Ole Miss Dumps 'Dixie' From Football Games

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The Rebel Flag and Dixie can certainly mean different things to different people. But don't wave it or play the song at an event sanctioned by a public university. You (whoever you are) and your buddies go get a parade permit and wave and sing to your hearts content. Wear robes or not. Naked or clothed. Go for it.
please don't suggest that these folks get nekkid

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
no, i'm comparing symbols and telling you what they mean to most.

To very few people the swastika is a symbol of pride, but to most of us it is a hate symbol

same with the flag and all the symbols that were associated with the confederacy. They've been used from Civil rights to now as a symbol of hate.

Someone replied "to some" yesterday after my post, and I would wholeheartedly agree, if "some" is defined as "everyone not born in the south"

my point is and was that it doesn't matter what you want it to mean, if you fly a rebel flag or blast Dixie as your car horn (both I've seen/heard recently in Atlanta) or whatever you are telling all of the rest of the world that you are an ignorant racist, period. It is what it is and wishing it wasn't or rationalizing the causes for the war or the angst of reconstruction or whatever isn't going to change that. Sorry
Not correct.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Put a Swastika on your house today and absolutely no one will think you are a Jain or Hindu making a statement about auspiciousness of luck
I work with a lot Indian contractors (dot not feather) being in IT. One bought a new car recently and as I walked past it in the parking lot I noticed he had painted (obviously with his finger) something on the hood where the hood ornament would be located. I paused to take a better look and yep there it is was plain as day...a swastika.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I work with a lot Indian contractors (dot not feather) being in IT. One bought a new car recently and as I walked past it in the parking lot I noticed he had painted (obviously with his finger) something on the hood where the hood ornament would be located. I paused to take a better look and yep there it is was plain as day...a swastika.
:eek2: I'd steer clear of anybody who would paint anything on a new car.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i remember a picture of my granddad working in a sandwich shop in downtown tuscaloosa in the 20's. the tile design on the floor of the shop had black swastikas against white tile.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I thought you had a good memory? I make that argument all the time
Yeah and you have a little time period between 1917-1991 that tells you that it would make little to no difference if you did get it your way.

I know you and Selma are playing with the idea of religious institutions being seen as hate images, but remember we are only talking about the modern symbolic interpretation of the old confederacy traditions and the swastika because "To the victors go the spoils and the history". So the battle flag and Dixie could be looked at way different had the south somehow prevailed or managed a statement.

Personally I've never seen a reason to wear anything with the the CSA flag on it mostly because I come from and served the armed forces of the USA. So really it's not my country, the USA is. But I can see how some see it as a symbol of southern pride and a sign of redneckery ( yes I think I pulled a dubya and made up this word). As for Dixie I really think it depends on what version of the song you sing, but as an instrumental it is the same tune. Personally I like Dixie played slowly on a violin, but I'm not going to install a horn with it playing, or am I going to share a tear for ole miss not playing it a football game. I think ole miss made the right decision here because they have a bad history in the 60s with gov barnett trying to go to war with the federal government over integration. I think their situation is a little more alarming than Wallace grandstanding on a scripted confrontation with the AG. But that's just my 2 cents

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Don't think Elvis could get away with playing Dixie today; doubt if he would want to. I read one time where Robert E. Lee didn't like the tune; thought it common or trite, but it rallied the boys.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Don't think Elvis could get away with playing Dixie today; doubt if he would want to. I read one time where Robert E. Lee didn't like the tune; thought it common or trite, but it rallied the boys.
Maybe it's because it was written by someone from Ohio.

bamarebel

Scout Team
Feb 5, 2009
no, i'm comparing symbols and telling you what they mean to most.
my point is and was that it doesn't matter what you want it to mean, if you fly a rebel flag or blast Dixie as your car horn (both I've seen/heard recently in Atlanta) or whatever you are telling all of the rest of the world that you are an ignorant racist, period. It is what it is and wishing it wasn't or rationalizing the causes for the war or the angst of reconstruction or whatever isn't going to change that. Sorry
However, a flag and a song don't make you a racist. It's the way you treat someone.
There is a group of people/media that what's to bring up the past and make it about hate.
It is this group that is filled with more hate. To assume that of a white with the flag on t-shirt would be a racist assumption.

As I mentioned in the previous post, having the flag or playing the song doesn't mean you want to bring slavery or beat/kill a black. Sure there will be radicals like anything else. We are past it but
some people want to make it about that. I don't know if it's a grudge, hate, or ignorance.
The fact that we continue to discuss these shows that their are vastly different opinions of the issue. I believe the flag isn't even in the same picture as the swastika. These symbols can be changed if people are willing to move on but that absolutely isn't the case at this moment and its a shame.

When I was in high school, a group of black students walked through the school entirely in black and held up their fists as they went by the classroom windows. If a group of whites would worn heart of Dixie shirts/ played Dixie would the school have reacted differently?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
VA bans Confederate flags from national cemetery flagpoles
I was unaware that VA cemeteries had every done that. I guess it was on
Here locally, we keep our dead yankees separate from our dead Confederates.

Rep. Jared Hoffman (D, CA) who is a small-minded, bigoted and unstatemenlike, who wouldn't know a generous, noble thought if one fell out of a tree and hit him on the head, issued a statement.
While racist individuals and groups continue to embrace the Confederate battle flag, it has never been more clear that this anachronistic symbol of hatred, slavery, and insurrection should not be promoted or gratuitously displayed on federal property.
Veterans groups will still be allowed to place small Confederate flags on Confederate graves at no cost to the government.

tidegrandpa

All-American
VA bans Confederate flags from national cemetery flagpoles
I was unaware that VA cemeteries had every done that. I guess it was on
Here locally, we keep our dead yankees separate from our dead Confederates.

Rep. Jared Hoffman (D, CA) who is a small-minded, bigoted and unstatemenlike, who wouldn't know a generous, noble thought if one fell out of a tree and hit him on the head, issued a statement.

Veterans groups will still be allowed to place small Confederate flags on Confederate graves at no cost to the government.
In the top step of the steps leading to the rotunda of the Capitol in Montgomery is a brass star where Jeff Davis stood when inaugurated Confederate President.
Hope it is still there, everything else is disappearing.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In the top step of the steps leading to the rotunda of the Capitol in Montgomery is a brass star where Jeff Davis stood when inaugurated Confederate President.
Anybody who cannot recognize a a soldier's flag over a soldier's grave is probably so morally obtuse as to not merit further conversation.
I have a feeling things won't stop here.
I understand fully why left-statists hate the Confederacy with such vehemence. Never before or since have citizens, told their servants, the general government, thus far shall you go and no father.
Schmuck's like Hoffman hate the Confederacy because it earns him vote from shallow people, and because this was the last time sovereign people of a sovereign state dared to fight back against a Federal encroachment. Schmucks like Hoffman hate the memory of men who resisted usurpers like him.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
ANybody who cannot recognize a a soldier's flag over a soldier's grave is probably so morally obtuse as to not merit further conversation.
I have a feeling things won't stop here.
I understand fully why left-statists hate the Confederacy with such vehemence. Never before or since had been, citizens, told their servants, the general government , thus far shall you go and no father.,
Schuck's like Hoffman hate the Confederacy because it earns him vote from shallow people, and because this was the last time sovereign people of a sovereign state dared to fight back against a Federal encroachment. Schmucks like Hoffman hate the memory of men who resisted usurpers like him.
Again I'm not for the total "lost cause" preservation, but I find it stupid in most cases at the lengths that people and businesses are going about trying to make it the #1 issue in America over real issues such as fixing the economy. But maybe that's the point behind this. Dylan roof might have been the best thing for the Obama administration and the leftist activists because it changed the narrative of "Obama is just a below average democrat" to " Obama was right about the need for gun control and the theory of institutional racism". There is still a degree of racism in America, but is no more alarming than what Trump says about illegal immigrants being the biggest problem facing America. I think there are places that the CSA should be remembered in government cemeteries and battlefields, but there should be places that it shouldn't be. I think the biggest problem is that it is all or nothing for one side or the other, and both sides don't know what the word "Compromise" means.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I was in Montgomery a couple years ago and stopped at the capital building. I ran up the stairs and the star was there. It was kind of faded and hard to read. It said it had been placed by the Daughters of the Confederacy sometime in the 1960s. I took a picture of it but it was lost last time I changed phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.