Freshmen That Have Played in 2016

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From Saban's press conference Saturday:

"We'll probably have more freshmen play this year maybe than we've had for a while around here," Saban said. "We feel good about some of them."
Some numbers to show how many have played in the past:

Contrary to popular belief, Saban has routinely played true freshmen throughout his tenure at Alabama. An average of 10.3 have taken the field for Alabama since his first year with the Tide in 2007, according to a study by Bleacher Report. Sixteen of them saw action in 2008. Just last season, newcomers started 26 games for Alabama.
Alabama has 20 true freshmen on campus.

I broke them into three groups (for sure, probably, and taking a redshirt):

Played :

1. Jonah Williams
  2. BJ Emmons
  3. Mack Wilson
  4. Jalen Hurts
  5. Trevon Diggs
  6. Joshua Jacobs
  7. Miller Forristall
  8. Shyheim Carter
  9. Aaron Robinson
  10. TJ Simmons
  11. Raekwon Davis
  12. Jared Mayden
  13. Terrell Hall
  14. Irvin Smith

Not Yet:

1. Quinnen Williams
  2. Ben Davis
  3. Shawn Jennings
  4. Nigel Knott
  5. Deonte Brown
  6. Chris Owens
  7. Scott Lashley

Last edited:

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Re: Name the Freshmen That Play in 2016

Is Mack Wilson on schedule to play after his surgery?

For sure playing (8):
Jonah Williams
BJ Emmons
Ben Davis
Mack Wilson
Jalen Hurts
Trevon Diggs
Raekwon Davis
Shyheim Carter

Probably (8):
Joshua Jacobs
Jared Mayden
Quinnen Williams
Miller Fprristall
TJ Simmons
Shawn Jennings
Nigel Knott
Terrell Hall

Taking a redshirt (4):
Deonte Brown
Chris Owens
Scott Lashley

Thoughts?

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012

Before the transfers only a handful might have played but now outside of the freshman offensive lineman and Shawn Jennings who is still recovering from surgery I could see most all of them contributing due to lack of depth. The majority will play in the secondary and at RB.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida

I expect Mayden and Knott to play until the secondary is settled even if a possible redshirt is spent. Maybe even Jacobs.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

By the way, Jonah Williams is a lock day 1 starter out of that group of eight sure contributors. He's pretty much held the starting RT spot all camp. He was a recruit on the same tier of Cam Robinson in this year's class. If Cam was not here, he may have been the starter at LT this year. He'll probably move to LT in 2017.

Raekwon Davis isn't 100% on his NCAA eligibility from what I heard on WJOX today. He's definitely in the top part of the DL rotation in the scrimmages. So the staff seems to be preparing as if he is available.

Davis and Wilson have a lot of LBs to compete with but they're too talented not to have ready to go if injuries happen. They'll be "starters" on special teams at a bare minimum.

Carter and Diggs have huge opportunities given all the DB defections, graduations, and suspensions this off-season. Definitely on special teams, maybe contributing sooner rather than later on defensive sub packages.

Hurts and BJ Emmons have a lot of natural ability. Might be hard to keep Emmons off the field despite a solid 1-2 punch at tailback already. Hurts could be a package QB or a starter...could become the starter as the season progresses. Hurts has the most upside of any QB on campus. If he can be an efficient passer then he could become a playmaker unlike anything we've seen at the QB position under Saban.

One addition to RTR91's group - which I think is 100% accurate to the pulse I've heard around town - is Terrell Hall. He's got natural quick twitch. He may become our 2016 version of Tim Williams. He hasn't made a ton of noise this camp at least from the practice reports and scrimmage leaks. If it clicks for him some point during the Fall, it could be a huge positive for the rotation of fresh pass rushers.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

By the way, Jonah Williams is a lock day 1 starter out of that group of eight sure contributors. He's pretty much held the starting RT spot all camp. He was a recruit on the same tier of Cam Robinson in this year's class. If Cam was not here, he may have been the starter at LT this year. He'll probably move to LT in 2017.

Raekwon Davis isn't 100% on his NCAA eligibility from what I heard on WJOX today. He's definitely in the top part of the DL rotation in the scrimmages. So the staff seems to be preparing as if he is available.

Davis and Wilson have a lot of LBs to compete with but they're too talented not to have ready to go if injuries happen. They'll be "starters" on special teams at a bare minimum.

Carter and Diggs have huge opportunities given all the DB defections, graduations, and suspensions this off-season. Definitely on special teams, maybe contributing sooner rather than later on defensive sub packages.

Hurts and BJ Emmons have a lot of natural ability. Might be hard to keep Emmons off the field despite a solid 1-2 punch at tailback already. Hurts could be a package QB or a starter...could become the starter as the season progresses. Hurts has the most upside of any QB on campus. If he can be an efficient passer then he could become a playmaker unlike anything we've seen at the QB position under Saban.

One addition to RTR91's group - which I think is 100% accurate to the pulse I've heard around town - is Terrell Hall. He's got natural quick twitch. He may become our 2016 version of Tim Williams. He hasn't made a ton of noise this camp at least from the practice reports and scrimmage leaks. If it clicks for him some point during the Fall, it could be a huge positive for the rotation of fresh pass rushers.
I have heard the same about Davis. We really need him for depth and hope he qualifies.

I agree about adding Terrell Hall to the "For sure playing" list. I have heard he has been getting rave reviews. Not to build him up too big but he has the look of a Jadeveon Clowney.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

For sure playing (8):
Jonah Williams
BJ Emmons
Ben Davis
Mack Wilson
Jalen Hurts
Trevon Diggs
Raekwon Davis
Shyheim Carter

Probably (8):
Joshua Jacobs
Jared Mayden
Quinnen Williams
Miller Fprristall
TJ Simmons
Shawn Jennings
Nigel Knott
Terrell Hall

Taking a redshirt (4):
Deonte Brown
Chris Owens
Scott Lashley

Thoughts?
Dont see Irving Smith on the list. Probably he is supposed to be #4 to RS?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

For sure playing (8):
Jonah Williams
BJ Emmons
Ben Davis
Mack Wilson
Jalen Hurts
Trevon Diggs
Raekwon Davis**
Shyheim Carter

Probably (8):
Joshua Jacobs
Jared Mayden
Quinnen Williams
Miller Fprristall
TJ Simmons
Shawn Jennings
Nigel Knott
Terrell Hall

Taking a redshirt (4):
Deonte Brown
Chris Owens
Scott Lashley
Irvin Smith

Thoughts?
**Taking a wait & see approach on eligibility

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Suttles was very high on Terrell Hall in his interview today on the Roundtable. If this is true you might move him up but on the other hand we're deep at his position

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Bama in Quebec

1st Team
Aug 10, 2013
Quebec city

Great list RTR !

I don't see Aaron Robinson the DB on your list.

I guess he should be on the section "taking a redshirt" ?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Suttles was very high on Terrell Hall in his interview today on the Roundtable. If this is true you might move him up but on the other hand we're deep at his position

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
Hall and Jacobs both should play, but I can also see them getting an unintended redshirt. Sometimes the coaches don't plan on giving a guy a redshirt but don't play him for the first half of the season. By the point they realize it, they don't want to burn a redshirt.

It's not common but does happen.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I noted in the fall camp thread that AL.com had a note that Raekwon Davis was with the scout team. May be the sign that he's not going to be eligible this year.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Soooooooooooo, what's the story with raekwon davis

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Updated the list with the 10 players that played Saturday according to BOL.

Might have been 12. Anyone remember seeing Mayden or Hall?

According to Alabama’s participation chart, cornerback Jared Mayden and outside linebacker Terrell Hall also saw the field Saturday night. I did not spot them, but fourth quarter zoomed by, and it’s possible I simply missed them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.