Ole Miss Dumps 'Dixie' From Football Games

tidegrandpa

All-American
I was in Montgomery a couple years ago and stopped at the capital building. I ran up the stairs and the star was there. It was kind of faded and hard to read. It said it had been placed by the Daughters of the Confederacy sometime in the 1960s. I took a picture of it but it was lost last time I changed phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had to been early 60's, we moved from there in '61, thanks glad my memory was still good.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I really don't recall the exact year and it could have been the 1950s. If forced to guess I would say 1961. That was the 100th anniversary of the war and the year the flag went above the capitol building.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've got a couple of pages both here and on the Trump thread to read before responding in any detail, but what seems to me to be a common ground argument:

1) Jon is unquestionably right in what he says about PERCEPTION. This is one of those situations where the DETAILS often get lost (for worse) in the whole discussion.

2) It just seems to my simple mind that at Ole Miss if they take a LONGER view of history and going forward that the gradual removal of these things one at a time is probably the right way to go. Maybe not one single person at Ole Miss is actually 'defending racism' (a slight exaggeration perhaps), but if that's the perception from the outside then that alone isn't a good thing. It's not all that different from when the Republicans in Louisiana jumped parties back in 1991 to ensure that Edwin Edwards won and David Duke did not (replete with bumper stickers saying "Vote For The Crook: It's Important"). Edwards was not exactly the second coming of George Washington, but he wasn't David Duke.

And yes, a person could vote for Duke and NOT be a racist (same for Wallace and for that matter Trump)....but what is the perception from the outside and what would it have been for LA back then? That's the longer term issue.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Anybody who cannot recognize a a soldier's flag over a soldier's grave is probably so morally obtuse as to not merit further conversation.
I have a feeling things won't stop here.
I understand fully why left-statists hate the Confederacy with such vehemence. Never before or since have citizens, told their servants, the general government, thus far shall you go and no father.
Schmuck's like Hoffman hate the Confederacy because it earns him vote from shallow people, and because this was the last time sovereign people of a sovereign state dared to fight back against a Federal encroachment. Schmucks like Hoffman hate the memory of men who resisted usurpers like him.
And another one, this was a crime......
http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...s-taken-70-graves-historic-cemetery-brunswick

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If you ever find yourself in northern Virginia around memorial day, go to Spotsylvania. They have a Confederate cemetery just north of Spotsylvania Court House, in a serene secluded spot, surrounded by spruce and oak trees, which gives the cemetery an isolated feeling. There is a beautiful marble statue in the center of the cemetery and the soldiers are buried in sections by state. Somebody (probably the local SCV chapter) places a small flag on every grave. They place a Bonny Blue flag on the Alabama soldiers' graves, a 1st National on the North Carolinians' graves, a 2nd National on the Virginians' graves and so on. Some years, they place small state flags on the graves in the appropriate section. You will find 20 little Alabama flags over the Alabamians. Nice touch.

Last edited:

tidegrandpa

All-American
If you ever find yourself in northern Virginia around memorial day, go to Spotsylvania. They have a Confederate cemetery just north of Spotsylvania Court House, in a serene secluded spot, surrounded by spruce and oak trees, which gives the cemetery an isolated feeling. There is a beautiful marble statue in the center of the cemetery and the soldiers are buried in sections by state. Somebody (probably the local SCV chapter) places a small flag on every grave. They place a Bonny Blue flag on the Alabama soldiers' graves, a 1st National on the North Carolinians' graves, a 2nd National on the Virginians' graves and so on. Some years, they place small state flags on the graves in the appropriate section. You will find 50 little Alabama flags over the Alabamians. Nice touch.
Have a son in Fredericksburg, plan to visit this fall, I will make a point to visit. Thanks.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
If you ever find yourself in northern Virginia around memorial day, go to Spotsylvania. They have a Confederate cemetery just north of Spotsylvania Court House, in a serene secluded spot, surrounded by spruce and oak trees, which gives the cemetery an isolated feeling. There is a beautiful marble statue in the center of the cemetery and the soldiers are buried in sections by state. Somebody (probably the local SCV chapter) places a small flag on every grave. They place a Bonny Blue flag on the Alabama soldiers' graves, a 1st National on the North Carolinians' graves, a 2nd National on the Virginians' graves and so on. Some years, they place small state flags on the graves in the appropriate section. You will find 20 little Alabama flags over the Alabamians. Nice touch.
It is quietly respectful. Been there a few times. Think I'll go back and softly whistle Dixie.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Have a son in Fredericksburg, plan to visit this fall, I will make a point to visit. Thanks.
In Fredericksburg, on Marye's Heights is the Federal cemetery. 15,000 Yankee soldiers buried there (the dead from Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness and Spotsylvania, and those who died in area hospitals).
Wandering around the grounds one day, I looked down, and saw one poor Connecticut soldier buried there. He was obviously German. In the log book inside the Fredericksburg National Battlefield Visitors' Center his name is listed as "Charles Fuchs" but that is not how they spelled his name on his headstone.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In Fredericksburg, on Marye's Heights is the Federal cemetery. 15,000 Yankee soldiers buried there (the dead from Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness and Spotsylvania, and those who died in area hospitals).
Wandering around the grounds one day, I looked down, and saw one poor Connecticut soldier buried there. He was obviously German. In the log book inside the Fredericksburg National Battlefield Visitors' Center his name is listed as "Charles Fuchs" but that is not how they spelled his name on his headstone.
People get so confused about that. "Fuchs" = "fox." "Ficken" = well, you know...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.