Alabama vs. USC Discussion

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
What's everyone going to be doing with parking at AT&T Stadium? The Rangers will be playing an afternoon game that same day as the kickoff and the baseball stadium is pretty close to the football stadium.
Get a parking pass from the AT&T stadium website. If you plan on tailgating, arrive early, like by noon b/c you have to snag a tailgating spot. There are not many of them as they are on the perimeter of the lots and back up to the sidewalk. You will have a space as wide as the parking spot and 10 feet deep. The grass from there to the curb is open for others.

Security enforces the rule of no chairs/grills etc in parking spots. (Even if you have a couple of extra spots. RV lot is the exception) You must set up in the spot behind your car on the grass. They even make sure you stay in the same width as your car. We had to remove a 20'x 20' canopy that was behind two of our spots because we were not contained in the width of our spot. They didn't care we had both spots.

They do allow you to save tailgate spots. Lots open at noon. Last year we arrived about 11:30 and folks had already unloaded, claiming spots while their car was lined up to enter the lot. My buddy jumped out and put a chair in one spot, cooler I'm a second and back pack in another. By the time they actually let cars in at noon all the tailgate spots in our lot were about gone. I imagine a bigger zoo this year. We plan on arriving about 10AM to claim spots.

Above all, DO NOT park at Wal-Mart it is a guaranteed way to be towed.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
That article was just stupid, I'm sorry.
It lacked real gusto, and the counter-arguments seem stronger.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Just went by the big USC football pre-season tailgate party on Hermosa Beach, and these guys are fired up on this year's team. Bama better be ready to bring it, or this thing might turn into a dogfight.

RTR!!!!!!!!!!!

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Just went by the big USC football pre-season tailgate party on Hermosa Beach, and these guys are fired up on this year's team. Bama better be ready to bring it, or this thing might turn into a dogfight.

RTR!!!!!!!!!!!
Was the surf up?[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Na, the surf was down!

It's kind of funny as several of them had USC national championship shirts on, and I was thinking, what year was that!

Oh that's right, the Reggie Bush/Matt Leinart years, but those didn't count due to rules violations!

I do see Matt Leinart at the gym and McGinest, too. Leinert's a nice guy, and it's crazy watching the women dreul over him. He stares at himself in every mirror a little too much though.

RTR!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
USC will be a challenge for no other reason than they are blue blood USC. From what I've read of their offense, I think it plays right into our strength. A look at the games we've lost in recent years shows a general trend that we lose the turnover battle (the notable exception is the 2013 Iron Bowl), give up a truckload of passing yards that are enabled by your ability to at least establish some sort of rushing game (Ole Miss has been an exception), and fall into a hole we have to climb out of (the 2010 and 2013 Auburn games plus the Ohio State playoff game are the notable exceptions).

Run, stop the run, win the turnover battle, and avoid stupid mistakes (like penalties) will win virtually every single time. You'd be hard-pressed to name any team ever that could neither run nor stop it, made more turnovers, and made more stupid mistakes that ever won a single game against a team that did all those things.

This is a new team on both sides so I can't run my projection like I did for the Michigan State or Clemson games. (So far, I've used it five times and it has yet to be wrong at college ball, not so good for the NFL). I'm guessing something like the WVA game a couple of years back will be the probable outcome - close game until the fourth quarter and both teams rusty and missing opportunities early. The one notable exception I've seen from Alabama in recent years for a contested opener (San Jose and Kent don't count) was the utter demolition of Michigan in the first quarter in 2012.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Na, the surf was down!

It's kind of funny as several of them had USC national championship shirts on, and I was thinking, what year was that!

Oh that's right, the Reggie Bush/Matt Leinart years, but those didn't count due to rules violations!

I do see Matt Leinart at the gym and McGinest, too. Leinert's a nice guy, and it's crazy watching the women dreul over him. He stares at himself in every mirror a little too much though.

RTR!
When Leinart gets outta the mirror, tell him thanks for that 23-0 beat down of the east Alabama male college and ag school

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That is the first time I've seen or heard someone say Lane's offense at Alabama has been predictable.

I read that, too, and that and the claim we'd give up 38 points were real 'what kind of thinking is this' moments.

We MIGHT lose - it COULD happen. But they're not scoring 38 points in a four quarter game, I'll guarantee you that. That's about FOUR GAMES for our normal defense if they're not dominant.

Times Alabama Has Given Up 38 Points In Recent Years
2015 - Clemson - well, USC doesn't have DeShaun Watson, do they?
2015 - Ole Miss - most of that was due to five turnovers, several giving them short fields
2014 - Ohio State - well technically, the defense only gave up 35
2014 - Auburn - USC won't be in late season form and neither will Alabama if we have a poor Defense by chance
2013 - Oklahoma - again, it was technically 38, fine, but also a meaningless game to Alabama by that point
2013 - Texas A/M - once again, USC's QB is no Manziel double threat

And btw - just remember that in those SIX games, we STILL won three of them despite playing less than great on D.

PepsiTrojan

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 9, 2016
USC is not putting up 38 points on Alabama. Turnovers, penalties, missed field goals . . . it doesn't matter. It's not going to happen. I will be ecstatic if USC puts up more than 20 points and 300 yards on Alabama's starting defense. Have a look at USC's last two games of the year (USC/Stan & USC/Wisky). The offense was abysmal and it was lead by Helton and Tee Martin.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
USC is not putting up 38 points on Alabama. Turnovers, penalties, missed field goals . . . it doesn't matter. It's not going to happen. I will be ecstatic if USC puts up more than 20 points and 300 yards on Alabama's starting defense. Have a look at USC's last two games of the year (USC/Stan & USC/Wisky). The offense was abysmal and it was lead by Helton and Tee Martin.
Don't know how much attention you pay to us, but here are our recent year losses and the scores:

2008 - Florida, 31-20 (they were a MUCH better team than us that year and we led, 20-17, entering the fourth)
2010 - SCAR 35 Alabama 21 (they just had a REALLY great day that day)
2010 - LSU 24 Alabama 21 (typical LSU-Bama game)
2010 - Auburn 28 Alabama 27 (we blew a 24-0 lead thanks to some insane turnovers and things that would never happen again in a million years; if you haven't seen this one, go watch You Tube - it's insane)
2011 - LSU 9 Alabama 6 (we had seven horrible breaks go against us; just six and we win)
2012 - ATM 29 Alabama 24 (fell in a 20-0 hole and couldn't quite do it despite first and goal at their six)
2013 - Auburn 34 Alabama 28 (but Auburn got 13 of those points in the final 31 seconds)
2013 - OU 45 Alabama 31 (we kept turning the ball over.....and over....and over)
2014 - Ole Miss 23 Alabama 17 (again lost because of turnovers)
2014 - Ohio State 42 Alabama 35 (mostly turnovers but give the Buckeyes credit for not panicking when down 21-6)
2015 - Ole Miss 43 Alabama 37 (turnovers)

And to further prove the point I'm making:

We WON the turnover battle:
2013 Auburn, 1-0

We lost the turnover battles:
2008 Florida, 1-0
2010 LSU, 2-0
2010 Auburn, 2-1
2012 ATM, 3-0
2013 OU, 5-1
2014 Ole Miss, 2-1
2014 Ohio State, 3-2
2015 Ole Miss, 5-0

We TIED the turnover battle:
2010 SCAR, 1-1
2011 LSU, 2-2

Here's some food for thought; Alabama has only lost ONE game during the run (2008-now) where they DID NOT commit a turnover. And that game owed as much to mistakes (multiple missed field goals, a missed fourth down conversion, and multiple coverage mistakes) beating us as anything (not to take anything away from what was admittedly one helluvan effort by Auburn).

In other words, the ability to beat ability to beat Alabama is in LARGE PART due to the ability to get the ball via turnovers. If you don't get a turnover, you have virtually no chance at all. And keep in mind that to win, you still cannot commit more than ONE yourself based on the trends.

My guess? USC gets 13-17 points and Alabama gets 28-34 points.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
What's everyone going to be doing with parking at AT&T Stadium? The Rangers will be playing an afternoon game that same day as the kickoff and the baseball stadium is pretty close to the football stadium.
Get a parking pass.....I got one directly from the stadium.
Get a parking pass from the AT&T stadium website. If you plan on tailgating, arrive early, like by noon b/c you have to snag a tailgating spot. There are not many of them as they are on the perimeter of the lots and back up to the sidewalk. You will have a space as wide as the parking spot and 10 feet deep. The grass from there to the curb is open for others.

Security enforces the rule of no chairs/grills etc in parking spots. (Even if you have a couple of extra spots. RV lot is the exception) You must set up in the spot behind your car on the grass. They even make sure you stay in the same width as your car. We had to remove a 20'x 20' canopy that was behind two of our spots because we were not contained in the width of our spot. They didn't care we had both spots.

They do allow you to save tailgate spots. Lots open at noon. Last year we arrived about 11:30 and folks had already unloaded, claiming spots while their car was lined up to enter the lot. My buddy jumped out and put a chair in one spot, cooler I'm a second and back pack in another. By the time they actually let cars in at noon all the tailgate spots in our lot were about gone. I imagine a bigger zoo this year. We plan on arriving about 10AM to claim spots.

Above all, DO NOT park at Wal-Mart it is a guaranteed way to be towed.
Also, several places "across the street" (to the west) sell parking passes for $50-75. Fact is, I park at pizza place and from the time I walk out the door it's maybe 15-20 minutes before I'm on the highway completely clear of post game traffic. I can't imagine trying to get out of the dang stadium parking. Looks miserable.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Don't know how much attention you pay to us, but here are our recent year losses and the scores:

2008 - Florida, 31-20 (they were a MUCH better team than us that year and we led, 20-17, entering the fourth)
2010 - SCAR 35 Alabama 21 (they just had a REALLY great day that day)
2010 - LSU 24 Alabama 21 (typical LSU-Bama game)
2010 - Auburn 28 Alabama 27 (we blew a 24-0 lead thanks to some insane turnovers and things that would never happen again in a million years; if you haven't seen this one, go watch You Tube - it's insane)
2011 - LSU 9 Alabama 6 (we had seven horrible breaks go against us; just six and we win)
2012 - ATM 29 Alabama 24 (fell in a 20-0 hole and couldn't quite do it despite first and goal at their six)
2013 - Auburn 34 Alabama 28 (but Auburn got 13 of those points in the final 31 seconds)
2013 - OU 45 Alabama 31 (we kept turning the ball over.....and over....and over)
2014 - Ole Miss 23 Alabama 17 (again lost because of turnovers)
2014 - Ohio State 42 Alabama 35 (mostly turnovers but give the Buckeyes credit for not panicking when down 21-6)
2015 - Ole Miss 43 Alabama 37 (turnovers)

And to further prove the point I'm making:

We WON the turnover battle:
2013 Auburn, 1-0

We lost the turnover battles:
2008 Florida, 1-0
2010 LSU, 2-0
2010 Auburn, 2-1
2012 ATM, 3-0
2013 OU, 5-1
2014 Ole Miss, 2-1
2014 Ohio State, 3-2
2015 Ole Miss, 5-0

We TIED the turnover battle:
2010 SCAR, 1-1
2011 LSU, 2-2

Here's some food for thought; Alabama has only lost ONE game during the run (2008-now) where they DID NOT commit a turnover. And that game owed as much to mistakes (multiple missed field goals, a missed fourth down conversion, and multiple coverage mistakes) beating us as anything (not to take anything away from what was admittedly one helluvan effort by Auburn).

In other words, the ability to beat ability to beat Alabama is in LARGE PART due to the ability to get the ball via turnovers. If you don't get a turnover, you have virtually no chance at all. And keep in mind that to win, you still cannot commit more than ONE yourself based on the trends.

My guess? USC gets 13-17 points and Alabama gets 28-34 points.
Good stuff there Selma! Absolutely spot on...

knowledge

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 6, 2007
Madison
That is the first time I've seen or heard someone say Lane's offense at Alabama has been predictable.

That is because this is an article by a usc graduate and fan. 2009 USC journalism. Her analysis is 99% fan-hope.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
That is because this is an article by a usc graduate and fan. 2009 USC journalism. Her analysis is 99% fan-hope.
I remember my USC family complaining about this when CLK was at USC, both as a co-OC and HC. I don't really remember much outside of the Leinart-Bush/White offense to comment one way or the other.

PepsiTrojan

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 9, 2016
I remember my USC family complaining about this when CLK was at USC, both as a co-OC and HC. I don't really remember much outside of the Leinart-Bush/White offense to comment one way or the other.
We were not happy with the offense when Lane was there. He did so little with so much. It's been surprising to us how solid good he's been at Alabama. Not having his father as the defensive coordinator has certainly helped.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Also, several places "across the street" (to the west) sell parking passes for $50-75. Fact is, I park at pizza place and from the time I walk out the door it's maybe 15-20 minutes before I'm on the highway completely clear of post game traffic. I can't imagine trying to get out of the dang stadium parking. Looks miserable.
Really depends.... Last year we were out and on the freeway in 10 minutes. (Of course we tailgated about for 2 hours after the game.) ��

In all seriousness, it depends. Kenny Chesney a few years ago took over an hour. GNR this summer took 10 minutes. After Cowboy games, typically takes 20 minutes. I'm hoping it is 35-0 at the half so the USC fans will be long gone!

Another great parking option is any of the surrounding bars like BoomerJacks or Sherlocks with a free shuttle.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.