is going to work as the starter the rest of camp and start in the season opener barring any unforeseen development," McElwain said. "Our other quarterbacks remain in the plans and are ready to move forward and help the Gators any way they can."
Del Rio said earlier this month that new Beavers coach Gary Andersen told him he wouldn't play at Oregon State. "It was Tuesday about 6:50 in the morning when they told me, and I still had to go to practice because it was during spring drills," Del Rio recalled. "It hurt. It hurt a lot. I asked them, 'So do you want me to transfer?' That's when they said, 'Look, we're not telling you to do anything. We're just telling you that you'll never play here.'"
Had not heard the part where Oregon State coaches told him he wouldn't play.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Huh... so a coach who has just arrived tells one of his qbs that he'll never play. Is that a schematic thing? How could a coach know after so little time?

This transfer trend is gaining steam.

Prediction -- in the near future beside the coaching carousel thread, there will be a transfers carousel thread tracking the yearly shakeup of players going school to school under the new more liberal interpretation of the rules.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Huh... so a coach who has just arrived tells one of his qbs that he'll never play. Is that a schematic thing? How could a coach know after so little time?

This transfer trend is gaining steam.

Prediction -- in the near future beside the coaching carousel thread, there will be a transfers carousel thread tracking the yearly shakeup of players going school to school under the new more liberal interpretation of the rules.
I actually think we should have one. It gets confusing.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I actually root for the Beavers, because my wife went there and she make me. To clarify, this is Coach Andersen's second season upcoming. The Beavs were an illustrious 2-10 last year.

Now you're telling me a QB that is good enough to start for the Florida Gators is not good enough to even have a chance to play at OSU. I mean, did Deshaun Watson transfer to Corvallis without anyone knowing? This slays me. I find this to be incomprehensible.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I actually root for the Beavers, because my wife went there and she make me. To clarify, this is Coach Andersen's second season upcoming. The Beavs were an illustrious 2-10 last year.

Now you're telling me a QB that is good enough to start for the Florida Gators is not good enough to even have a chance to play at OSU. I mean, did Deshaun Watson transfer to Corvallis without anyone knowing? This slays me. I find this to be incomprehensible.
Well, did you see much of uf quarterback play last year?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The day is coming (and soon) when college football will have Open Enrollment the third week in January just like with Medicare. Players will decide where they want to play and then the coaches can adjust NSD accordingly. We might like that better anyway.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
To clarify, this is Coach Andersen's second season upcoming.
Del Rio transferred in 2014 and already sat out a year. He had been the back up under Riley and actually had some game experience. Andersen had been there maybe 3 or 4 months when he purportedly told Del Rio he would never play. According to Del Rio this was still during that first spring practice.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
This new genius coach at Ore State must run a triple option or something
I was talking to a friend about thistoday and he said he remembers something about the reason State told him he could not play for them, was because they did not feel he was the type QB they needed to run their offense.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Good news for Luke, bad news for McElwain if that is the best he's got.
Why do you say that? I thought that's the best quarterback to run McElwain's offense. Luke is a pretty good QB and will do just fine at Florida. Former Bama players are excited for him. Kenyan Drake, and Reggie Ragland showed support for him.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
And this is why Oregon State is Oregon State.

I thought Del Rio looked pretty good in their spring game, whatever that's worth, and I think under McElwain he can be good enough for them to win provided other pieces on offense come together.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Good news for Luke, bad news for McElwain if that is the best he's got.
McElwain won the east with Treon Harris as his QB.
Luke del Rio is a better QB than Harris.
Luke del Rio has a better football mind than Harris (that has always been del Rio's strength, btw).

My guess is that Coach Mac is delighted about his QB situation.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.