Alabama vs. USC Discussion

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
USC is going with experience to start the season. Browne was the #2 QB as a recruit in 2013. The competition was apparently close.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...-trojans-name-max-browne-starting-quarterback

Redshirt junior Max Browne has been named USC's starting quarterback, coach Clay Helton announced Saturday.The decision gives Browne two weeks to prepare as the starter in anticipation of the Trojans' opener against defending national champion Alabama on Sept. 3 in Arlington, Texas.
"At this point, we feel that it is in the best interest of our football team to lean on the veteran experience that Max Browne has, so we have named him the starter going into our opening game against Alabama," Helton said in a statement. "With our experienced offensive line and the weapons at our skill positions, we as a staff are confident that Max's ability will help guide a very successful offense."
I'm looking forward to the start of the season. It seemed like it would never get here. It always feels like it will never get here. At least we've been able to enjoy the championship while we wait.

I admit I don't know a lot about the USC team this year other than they will have a lot of talent, more so among the first team. Does anyone better informed than myself have anything to share on the USC team, the game overall, or the matchups?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
USC, as you said, has talent. They have averaged the top ten in recruiting for the past few years, in spite of reduction of scholarships. It is hard to figure the new HC after they got kicked around by Oregon and Stanford at the end of the season. But, this is USC and they are one of the top traditional programs in the nation so I expect a real fight.

On paper we should win by 10 points or so. I think that is about right.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
https://theringer.com/usc-trojans-effects-of-ncaa-sanctions-cfb-33fd6777eae0#.giebnc5sv

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]“Biggest worry is probably the thinness a little bit at defensive line,” coach Clay Helton admitted [/COLOR]at this year’s Pac-12 media days[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]. “We’re going to be a little thin there, a little bit inexperienced. … It doesn’t mean that they’re not talented, they’re just inexperienced.”[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Pendergast runs a 5–2 defense, which isn’t too dissimilar from the 3–4 USC ran last year — both feature three down linemen, though the 5–2 is more aggressive at the line of scrimmage. It should give players like Porter Gustin and Jabari Ruffin, outside linebackers in last year’s scheme, more time in a hybrid role that will allow them to function like defensive ends. Though they’ll stand up on the edges of the line, they’ll rarely drop back into coverage, focusing instead on rushing the passer. That especially benefits Gustin, who played in all 14 games as a freshman and racked up 5.5 sacks. Both players have been reclassified as defensive ends on the roster.[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]“We’ll do things as coaches to be able to help us help a young [defensive] line,” Helton said at media days. “Load the box, there’s going to be more pressure put on our defensive backs to play some man coverage and to help a defensive line whether it’s pressures or dropping a safety in the box, whatever it might be, we’ll do those things to help them.”[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Behind talents like Adoree’ Jackson and Iman Marshall, USC’s secondary should be able to hold its own when teams stack the box, but no matter how the team arranges the front seven, there’s no disguising how many underclassmen the Trojans are relying on up front.[/COLOR]
Looks like DL is a weak point for USC. They will be running a version of the 5-2, though it may play out a bit more like a 3-4.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-linebackers-20160817-snap-story.html

Justin Davis flitted to his left on a third-down run Wednesday, probing for the edge. It was in vain: Outside linebacker Porter Gustin had rammed his blocker two yards into the backfield.Davis stuttered and scanned. Behind him, the offensive line had paved a hole through the defensive front, so he turned and burst toward it. That was a mirage, too: The other outside linebacker, Uchenna Nwosu, was stalking, ready to close the gap.
Davis had nowhere to go, his would-be first down snuffed out by USC’s linebackers.
That group, with Gustin and Nwosu on the outside and Michael Hutchings and Cameron Smith on the inside, has made the Trojans’ run defense less of a liability during training camp, despite a young, thin defensive line.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
http://picksixpreviews.com/2016-pac-12-south-division-preview.html

[FONT=&quot]Clay Helton has stressed that he wants to make USC a ground pound rushing team again, with the ability to wear down opponents and close out games in the 4th quarter. This strategy shift from prior regimes may just be the perfect match with our #1 rated offensive line in America, along with our top rated tackle Zach Banner. In fact, the entire starting 5 returns intact. 3 of the other 4 linemen are also deserving of all-conference hype. I fully expect this unit to open up holes for the star running backs, and protect new starter Browne until he is at a level of experience and comfort to be on par with the other household names.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clancy Pendergast returns to USC after coaching a Top 15 defense here in 2013 (the unit fell out of the top 50 after his departure). After two seasons with the 49ers, he is back and will bring a scheme that will actually utilize the star players effectively, unlike what we saw from the Justin Wilcox defenses in 2014 & 2015. He refused to blitz enough, was mostly 2-gap, and simply didn’t maximize the potential of his talented roster. Pendergast wants to bring back the 5-2 scheme, and wants to turn loose all of his highly-rated prospects. While just one starter returns in the front seven, it is basically a “who’s who” of the 2014 & 2015 National Signing Day shows, where these 4 and 5 star guys all put on Trojan hats on live TV. Rasheem Green, Noah Jefferson, Porter Gustin, Osa Masina, John Houston, Jack Jones – the list goes on and on. Even though most lack starting experience, there are too many weapons here to not find a starting lineup that works. When Alabama and Ohio State lose starters, they are given the benefit of the doubt because they recruit at an elite level at the top of their conferences. Yes, USC doesn’t have Saban or Meyer on the sideline, but they are in a similar recruiting situation where over the past 5 years they rate as our #1 weighted average recruiting rank in the Pac-12 (8th nationally), so the pieces are certainly there for Pendergast.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am not explicitly calling for the upset over Alabama, but also think the blowout Vegas lines are ridiculous. Not many teams can match up with Alabama in the trenches, but I think USC comes close, especially on offense. [/FONT]
This guy is pretty high on USC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If they try to run the ball on Alabama, they are going to lose. Saban just doesn't lose to those teams.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If they try to run the ball on Alabama, they are going to lose. Saban just doesn't lose to those teams.
Yep. I posted this in another thread. I know it's a bowl game but USC had a hard time blocking in their loss to Wisconsin. Alabama's front 7 is on a different level than Wisconsin..

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Yeah I don't understand why anyone would think this game will be any different. I know their OL is good but no one consistently runs the ball on Bama, especially not with an entire offseason to prepare.

It's also almost impossible to block Tim Williams for an entire game so I'm curious to see how they try to attack us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think their OL will be better than last year's unit. It took us a full year to fix all the flaws Bucket Step Bob left us . They'll be better technically but I imagine there will be some things that can be exploited if we can force them to 5/7-step drop.

PepsiTrojan

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 9, 2016
Hi guys - Having watched almost all of your 2015 games on YouTube so far, here are a few observations:

- USC's OL was coached by the worst OL coach in the history of the sport (Bob Connelly). I know y'all are familiar. He was replaced by Neil Calloway who is significantly better. The OL is talented - they needed a better coach
- USC is going to have to get creative with the run. Smashmouth running against Alabama is going to fail miserably.
- USC needs to get their playmakers in space. USC has as much speed as Alabama will see all year. These guys are track stars
- If Browne hangs on to the ball to long he's going to get killed. USC needs to find a way to consistently get 3-5 yard chunks.
- USC brought in a an outstanding defensive coordinator who brings an attacking style defense. Our hope is that the defense can frustrate/confuse the new QB . . . whomever that turns out to be

Our questions about Bama are these:
- Will the new QB (Bateman?) be ready to go against a pretty fast defense?
- Scarborough is a beast but is he Derek Henry?
- Pruitt is a good DC but he's replacing a legend - how will that affect Bama's D?
- Will Kiffin try to get too cute with the offense? He's obviously looking forward to crushing USC.

USC can win this game if they win the turnover battle (+3), the special teams battle and keep from getting penalized. I give USC about a 10% chance of winning the game. At the end of the day, Bama's coaches and players have a lot more experience being in big games and are much more of a finished product. I think Alabama wins 31-14 breaking the game open in the 4th quarter.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm guessing Marlon Humphrey will be covering Juju Smith-Schuster most of the night, and that looks like an interesting match up. What do y'all think of this match up? Do y'all think Marlon will be able to limit this guy most of the night?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Hi guys - Having watched almost all of your 2015 games on YouTube so far, here are a few observations:

- USC's OL was coached by the worst OL coach in the history of the sport (Bob Connelly). I know y'all are familiar. He was replaced by Neil Calloway who is significantly better. The OL is talented - they needed a better coach
- USC is going to have to get creative with the run. Smashmouth running against Alabama is going to fail miserably.
- USC needs to get their playmakers in space. USC has as much speed as Alabama will see all year. These guys are track stars
- If Browne hangs on to the ball to long he's going to get killed. USC needs to find a way to consistently get 3-5 yard chunks.
- USC brought in a an outstanding defensive coordinator who brings an attacking style defense. Our hope is that the defense can frustrate/confuse the new QB . . . whomever that turns out to be

- Pruitt is a good DC but he's replacing a legend - how will that affect Bama's D?
- Will Kiffin try to get too cute with the offense? He's obviously looking forward to crushing USC.

USC can win this game if they win the turnover battle (+3), the special teams battle and keep from getting penalized. I give USC about a 10% chance of winning the game. At the end of the day, Bama's coaches and players have a lot more experience being in big games and are much more of a finished product. I think Alabama wins 31-14 breaking the game open in the 4th quarter.
Thanks, PepsiTrojan. I'll take anything close to 31-14 every day of the week and twice on Saturdays, but I hope we put it away early. The longer the game goes close the more a chance to win it gives USC.

I have a pretty low opinion of Callaway as a person and only slightly higher as a coach. USC has some talent coming back on the OL, but I agree with you that running will be tough sledding. I'm not worried about straight line speed, but quickness will give us a harder time.

Henry was 6-3 242. Bo is 6-2 230. Bo is probably a little shiftier but is still a fast load to bring down.

The defense is still Saban's and Pruitt has been on staff before. I can't see it having that great an effect.

I just hope Kiffin doesn't try to over-think it.

We'll need to establish the run early and throw some high percentage throws to settle the QB down. Unless, of course, we don't.

USC's depth may become an issue if the game is close late, but again I wouldn't want to push it,

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I'm guessing Marlon Humphrey will be covering Juju Smith-Schuster most of the night, and that looks like an interesting match up. What do y'all think of this match up? Do y'all think Marlon will be able to limit this guy most of the night?
MH is one of the best DB's in the country. That's proven. We'll find out if Schuster is ready to go against the best. I hope the team is ready.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

1. With regard to the QB, we're not even sure who will be on the field at this moment. There is a true freshman who has been impressing the players, staff, and fans since he got on campus in early January for the CFPCG prep. In my mind, it is a coin flip between Bateman and Hurts. Bateman may get the start but he may not be the only QB who plays...especially if the offense struggles. We've done pretty well with new QBs in these big openers. We'll probably start with a heavy dose of Lane Kiffin bubble screen plays. Alabama is as deep at the receiver positions as we've ever been under Saban. The goal will be to get these guys the ball in scenarios where it isn't risky on the new starter at QB.

2. Bo Scarbrough doesn't need to be Derrick Henry. He just needs to do him. The tailback position will probably be a more typical rotation scenario rather than a high-carry featureback scenario we saw in 2015. I suspect that Harris and Scarbrough will be rotated and get the majority of the snaps. True freshman BJ Emmons is going to get on the field this year but I wonder how many carries he'll get in a game like this one.

3. Pruitt is going to be a great DC for us. He was a position coach here under some of Saban's early title runs, won a title as the DC for FSU in 2013, got back into the SEC and did a solid job for UGA. The bigger issue with defensive staff turnover was losing the DB and DL coaches in the offseason in addition to losing the DC Kirby Smart. All of the replacements were top-tier hires. I think we're in good position...if anything, Saban may have a more hands-on approach in this learning curve period.

4. He's fallen in this trap before. Most notably in the OSU Sugar Bowl game in the 2014 season. But in a similar scenario at Tennessee in 2014, he put on an early shock and awe campaign. It is hard to say but I expect him to be really focused on winning more so than trying to show off. We shall see...he's going to be managing a new QB so I think that may temper any personality tendencies towards that stuff.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The big things on the defensive side of the ball are:

1. How the DL depth compares to 2015. It can't possibly compare but it is critical that we develop some depth among the rushers. Interior seems deep but perhaps not as talented without the versatile Reed+Robinson tandem.

2. We're solid in the secondary in base defense. The perimeter corners and split safety combination is solid and has a ton of in-game, high-stakes experience. Because of defections and a suspension, we've got a bunch of unknowns at the nickel and dime spots.

3. Each of these positions are also places where we had a coaching change...so there is that additional layer here too.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
A couple of nuggets from Inside USC:

USC may be without their starting LT:

A bold prediction by a true freshman (that Alabama heavily recruited):

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.