Reviewable No-Calls

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Saw a presentation yesterday by an SEC Crew Chief / Referee.

There's an interesting rule change for this year -- a no-call of targeting can be reviewed and overruled by the replay official.

They also now have three guys in the SEC Office in Birmingham who monitor all the SEC games and consult on every reviewed call or no-call, whether targeting or otherwise. Wish I'd thought to ask how they handle games that aren't televised, but I didn't. Anyway, the hope is that it will will decrease the calls missed even though they were reviewed, and increase the consistency of interpretation of what does and doesn't constitute a rule violation.

So my curiosity piqued, I asked if there were any other no-calls that were reviewable. As in, if there is no call on the field, the review booth can overrule and make the call. I had been under the impression that no-calls were not reviewable.

Turns out, most aren't, but some are.

As stated in another thread, 12 men on the field / illegal participation can be called from the booth, even if missed on the field.

No call on an illegal forward pass is also reviewable. As in, if the QB crosses the LOS, then throws a forward pass, and the guys on the field miss it, the booth can review and potentially overrule.

There were a couple of others, but I can't recall them -- maybe player down?

Sadly, a no-call on illegal receiver downfield is not reviewable. That specific question was asked and answered.

Keep in mind, the refs don't make the rules....the coaches do. So if you don't like a rule, don't complain to the zebras. Complain to your coach.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There's a pretty big issue with the calls being reviewable from the booth - most teams who these penalties would be frequently called on run a HUNH offense. When they can snap the ball with only 10 seconds between plays it makes reviewing from the booth almost impossible. I like the reviews from the booth, in theory, just not sure how practical it is. I guess if a team makes a big play against you and your sure they had 12 men on the field the team on defense could call timeout and then the booth could review..

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I wish the coaches received one challenge per half. The constant replay timeouts are really annoying, especially when they still get it wrong so often. The idea that every play should be reviewed is insane, and so are all the stoppages of play.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.