USC-AL in Dallas (Introducing to the board)

Trojaneen

Aug 12, 2016
Thanks for allowing me to join your board. I've been enjoying it for the last 2 months, as we anticipate our trip to Dallas.

I attended the SC-AL game in Birmingham in 1978. We also visited your campus as college students, and had a great time. These are my vivid memories: 1. The campus was beautiful 2. Live bands played at many of your fraternities and sororities, and they were excellent 3. The Tide fans couldn't have been nicer, even after they lost. We had a tremendous experience, and it is one of my all-time favorite away games.

Random thought on the "Roll Tears Roll" tshirt - it's lame. I'm sorry that it is out there.

Regarding the song "Tusk"... You may be angered or shocked when you hear our band play it, but it has ZERO to do with Alabama. Our band played on the original platinum recording with Fleetwood Mac almost 40 years ago. They consistently play with Fleetwood Mac for live performances, and Fleetwood Mac has played for our halftime. It is one our most beloved classics and it will undoubtedly be played in Dallas. Look it up on YouTube for a long history of renditions. Again, there is NO connection to this particular game.

How many fans do you think will travel to Dallas? I attend nearly every game, and have for decades. We travel very well, but this may be our largest away crowd ever, for a non-northern California game. I hope both sides have a good turnout.

Congratulations on on your ability to stay "on the mountain top" for the last several years. Saban is an excellent coach. We know the challenges of being the best - the haters, the bandwagons, the wannabes... but, it's glorious. Enjoy it while you have it, because it doesn't last forever.

I hope we have a great game, everyone stays healthy and we treat each other with respect. It should be a fantastic opener and weekend. Fight On!

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Re: USC-AL in Dallas

Welcome to our neck of the woods! Bama fans generally travel well, so we should have a good presence in Dallas. We're pretty psyched about the matchup--though to be perfectly honest, I'd prefer a home and home over a one-off neutral site game. But it is what it is.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Didn't the Million Dollar Band start playing Tusk a couple of years ago?

The Roll Tears Roll shirt is no big deal. There are plenty of corny Alabama shirts out there too. We'll certainly mock them, to be sure, but it is what it is.

I think the game will be well attended by both sides and I also think it's going to be a really good evenly played game. I expect us to win, but wouldn't be shocked if USC pulled the upset.

Thank you for the kind words and welcome to Tidefans.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

First time I heard "Tusk"/"Elephant Stomp" was at the Florida game in 2010 but my brother told me it's been around a bit. From what I understand of the original Tusk song, this was played by your marching band for Fleetwood Mac in 79 (I think). My favorite playing of it from us was after the LSU game when McCarron hit TJ Yeldon for the winning score. I love that version of it :)

I first started watching Bama in 78. I was 9 and I remember that game against the Trojans pretty well. I now live in Colorado and get to watch a lot of USC games. I have to say I enjoy them. Yeah, the t-shirt is silly but it is what it is. I would not be surprised if some of our own fans have something similar. I remember seeing a lot of Urban Cryer shirts in Tuscaloosa a few years back. I cringed when I saw them.

Like someone said, I expect us to win but an upset would not be terribly surprising. Likewise, I hope it's a great game and no injuries -- we both have a long season ahead. Best of luck to your Trojans and Welcome Aboard! Class is always welcome here and your post fits.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

I will say, having spent my life splitting between USC and Alabama games, the USC marching band will have a better halftime show performance than Alabama. Disappoints me to say that but I believe it to be true. Good thing they don't award wins based on the best halftime show.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN

Welcome to TF! Can't wait to see two tradition-rich programs play each other. I'll be looking forward to seeing the USC band play "Tusk". I remember seeing the Fleetwood Mac VHI special and the USC band performing with them.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

Welcome Trojaneen! I think we'll have a good turnout in Dallas. The T-shirt thing is kinda silly, but I guess some people buy them. I look forward to playing ya'll and I think it will be a good game. Please bring the song girls!

Trojaneen

Aug 12, 2016

Welcome Trojaneen! I think we'll have a good turnout in Dallas. The T-shirt thing is kinda silly, but I guess some people buy them. I look forward to playing ya'll and I think it will be a good game. Please bring the song girls!
I am certain that the song girls will be there. If I remember correctly, there is a possibility that Traveler may also make the trip.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
How many fans do you think will travel to Dallas? I attend nearly every game, and have for decades. We travel very well, but this may be our largest away crowd ever, for a non-northern California game. I hope both sides have a good turnout.
In 2012 BAMA-Michigan was packed, set a record inside Jerry World for a college game. Cowboys PSL holders were allowed to buy 1 for every 1 they owned.

Last year for BAMA-Wisconsin the Wisconsin side had about 40% of the upper deck empty. There were empty seats in the middle level too. The BAMA side had fewer empty seats but, probably had 20% of the upper deck empty. According to a Cowboys season ticket rep Wisconsin and BAMA both returned 5K+ tickets. PSL holders were allowed 2 for every 1 they owned. Plus they put tickets on sale to the public.

This year the schools requested fewer seats and PSL holders were offered 20/50/100 seat packages. After that, regular season ticket holders were offered tickets without limits. The public has been able to buy for about 2 months with no limits. When I added tickets several weeks ago, my friends ticket rep said more than 15k were unsold, demand is lowest it has been since they started the Cowboy Classic. Expecting 70k fans.

I really think the CFP is causing ticket sales to the season opening big match ups to suffer. I wouldn't be surprised if the games died off or, went regional where BAMA doesn't come out to Dallas and you see aTm-OU, TCU-Arkansas type games where both schools are within a 5 hour drive.

Trojaneen

Aug 12, 2016
In 2012 BAMA-Michigan was packed, set a record inside Jerry World for a college game. Cowboys PSL holders were allowed to buy 1 for every 1 they owned.

Last year for BAMA-Wisconsin the Wisconsin side had about 40% of the upper deck empty. There were empty seats in the middle level too. The BAMA side had fewer empty seats but, probably had 20% of the upper deck empty. According to a Cowboys season ticket rep Wisconsin and BAMA both returned 5K+ tickets. PSL holders were allowed 2 for every 1 they owned. Plus they put tickets on sale to the public.

This year the schools requested fewer seats and PSL holders were offered 20/50/100 seat packages. After that, regular season ticket holders were offered tickets without limits. The public has been able to buy for about 2 months with no limits. When I added tickets several weeks ago, my friends ticket rep said more than 15k were unsold, demand is lowest it has been since they started the Cowboy Classic. Expecting 70k fans.

I really think the CFP is causing ticket sales to the season opening big match ups to suffer. I wouldn't be surprised if the games died off or, went regional where BAMA doesn't come out to Dallas and you see aTm-OU, TCU-Arkansas type games where both schools are within a 5 hour drive.
Thank you for the response. You answered a lot of questions that we had.

I am guessing that we might outnumber the Tide at this game for a few reasons: 1. We've never played at Cowboy stadium before, while you have. The novelty can only last so long. 2. The playoff and NC are very expensive. Your fans shelled out a lot of money, if they travelled to those games, while we went to northern CA and San Diego for our post season. Both are relatively inexpensive and short trips for us, especially compared to your post season. 3. I don't know if ticket prices are the same from all sources, but we were offered $100, $200 and $300 seats. That is a lot of money to get a decent seat, especially when you're adding a flight, hotel and expenses.

With that said, I know many Trojans who will be traveling to the game. The combination of Bama, Cowboy stadium and Labor Day weekend is enough to entice us to open our wallets. I hope that plenty of Tide fans are there as well.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Thank you for the response. You answered a lot of questions that we had.

I am guessing that we might outnumber the Tide at this game for a few reasons: 1. We've never played at Cowboy stadium before, while you have. The novelty can only last so long. 2. The playoff and NC are very expensive. Your fans shelled out a lot of money, if they travelled to those games, while we went to northern CA and San Diego for our post season. Both are relatively inexpensive and short trips for us, especially compared to your post season. 3. I don't know if ticket prices are the same from all sources, but we were offered $100, $200 and $300 seats. That is a lot of money to get a decent seat, especially when you're adding a flight, hotel and expenses.

With that said, I know many Trojans who will be traveling to the game. The combination of Bama, Cowboy stadium and Labor Day weekend is enough to entice us to open our wallets. I hope that plenty of Tide fans are there as well.
Face is $100, $200 and $300. I believe we got a 10% discount buying the bulk PSL package. When I bought the additional tix a few weeks ago the rep told us their were more tix left on the USC side than the BAMA side. I expect in the end the split to be pretty close to 50/50.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Can you explain the USC-UCLA demographics to me? On this state, we are viewed as the elite while the other SEC school as more rural. Is that how it is with y'all? Do you have a derisive nickname for UCLA like we do for the barn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Can you explain the USC-UCLA demographics to me? On this state, we are viewed as the elite while the other SEC school as more rural. Is that how it is with y'all? Do you have a derisive nickname for UCLA like we do for the barn?

The two schools are not far from each other. UCLA is in the Westwood area and USC is just south of the Downtown area. Both are great academic schools but I would give the nod to USC, my bias could be the reason. Westwood was definitely a nice area when I was out there but I understand that there has been a lot of revitalization in the area around SC. My ex fiance 's family owned and managed many of the properties around the campus and we primarily rented to only students.

Trojaneen

Aug 12, 2016

USC is a private school, while UCLA is a state school. Both have highly selective admissions standards and are very difficult to get into - under 20% admission rate.

USC was founded in 1880 and it is near the heart of LA. The area is becoming rapidly gentrified, as downtown and USC are merging into one region. It's a hot spot for millennials and urbanites. The LA Memorial Coliseum, Science Center, Natural History Museum and Space Shuttle are all across the street from campus. Staples Center (home to Lakers and Clippers) is a mile down the street, along with LA Live. There is a a lot to do in the area. We are probably best known for our Trojan Family, which means our roots are deep and we take care of each other. Our networking is exceptional.

UCLA is in Westwood, which is a sleepier neighborhood with an older crowd. It is not far from the Getty Center and Beverly Hills. They were originally an extension campus of UC Berkley, and were founded in 1919. It has a much larger campus. Both campuses are beautiful. There is plenty to do on the Westside, but transportation is more challenging and not as close in proximity. The campuses are about 14 miles apart. UCLA students are primarily from CA, while SC is a very broad representation of the US and world.

Derisive nicknames - fUCLA, bRUINS are the most common. Like PepsiTrojan said, you will hear, "UCLA SUCKS", when we play Tusk.

PepsiTrojan

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 9, 2016

Here are some bullets:
- We share the same city (12 miles apart)
- We're both big schools that are pretty strong academically
- USC is private / UCLA is public
- USC was founded in 1880. UCLA came along 40 years later as a Cal extension campus
- UCLA wasn't really considered USC's primary rival until the 40's or so. Before that it was Stanford
- Traditionally, UCLA has basketball, USC has football
- The students and alum are much more alike than either wish to admit
- USC motto: "You're a bruin for 4 years and a Trojan for life" - While I know that sounds kind of lame, in my 30 years of living in Los Angeles, that tends to be true.

USC's rivals go in this order. I think most Trojan fans would agree with me:
1a. UCLA
1b. Notre Dame
2. Stanford (We really, really hate Stanford)
3. Cal

One thing to note about the Pac-12 that makes it very different from other conferences is that all but 3 (Oregon State, Oregon, and WSU) are in very large metropolitan areas. For better or worse, big cities breed a different kind of fan. Essentially, if you're not winning, we're not interested. I know that's a lousy mentality but having lived in 2 massive cities in the US, that's what I've observed.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

My USC parents taught me one - University of Caucasians Less than Asians...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.