Ole Miss Dumps 'Dixie' From Football Games

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I guess I'm kind of torn on this. While I'm a firm believer that we should not forget our history/heritage I also think that if we don't "let Dixie go" we're never going to erase the stigma of slavery and so on (yes, I know there were slaves in the north and that most whites in the north did not want any part of Lincoln's dirty war because they didn't like the "negroes" either). I don't think this should be forced upon us (as far as completely erasing part of our history/past) but we need to use a little bit of common sense about remembering our heritage/past.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i thought they had done this last year?
It's been under discussion for some time and they leaked it following last season. That's probably what you're thinking of. My wife an OM grad and Oxford native and she keeps track through friends, etc. She has two sisters who are died in the wool "Old South," so, needless to say, they've been extremely agitated about the whole process of modernization...

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
It's been under discussion for some time and they leaked it following last season. That's probably what you're thinking of. My wife an OM grad and Oxford native and she keeps track through friends, etc. She has two sisters who are died in the wool "Old South," so, needless to say, they've been extremely agitated about the whole process of modernization...
In my opinion, this is a large part of our problem in the south. We, as a whole, think that we can't keep our southern traditions/hospitality by modernizing. We've basically been ostracizing ourselves for no good reason. You can upgrade your education structure and modernize and still teach your kids to say "yes, sir" or "yes, ma'am" and teach your men to open doors for women and such. You don't have to go around touting "Dixie" everywhere to retain your heritage.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Maybe there are some offensive verses in Dixie (?) or the word itself has offensive connotations (?) but IMO, as long as something doesn't celebrate slavery or the Civil War, I really dont have any problems with it.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
The best way to prevent them from playing Rocky Top is to prevent them from scoring. Win-Win. ;)
Sadly, this is not true. Nothing stops them from playing Rocky Top. The only silver lining is how bad that song makes those idiots look. It's like something a rival would write specifically to poke fun at them for being toothless, backwards inbreds and they sing it willingly!

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
What is wrong with the song, exactly? I've looked at the lyrics and can't quite figure it out.
"Dixie" was sort of an unofficial anthem for the Confederacy, sort of like Battle Hymn of the Republic was for the Union Army.

"In my line of work you have to be able to sing 'Dixie' and 'Battle Hymn of the Republic' with equal enthusiasm."-- Ferry boat owner, The Outlaw Josey Wales

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA

Ole Miss Dumps 'Dixie' From Football Games

Bout time!
This is the other side of the equation: too many people want to just totally forget where they came from and how we got to where we want to be. We don't want to even try to understand each others positions we just want to completely dismiss them in our moral superiority. Seebell, I promise you I'm not calling you out directly on this but the other side of the Dixie equation wants to just simply ignore the fact that white northerners hated negroes as much or worse than white southerners. Liberals want to ignore the fact that negroes in Africa sold their own people as slaves or in fact owned Europeans/Arabians as slaves. As humans, the reality is that we have always (as a whole) been mean and cruel to each other and the different races have a propensity to treat other races as morally/intellectually inferior because they don't think the same way as "we" do.

My question to those who would just completely dismiss the south as a bunch of racist slave owners: what was the South supposed to do to try to keep up? No, I'm not condoning slavery in any way, shape or form, but look thru their eyes. The south was an agrarian economy and didn't have the machinery (and couldn't really afford it as a whole) that would later be available for better mass planting/harvesting. Were they supposed to just give up and as a society be contented to remain in the most abject poverty conditions this would bring? Also, I would submit that the north was just as complicit in the trading of slaves by simply buying products from the south that enabled slave owners to keeping going on. Cotton and other products were available to be had from elsewhere. Northerners also returned runaway slaves to their southern slave owners.
I guess my points to this are that people rarely just try to understand each other without the ulterior motive of bringing "you" into believing my point of view and discarding your own and that while "your side, in the grand scheme of things, has really been just as bad in your own way but because of the "well your sins are worse than mine" syndrome the other side tries to make its own self feel better and morally superior.
Jesus said that sin is sin no matter how big or small it is in our own eyes.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In my opinion, this is a large part of our problem in the south. We, as a whole, think that we can't keep our southern traditions/hospitality by modernizing. We've basically been ostracizing ourselves for no good reason. You can upgrade your education structure and modernize and still teach your kids to say "yes, sir" or "yes, ma'am" and teach your men to open doors for women and such. You don't have to go around touting "Dixie" everywhere to retain your heritage.
My family, like about half, or a bit more, of north Alabamians fought on the Union side, so I have no affection for the stars and bars or Dixie either one...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Thankyou for your post BamaInMo. I certainly don't consider myself to be morally superior. I understand that Africans sold each other etc etc etc. I was born in the south and grew up an army brat. I have lived in the south most of my life. Dixie is part of my heritage but it has no business being played at an event at a state run university. For a large number of our fellow citizens; Dixie, like the rebel flag, has extremely negative connotations. The war has been over for 150 years. Let it go.

Buy a cd. Play Dixie at home all you want. No problem. If Tidewater wants to parade around his house in his confederate underwear while Dixie blasts away, hey, no problem.

I was a student at Ole Miss in 69-70. I remember seeing the bullet pocks on the walls of the admin building where people had protested the integration of the university. I remember to going to a home football game aginst Memphis. Memphis had one black player, a running back, the only black player on the field. I can still see the waving sea of rebel flags. I can still hear the Ole Miss band playing Dixie while a multitude of fans screamed "catch/kill that (N-Word) when he carried the ball.

The song Dixie is as much part of our heritage in Alabama as it is in Mississippi. Why don't we demand that Dixie be played at Alabama games?

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
My family, like about half, or a bit more, of north Alabamians fought on the Union side, so I have no affection for the stars and bars or Dixie either one...
My family (those that were in the US at the time) fought for the Confederacy. I have no affection for the stars and bars or Dixie, either.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Buy a cd. Play Dixie at home all you want. No problem. If Tidewater wants to parade around his house in his confederate underwear while Dixie blasts away, hey, no problem.
For now.

It will probably just be easier if the Federal government published a "list of acceptable thoughts," so nobody will end up on the wrong side of history, by accident.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
For now.

It will probably just be easier if the Federal government published a "list of acceptable thoughts," so nobody will end up on the wrong side of history, by accident.

I've got a list you can borrow!!
:biggrin: That Randolph fella ain't on it!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.