Every Map Of Louisiana Is A Lie - What It Really Looks Like Should Scare You

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wow, I had no idea it was this bad...

According to the U.S.G.S., the state lost just under 1,900 square miles of land between 1932 and 2000. This is the rough equivalent of the entire state of Delaware dropping into the Gulf of Mexico, and the disappearing act has no closing date. If nothing is done to stop the hemorrhaging, the state predicts as much as another 1,750 square miles of land  —  an area larger than Rhode Island  —  will convert to water by 2064.

An area approximately the size of a football field continues to slip away every hour. “We’re sinking faster than any coast on the planet,” explains Bob Marshall, a Pulitzer-winning journalist in New Orleans. Marshall authored the series “Losing Ground,” a recent collaboration between The Lens, a non-profit newsroom, and ProPublica, about the Louisiana coast’s epic demise.
(emphasis mine)

http://www.businessinsider.com/loui...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
I noticed that much of it is along the Mississippi River. How much is caused from the floods and erosion of the Mississippi? Take that into consideration and that much of that land is already below sea level and it is pretty easy to understand.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I noticed that much of it is along the Mississippi River. How much is caused from the floods and erosion of the Mississippi? Take that into consideration and that much of that land is already below sea level and it is pretty easy to understand.
Before Euro-Americans got there, the Mississippi used to flood and deposit silt in the flood plane periodically, thus raising the level of what is now Louisiana over time. Louisianans have been building dikes since the early 1800s, so the silting process has largely stopped.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The main problem (I haven't read the article yet) is that the Mississippi no longer replenishes the delta with fresh soil. The real bugaboo is where the river really wants to go - the Atchafalaya Basin. Then, you've have the same effect on the west side of the state. Also, the map should include SE MS, in order to get the true picture...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Before Euro-Americans got there, the Mississippi used to flood and deposit silt in the flood plane periodically, thus raising the level of what is now Louisiana over time. Louisianans have been building dikes since the early 1800s, so the silting process has largely stopped.
You type faster (and better)... :D

tidegrandpa

All-American
James Eads fought with the Army Corps of Engineers over the practice of levees vs. jetties. His building the southwest pass of the Mississippi River in to the Gulf in the 1870's sped the river up to where silt no longer filled the bed and demanded dredging. He built the southwest pass with his own money and only collected from the government after proving over a period of time the lack of dredging needed to maintain the channel depth adequate for shipping.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Maybe Donald Trump needs to spend more time there. According to my Facebook feed, his visit to the flooded areas is the most humanitarian act in the history of the world.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I saw that clip. Pence has really sold his soul...
I didn't see anything about Pence. All I saw was a bunch of friends bragging about Trump going there while Obama was born playing golf.

Did Pence say/do something related to this? I don't think I've even seen him since he was nominated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
True, but there's more to go with that. As levees have been built all along the Mississippi upstream of Louisiana, the river now travels with somewhat greater speed and force. This is especially problematic near the mouth (hello, Louisiana!), as it emphatically accelerates erosion.

IOW, Louisiana is paying for it's own intrusion into the natural order of things, and the intrusion of others as well.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
All that grass Miles eats seems to be causing irrigation problems.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
True, but there's more to go with that. As levees have been built all along the Mississippi upstream of Louisiana, the river now travels with somewhat greater speed and force. This is especially problematic near the mouth (hello, Louisiana!), as it emphatically accelerates erosion.

IOW, Louisiana is paying for it's own intrusion into the natural order of things, and the intrusion of others as well.
I have read the antebellum Parish Police Minutes in parishes along the river. Across the south white men were liable for certain civic duties: jury duty, slave patrol duty, road maintenance duty. In Louisiana they also had levy maintenance duty.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I have read the antebellum Parish Police Minutes in parishes along the river. Across the south white men were liable for certain civic duties: jury duty, slave patrol duty, road maintenance duty. In Louisiana they also had levy maintenance duty.
I begin to wonder if there's anything you haven't read...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I didn't see anything about Pence. All I saw was a bunch of friends bragging about Trump going there while Obama was born playing golf.

Did Pence say/do something related to this? I don't think I've even seen him since he was nominated.

That's interesting, since he's been at The Donald's elbow. On their photo-op, which the governor had asked not to do, in order not to divert effort from relief activities, they were unloading a panel truck and somebody handed Trump a box of Play-Doh. Trump turned around and handed the box to Pence. Pence stared at it, like "what am I supposed to do with this." Then, he turned and gave it to some really big guy. It would have been funny, if it hadn't been one more example of how Trump views humankind...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The Corps has been so hip deep in the whole levy mess so long now, most people no longer remember, or ever knew, that the original levees were cooperative efforts at the grassroots level. It would have been better had they stayed that way...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.