How about 15 team super conferences?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I saw a new twist on conference realignment the other day. If Notre Dame joins the ACC they could have three five-team divisions. For example:

North
Boston College
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Pittsburg
Louisville

Mid
Duke
N Carolina
NC State
Virginia
Wake Forest

South
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Virginia Tech

North Section would play the four other North teams, three Mid Section teams and two South Section teams giving nine conference games each year. The second year the North would play the other four North teams, two Mid Section teams and three South teams meaning you play every ACC team at least once each two years.

Two sections would be in the conference championship ......But......the NCAA says you must have two divisions, not three. Anyway, it seems better to me than two-eight team divisions when they talk of that illusive 4-16 team super conferences. I like 4-15 team super conferences better.

In the SEC we could have West Section of Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri and Mississippi. Med Section of Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Miss State and Vanderbilt. East Section of S Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky and the new team, Cincinnati, E Carolina or whatever.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, my head hurts just trying to work out the tie breaker scenarios for deciding who gets to play in the conference championship games.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I saw a new twist on conference realignment the other day. If Notre Dame joins the ACC they could have three five-team divisions. For example:

North
Boston College
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Pittsburg
Louisville

Mid
Duke
N Carolina
NC State
Virginia
Wake Forest

South
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Virginia Tech

North Section would play the four other North teams, three Mid Section teams and two South Section teams giving nine conference games each year. The second year the North would play the other four North teams, two Mid Section teams and three South teams meaning you play every ACC team at least once each two years.

Two sections would be in the conference championship ......But......the NCAA says you must have two divisions, not three. Anyway, it seems better to me than two-eight team divisions when they talk of that illusive 4-16 team super conferences. I like 4-15 team super conferences better.

In the SEC we could have West Section of Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri and Mississippi. Med Section of Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Miss State and Vanderbilt. East Section of S Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky and the new team, Cincinnati, E Carolina or whatever.
Cincinnati or East Carolina? Why on Earth would the SEC ever want garbage teams like that?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Cincinnati or East Carolina? Why on Earth would the SEC ever want garbage teams like that?
Well, we have this problem, you see. When the SEC mentions Texas or Oklahoma, or FSU the reaction is "we don't need anymore elite teams, our schedule is hard enough as it is."

The question is, why would the SEC want to add Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan or Southern Cal?

And by the way, Cincinnati is not a garbage team and neither is East Carolina. UAB and Troy, now those are garbage teams.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Don't like the idea of "super conferences," BUT if you went that route, they would need to have 16 teams.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Well, we have this problem, you see. When the SEC mentions Texas or Oklahoma, or FSU the reaction is "we don't need anymore elite teams, our schedule is hard enough as it is."

The question is, why would the SEC want to add Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan or Southern Cal?

And by the way, Cincinnati is not a garbage team and neither is East Carolina. UAB and Troy, now those are garbage teams.
Cincinnatti and East Carolina are garbage teams. Uab and Troy are what garbage poops out.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

North
Boston College
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Pittsburg
Louisville

Mid
Duke
N Carolina
NC State
Virginia
Wake Forest

South
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Virginia Tech
Be nice to be in that "Mid" division!

Honestly I don't even like 14 team conferences. But an idea I liked better was a "pod" system. There are no divisions, so you rotate opponents in such a way that you have no permanent rivals, but only miss playing a team for a year or two instead of nine (9!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

Honestly I don't even like 14 team conferences. But an idea I liked better was a "pod" system. There are no divisions, so you rotate opponents in such a way that you have no permanent rivals, but only miss playing a team for a year or two instead of nine (9!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As you wish.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

It's a good thing nobody likes rivalry games anymore...

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
How about scrapping the Big 12 and making 4 super conferences with 16 teams each. Divide each conference in into 8 team divisions. Have division champions play each other in a conference championship. The 4 winners advance to the playoff. When they expand the playoff to 8 teams. These same 8 teams could be seeded and play it off.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
How about scrapping the Big 12 and making 4 super conferences with 16 teams each. Divide each conference in into 8 team divisions. Have division champions play each other in a conference championship. The 4 winners advance to the playoff. When they expand the playoff to 8 teams. These same 8 teams could be seeded and play it off.
I have noticed those proposals which make good, common sense (and are very simple, like this one) never seem to get off the ground. I guess there is no need for committees or panels (nor those who appoint committee and panel members) to feel important. But I like it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.