Link: Bama no. 1 in AP poll; Record 9 straight years

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's good to be #1. Better than #51. Luckily for us though, CNS has talked about this being clutter for season. Rankings shouldn't come out until October. You never really know what time you have until that time and even then you may not know. I still understand the polls too. You need something to gauge the competition. This will be a different Bama team. This isn't the Stanley Cup that gets passed around. There is a trophy given every year. We won't be defending anything. I never understood title defense in college sports. Still, it feels great that Bama is #1 in the discussion.
They have pre-season rankings because it sells magazines and gets fans to talking about the sport. You can read Athlon or Street and Smith or whoever, and it's the same clutter. I remember when Lou Holth was coaching the Irish, he said he made a point to see what their ranking was in the magazines. He summarized it like this - if they pick Notre Dame #1 they actually think the Irish will win; top five and they think the Irish are REALLY good; top 10 and they think the Irish are okay; 10-20 and they think the Irish are mediocre; and 21-25 they think the Irish will be 3-8 but rank them just so Irish fans will buy the magazine.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The same press touting this buried us. The dynasty died at the Kick Six. The dynasty died at Ole Miss. The dynasty died after the home loss to Ole Miss. And if we lose any game at any time, the dynasty will be dead again.
Vampire Dynasty...no matter how often they kill us, we keep coming back to rule the day.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Another reminder about 1966. Started #1 in the nation, won every game, and finished #3 behind two teams that tied.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Another reminder about 1966. Started #1 in the nation, won every game, and finished #3 behind two teams that tied.
Good news is those days are over (for that type of scenario).

Worst travesty that can occur now is to be #5 in the final CFP poll. I could see that happening occasionally when a number 5 or 6 might have a better case to be #4.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
The last time UA started the year ranked AP #1 AND won the AP NC, was 1978. Ironically, The Tide lost to USC in that regular season

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The last time UA started the year ranked AP #1 AND won the AP NC, was 1978. Ironically, The Tide lost to USC in that regular season
Interesting, that could potentially happen again. I don't think it's likely that we will lose to USC, but if we do and then run the table in the SEC, it would be hard for them to keep Bama out of the playoffs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.