Dak and Dallas

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
State was running the wrong offense with this guy. They would have won more games with him in a pro style attack. He looks like the future at Dallas for sure.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't see Garret surviving the season if they don't make the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Dak's problem isn't on the field. It's off the field. He got arrested for DUI the week of the combine IIRC. Got in a bar fight last year at MSU where he got hit over the head with a beer bottle. There's no doubt he's talented but he needs to clean up the off field antics. I also don't put a whole lot of stock in preseason. I think EJ Manuel had a similar start (maybe not as good but similar) during his preseason debut. He's turned out to be a bust. Long story short I still don't think Dak is someone you can build your team around. Just my opinion.

Just for reference these were the tweets about EJ Manuel during his inaugural preseason. He's running 3rd team now..

Last edited:

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Dak has looked incredible and when Romo retires or gets injured again he'll get his opportunity and will play a long time IMO.
However, as long as Romo is walking upright and making 18 miliion a year, he's Jerry's number one QB.
Jerry may just have to eat that big contract if (when)Romo goes down or the team underperforms. I doubt the fans will stand for a dinged up Romo leading the team to another mediocre season.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Goff was a shameless move to have a face to put on the franchise when they moved to LA. Get a California kid to be the face of a team who will likely be trash anyway. He'll be done as a NFL QB within 5 years...probably won't even start the majority of that time.

What a waste of a draft pick. And what they gave up for nothing more than a shameless marketing move to encourage season ticket buy-ins.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That's my point. He was the diamond in the rough. Since then they have tried to grab the next one before anyone else does so they are reaching big time with some of their picks. Jared Goff and Carson Wentz? Come on...
I've long said that if I was an NFL GM/coach, it seems to me it would be cheaper to offer tryouts to 20 names who didn't get drafted as QB, sign one for less, and find the next Kurt Warner-Tom Brady-etc. The Raiders would have gotten out a whole lot cheaper than what JaMarcus Russell cost them no doubt. Hell, even Tony Romo was a decent enough find if not in the class of the other two. Matt Hasselbeck was a sixth round pick, too.

It just seems to me it would be better to use those picks on something besides a quarterback. Yeah, Peyton and Elway were drafted high, but they were the exceptions. I can name five busts for every top five NFL quarterback pick you can name that was above average.

Even Joe Montana was a third round pick in 1979. Drafted ahead of him were Jack Thompson, Phil Simms and Steve Fuller. Fuller won a ring with the 85 Bears as a backup (well, he played in some games when McMahon was hurt, but who had to be any good at QB for the 85 Bears to win?) and Simms had that awesome Super Bowl game, but they weren't Montana.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
And then you've got #1 pick Jared Goff struggling mightily. Looking like anything but a first round pick.
What round was Tom Brady drafted again? Oh yeah...

And AJ was drafted late as well. I think AJ gets his shot, next year, not necessarily with the Bengals, but someone will need a quality QB to compete for a job. Falcons maybe?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Dak has the O-line to protect him, he does very well. He's got that with the Cowboys.
I think that's one of the big keys here. Not that Dak hasn't done his part, but it's a lot easier when you haven't been touched yet.

But DP is a great player and I too think he's the future Cowboy's QB once Romo flames out.

AND, if the Boys had a halfway decent defense they could probably win the superbowl!

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I've long said that if I was an NFL GM/coach, it seems to me it would be cheaper to offer tryouts to 20 names who didn't get drafted as QB, sign one for less, and find the next Kurt Warner-Tom Brady-etc. The Raiders would have gotten out a whole lot cheaper than what JaMarcus Russell cost them no doubt. Hell, even Tony Romo was a decent enough find if not in the class of the other two. Matt Hasselbeck was a sixth round pick, too.

It just seems to me it would be better to use those picks on something besides a quarterback. Yeah, Peyton and Elway were drafted high, but they were the exceptions. I can name five busts for every top five NFL quarterback pick you can name that was above average.

Even Joe Montana was a third round pick in 1979. Drafted ahead of him were Jack Thompson, Phil Simms and Steve Fuller. Fuller won a ring with the 85 Bears as a backup (well, he played in some games when McMahon was hurt, but who had to be any good at QB for the 85 Bears to win?) and Simms had that awesome Super Bowl game, but they weren't Montana.
Completely agree. The GMs are under a lot of pressure to "win now" and QB seems to be the biggest position of need for most teams, so they feel like they have to pick one early before someone else does. They need to just take their time and rethink their evaluation processes.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If Dak has the O-line to protect him, he does very well. He's got that with the Cowboys.
Dak may have the best O-line in the country. Give the Cowboys credit for that. That's why Demarco Murray had such a great season there. I expect Elliot will also have a great season. Now that Dallas has a quality back up QB, who may be better than Romo at this point, I think Dallas will make some noise offensively. Defensively, we shall see.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Romo has a broken bone in his back. Looks like Dallas fans get to see what Dak has to offer sooner than they had hoped.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would caution against reading too much into the pre-season. The 2008 Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the pre-season and never gave up more than ten points and then went 0-16 in REAL football. The 2007 Patriots that came within two minutes of a perfect season LOST their first two pre-season games that year.

The year Peyton Manning won his Super Bowl with Indy, they went 1-3 in the pre-season (2006). They also went 1-3 the year they lost to the Saints.

And last year they went 3-1.

So, who knows?

Dak is looking great against the used car salesmen, insurance agents, and third-rate XFL products who aren't blitzing so as to prevent injuries. I recall some folks touting Michael Sam as 'should be in the NFL' because of some great numbers he put up in the pre-season but these accomplishments don't really matter. They're like giving Andre Ware the Heisman Trophy because of his insane stats against ridiculously overmatched competition.

Ware threw for 4,699 yards and 46 touchdowns. But 1720 of those yards and 19 (nearly half) of those TDs came against UNLV (a terrible Big West team), death penalty ridden SMU, 2-8-1 Rice, and 1-10 Eastern Independent Temple. On top of that it meant nothing because Houston wasn't playing for anything due to probation.

LOTS of folks look good when it's not the highest level. Make no mistake - Dak MIGHT be a very good player, and I wish him well. But let's not marry the hawt girl with the fine figure just because she looks good in the dark with some alcohol imbibing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.