• Jalen Hurts

Votes: 36 42.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I "WON"T"t be surprised if Hurts trots out but I'm not expecting it.

I "WILL" be surprised if it's Barnett.

I "THINK" it will be Bateman.

But I can see a scenario that if the Bama defense shows they'll control the pace and play that Hurts will be exposed to see how he's going to handle live play. After that I think the season starter will be obvious.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I think there's a distinct possibility that all three play, as well, though for perhaps different reasons.

I think the depth chart will either have all three QBs listed as starters (1a, 1b, & 1c) or will have Bateman and Barnett as co-starters and Hurts as the backup. Regardless, I think the outcome will be the same. I think Bateman comes out to take the first snap - assuming the first snap isn't a wildcat thing or something like that - and probably takes the majority of the snaps in the first half.

I also think Hurts will definitely play some in the first half but I don't necessarily think it'll be a like-for-like swap with Bateman. I think Hurts will have a "package" of plays designed to optimize his talents but also reduce the amount of decision-making responsibility being placed on a true freshman. He'll be used more as a change-of-pace to keep the defense off-balance, giving them a different wrinkle to have to think about.

If the game stays close and Bateman is playing well enough, Barnett may not see the field in this one. However, if we get a little bit of a comfortable lead or Bateman stinks it up a bit then Blake will definitely get some snaps.

Going forward, I think we'll start out running a faux, two quarterback system with Bateman/Barnett seemingly vying for the starting job with Hurts primarily running the change-up package. I do think, though, that Hurts will be given some chances against Western Kentucky and Kent State to run the whole offense. I think Bateman is in the driver's seat for earning the starting job but Barnett could take it from him if the light flips on and he turns out to be a gamer, where his inconsistency and tendency to force the ball into coverage disappears. Of course, if neither of those guys proves able to adequately, consistently guide the offense and Hurts plays well with all he's given, I could see Hurts being named the starter by either the Kentucky or Arkansas games.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I think its great everyone is excited about this season we are coming off a 16th National Championship and for many of us we are reliving the dream again. I know everyone is all excited about the freshman Hurts, but look at CNS history. He is not going to go against his process. Unless Bateman has lost all of his confidence as a QB , then he is the starter. Why tell USC anything so they can prepare against one QB. Its pretty simple when you analyze how Saban coaches. I sure dont want to see a Bama QB running Gus the Bus offense, and with CNS I dont think we will have to worry about that. I just want to beat USC and the longer Saban keeps this a secret the harder it will be for SC.

JustinT256

1st Team
Sep 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
My fear is Hurts starts and does well and Barnett transfers,...
From everything I've read so far. Barnett played himself out of contention for the spot in the last scrimmage game. I'm thinking Bateman starts against USC and Hurts is the starter by the Ole Miss game. If it plays out this way, Barnett is gone.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Haven't posted in quite a while. Just been stalking the site. I have to say I'm hopeful Hurts pulls ahead and shows he can handle the job. I would love to have a three year starter, and I love his athleticism to go along with a strong arm. I'm sick of the Johnny Foosball and Watson types always giving us fits. I want to give someone else a fit for a change.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Haven't posted in quite a while. Just been stalking the site. I have to say I'm hopeful Hurts pulls ahead and shows he can handle the job. I would love to have a three year starter, and I love his athleticism to go along with a strong arm. I'm sick of the Johnny Foosball and Watson types always giving us fits. I want to give someone else a fit for a change.
agreed. but i also think it can be said that bama has been giving other folks a fit for going on 8 years now. :D

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
As everyone knows, CNS has always coached by 2 "truisms":
1. The best player will play, provided he has bought into the process and is doing what he should be doing
2. The QB must win over the team as a leader, instilling confidence in the other 10 offensive players

If there isn't a clear gap in the QB's for both of these metrics, Bateman will start. If Hurts has separated himself from the others in both metrics, we are in for a special year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Some speculation that Bateman could start and they will ease Hurt into the offense, and if he does well, the theory is that by the end of the game, he'll be the starter.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
CNS' process dictates that the player putting in the work (not necessarily time) and buying in and making the best decisions and who is best qualified to lead this team to wins and has the respect of the team will start. Bateman may very well come out and officially be listed as the starter but if he can't get it done he will be out. I would hate it for him but that's business. If that happens then BB and JH have their shot to get it done.
Personally, and I've said this before, I don't care who is best suited as long as that person gets the nod.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Touchdown Alabama Magazine reporter just released that Saban is going to announce Hurts is the starter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.