Dak and Dallas

tidegrandpa

All-American
I would caution against reading too much into the pre-season. The 2008 Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the pre-season and never gave up more than ten points and then went 0-16 in REAL football. The 2007 Patriots that came within two minutes of a perfect season LOST their first two pre-season games that year.

The year Peyton Manning won his Super Bowl with Indy, they went 1-3 in the pre-season (2006). They also went 1-3 the year they lost to the Saints.

And last year they went 3-1.

So, who knows?

Dak is looking great against the used car salesmen, insurance agents, and third-rate XFL products who aren't blitzing so as to prevent injuries. I recall some folks touting Michael Sam as 'should be in the NFL' because of some great numbers he put up in the pre-season but these accomplishments don't really matter. They're like giving Andre Ware the Heisman Trophy because of his insane stats against ridiculously overmatched competition.

Ware threw for 4,699 yards and 46 touchdowns. But 1720 of those yards and 19 (nearly half) of those TDs came against UNLV (a terrible Big West team), death penalty ridden SMU, 2-8-1 Rice, and 1-10 Eastern Independent Temple. On top of that it meant nothing because Houston wasn't playing for anything due to probation.

LOTS of folks look good when it's not the highest level. Make no mistake - Dak MIGHT be a very good player, and I wish him well. But let's not marry the hawt girl with the fine figure just because she looks good in the dark with some alcohol imbibing.
I agree that we shouldn't crown the head of Dak just yet, but remember, pre-season is how and when Romo won everybody's heart and the record didn't matter.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I agree that we shouldn't crown the head of Dak just yet, but remember, pre-season is how and when Romo won everybody's heart and the record didn't matter.
True enough, but this is why fans aren't football coaches. They go off of a memory of 'what happened one time' and assume when they get the next tingle that it's a divine epiphany. Dak might be great - in all seriousness, we really don't know. He might even win rookie of the year, but that doesn't translate into all-time greatness, either.

Time alone will tell - although he does at least appear to have a good start.

tidegrandpa

All-American
True enough, but this is why fans aren't football coaches. They go off of a memory of 'what happened one time' and assume when they get the next tingle that it's a divine epiphany. Dak might be great - in all seriousness, we really don't know. He might even win rookie of the year, but that doesn't translate into all-time greatness, either.

Time alone will tell - although he does at least appear to have a good start.
I laughed out loud, believe me Dak does not give me a "tingle". Still laughing.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Dak may have the best O-line in the country. Give the Cowboys credit for that. That's why Demarco Murray had such a great season there. I expect Elliot will also have a great season. Now that Dallas has a quality back up QB, who may be better than Romo at this point, I think Dallas will make some noise offensively. Defensively, we shall see.
My thoughts exactly. Great OL and RB's. I expect Dallas to do a Kiffin and design an offense (simplified) around Dak, and add to it slowly each week. Don't think we will see a 4 - 12 Dallas team this yr. If Dak can break even and Tony can come back in 8 to 9 weeks and stay healthy the Cowboys might still make the playoffs. Maybe.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
NFL GMs are obsessed with finding the next Tom Brady, when all they have to do is actually watch college football.
Tom Brady severely hurts the 2nd part of your sentence because if you had watched Tom Brady in college you would be saying the guy should be a later pick. You could make a strong case that the 49ers,Browns, and Steelers were fools for taking Carmazzi, Wynn, and Tee Martin over him since they had considerable views on him compared to the Jets, Saints, and Ravens. I think the three problems going against Brady are pretty clear:

1) Carr gave into the Michigan fanbase's wishes to allow Drew Henson to start. Henson was a considerable talent, but there was no reason to play him over Brady. Many scouts, gms, and coaches have said on a consistent basis that one of the biggest reasons they passed on Brady was that they were worried that there was a flaw in his game that made Carr juggle qbs in 99. Remember Carr was widely thought of in the late 90's, and Michigan was 2 years removed of a title during that year.

2) Brady's combine and his physical appearance: Well he didn't look like a future hall of famer in 2000

3) Tom Brady's numbers weren't that earth shattering in college. AJ's last two years blow Tom Brady's last two years away, but that could be due to talent, scheme, or etc. But the point is that Tom Brady wouldn't be a 1st or 2nd rounder today with his numbers.
Michigan
Big Ten
QB
Michigan
Big Ten
QB
vs AJ
Alabama
SEC
QB
Alabama
SEC
SR
QB
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/aj-mccarron-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tom-brady-1.html
He was the diamond in the rough.
Clearly he was, but again how do you justify picking Tom Brady then when the #1 qb entering the draft (Pennington who had a pretty darn good career) is the only qb selected in the first round of a defensive heavy draft, and is selected 18th . The next qb (Carmazzi) is selected in the 3rd round, and is one of the 3 of the Brady 6 that makes no sense. Then Redman was selected later in the 3rd, and was a Johnny Unitas Award winner under Bobby Petrino, so there was some upside to selecting him over Brady. I wont go any further because we know Bulger was decent, and Wynn and Martin were well under par.

Since then they have tried to grab the next one before anyone else does so they are reaching big time with some of their picks. .
Most #1 picks deal with money, extreme need, and enthusiasm. Remember this isn't the NBA style of drafting where it is chance of where you go in the draft. Teams 1-5 are bad teams that need to get the fans excited and needs to put butts in seats more than anything else. Owners and Gms have to revive a brand or be left behind, so their first picks are mostly picked on getting the fans back after a horrible season. Example would be Andrew Luck and the Colts. Picks 6-20 are usually the picks that are more strategic, and make sense in building a championship team.
Jared Goff
The Rams were in a more interesting situation than most #1 picks in that they were in the middle of a move, and had a home state sensation as a high draft pick available. It was a smart pick in building a new LA brand with a California kid with great numbers in a draft with few elite QBs.
California
Pac-12
SO
QB
California
Pac-12
JR
QB
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jared-goff-1.html

Carson Wentz
This is where I sorta agree with you, and its mostly due to the unknowns of FCS. NDSU would beat a good deal of FBS schools, but its hard to say how many and who. I think if Wentz is the man that fits the Eagles philosophy and there was considerable fear that they would lose him before the next time up to pick then maybe it was a good pick. But there are few FCS qbs that make it big in the NFL. Only 4 times has a FCS won the superbowl. So it was a considerable gamble

They need to just take their time and rethink their evaluation processes.
Where are you drawing the conclusions that they aren't? Every first 5 draft picks in the drafts from 11-15 with the exception of 13 seem to suit a franchise need, and some like 11 and 15 seems to actually produce some home run picks.

Carolina Panthers
Newton, Cam Newton [SUP][/SUP]
QB
Auburn
SEC
2010 Heisman Trophy winner[SUP][N 2][/SUP]
Denver Broncos
Miller, VonVon Miller [SUP][/SUP]
LB
Texas A&M
Big 12
Buffalo Bills
Dareus, MarcellMarcell Dareus [SUP][/SUP]
DT
Alabama
SEC
Cincinnati Bengals
Green, A. J.A. J. Green [SUP][/SUP]
WR
Georgia
SEC
Arizona Cardinals
Peterson, PatrickPatrick Peterson [SUP][/SUP]
CB
LSU
SEC

Indianapolis Colts
Luck, AndrewAndrew Luck [SUP][/SUP]
QB
Stanford
Pac-12
Washington Redskins
Griffin III, RobertRobert Griffin III [SUP][/SUP]
QB
Baylor
Big 12
from St. Louis[SUP][R1 - 1][/SUP];
2011 Heisman Trophy winner [SUP][N 2][/SUP]
Cleveland Browns
Richardson, TrentTrent Richardson
RB
Alabama
SEC
from Minnesota[SUP][R1 - 2][/SUP]
Minnesota Vikings
Kalil, MattMatt Kalil [SUP][/SUP]
OT
USC
Pac-12
from Cleveland[SUP][R1 - 3][/SUP]
Jacksonville Jaguars
Blackmon, JustinJustin Blackmon
WR
Oklahoma State
Big 12
from Tampa Bay[SUP][R1 - 4][/SUP]
Dallas Cowboys
Claiborne, MorrisMorris Claiborne
CB
LSU
SEC

Houston Texans
Clowney, JadeveonJadeveon Clowney
DE
South Carolina
SEC
St. Louis Rams
Robinson, GregGreg Robinson
OT
Auburn
SEC
from Washington[SUP][R1 - 1][/SUP]
Jacksonville Jaguars
Bortles, BlakeBlake Bortles
QB
UCF
The American
Buffalo Bills
Watkins, SammySammy Watkins
WR
Clemson
ACC
from Cleveland[SUP][R1 - 2][/SUP]
Oakland Raiders
Mack, KhalilKhalil Mack [SUP][/SUP]
LB
Buffalo

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Winston, JameisJameis Winston [SUP][/SUP]
QB
Florida State
ACC
2013 Heisman Trophy winner
Tennessee Titans
Mariota, MarcusMarcus Mariota
QB
Oregon
Pac-12
2014 Heisman Trophy winner
Jacksonville Jaguars
Fowler, Jr., DanteDante Fowler, Jr.
DE
Florida
SEC
Oakland Raiders
Cooper, AmariAmari Cooper [SUP][/SUP]
WR
Alabama
SEC
2014 Fred Biletnikoff Award winner
Washington Redskins
Scherff, BrandonBrandon Scherff
OT
Iowa
Big Ten

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I would caution against reading too much into the pre-season. The 2008 Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the pre-season and never gave up more than ten points and then went 0-16 in REAL football. The 2007 Patriots that came within two minutes of a perfect season LOST their first two pre-season games that year.

The year Peyton Manning won his Super Bowl with Indy, they went 1-3 in the pre-season (2006). They also went 1-3 the year they lost to the Saints.

And last year they went 3-1.

So, who knows?

Dak is looking great against the used car salesmen, insurance agents, and third-rate XFL products who aren't blitzing so as to prevent injuries. I recall some folks touting Michael Sam as 'should be in the NFL' because of some great numbers he put up in the pre-season but these accomplishments don't really matter. They're like giving Andre Ware the Heisman Trophy because of his insane stats against ridiculously overmatched competition.

Ware threw for 4,699 yards and 46 touchdowns. But 1720 of those yards and 19 (nearly half) of those TDs came against UNLV (a terrible Big West team), death penalty ridden SMU, 2-8-1 Rice, and 1-10 Eastern Independent Temple. On top of that it meant nothing because Houston wasn't playing for anything due to probation.

LOTS of folks look good when it's not the highest level. Make no mistake - Dak MIGHT be a very good player, and I wish him well. But let's not marry the hawt girl with the fine figure just because she looks good in the dark with some alcohol imbibing.
To be fair, Dak has been playing against the numbers 1's (first team defenses)

But yeah, playing devil's advocate here, we'll see how it goes. The NFL has four speeds and each speed is quite the leap from the former. Preseason speed, Regular season speed, playoff speed and then Super Bowl speed. Also, defenses will actually game plan for you in the regular season. We'll see if the game is too fast for Dak week 1 vs the Giants and how quickly he adjusts to the speed. This is what makes or breaks young QB's. It'll be night and day from preseason for Dak when he trots out there against that Giants defense week 1.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'd be surprised if Dallas doesn't pick up a more experienced veteran QB to at least start the season.
Dak is probably not quite ready at this point. He's mighty darn good, but I don't think they want to put that much pressure on him so early.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Romo might want to consider retirement. He cannot seem to stay healthy anymore.
Yeah he is really playing with his quality of life later on by continuing to play. I haven't ever really thought he was that good anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I'd be surprised if Dallas doesn't pick up a more experienced veteran QB to at least start the season.
Dak is probably not quite ready at this point. He's mighty darn good, but I don't think they want to put that much pressure on him so early.
Dak has already been named starter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.