CBS: 2016 SEC Expert Picks: overrated, underrated, predicted order of finish

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean, TAMU is still a pass-heavy team but I don't think they're looking for the amazing from their QB position anymore...just the steady, reliable pocket passer who has decent mobility.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
My assessment (just because):

4) Texas A/M? Really? I'm trying to wrap my mind around the old "Luke Del Rio couldn't start at Oregon State" argument and try to figure out why Trevor Knight - who 'couldn't start at Oklahoma despite multiple opportunities' is really any better. /QUOTE]

Oh yes, I notice stuff like that as well. I had a friend who did not believe the Bible was dependable and yet would try to use the Bible to win arguments. I would say "you can't use Scripture to win an argument, you don't even believe it is true." This reminded me of that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Del Rio is in the right scheme for his skill set. That being he's closer to a Greg McElroy type...he's smart enough and good enough when playing within himself, McElwain understands quarterbacking and will tailor the offense to fit the QB.

I don't think he'll be a star but he should be decent enough...improvement upon what they got after Grier went down.

Trevor Knight is an odd case but I do think he's got talent all over the offense which is a big help. He's more mature than some of the other QBs they've had recently.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Limping?! [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Yep, hope I'm wrong but I see us making it to the conference dance with multiple losses through a brutal schedule. Back to back to back QB changes and reloading at a lot of other critical positions sums up to Saban's best coaching job to date getting us back to the playoff IMHO. And it is just an opinion of which I will gladly eat if I'm wrong. Here's to hopin'...

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Yep, hope I'm wrong but I see us making it to the conference dance with multiple losses through a brutal schedule. Back to back to back QB changes and reloading at a lot of other critical positions sums up to Saban's best coaching job to date getting us back to the playoff IMHO. And it is just an opinion of which I will gladly eat if I'm wrong. Here's to hopin'...
You see us not only winning the SEC with multiple losses but also making the playoffs?!?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I think Del Rio is in the right scheme for his skill set. That being he's closer to a Greg McElroy type...he's smart enough and good enough when playing within himself, McElwain understands quarterbacking and will tailor the offense to fit the QB.

I don't think he'll be a star but he should be decent enough...improvement upon what they got after Grier went down.

Trevor Knight is an odd case but I do think he's got talent all over the offense which is a big help. He's more mature than some of the other QBs they've had recently.
Trevor Knight had that talent level @ OU but couldn't get it done - except for one game that I would like to forget that I paid money to attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who do we lose to??

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm real confused. Multiple loses do not get you into championship games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, he DID say conference dance, and we could in theory lose to USC AND an East team AND a West team (three losses, two conference) if things broke right. I don't think that's really possible in the SEC West, but let's see.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It could happen but I doubt it would happen. If TAMU can beat both of those teams, they'd be in Atlanta.
Probably. But if they lost TWO conference games and the Alabama-LSU winner ONLY lost to TAMU then.....no.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Trevor Knight is one of only two active college qb's to beat us(Chad Kelly at Ole Miss is the other). I think the aggies may surprise a lot of people this year.
He beat a team in a game they didn't want to play when he had everything to prove.

It wasn't even enough to keep him in Norman.

Why is his one outlier game against Alabama considered the new normal? Yes, he threw 4 TDs and 1 pick against us. But in OTHER 2014 games, he threw 14 TDs and 12 picks. Against Clemson in the next year's bowl game, he was utterly awful (17 for 37, 103 yards, 0 Tds, 3 INT).

Why is his one stellar performance treated by the press as the norm?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Probably. But if they lost TWO conference games and the Alabama-LSU winner ONLY lost to TAMU then.....no.
Yeah that is possible...the likelihood TAMU beats Alabama and LSU in the same year and loses to two other SEC teams is dang near unlikely.

I guess Ole Miss just did that feat though! :D

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The 2010 South Carolina Gamecocks would like time for rebuttal....so, too, the 2003 Georgia Bulldogs and 2001 LSU Tigers and 2000 Auburn Tigers and 1998 Mississippi State Bulldogs.

I excluded the 2002 Arkansas Razorbacks because they would not have won the West with multiple conferences losses if Alabama had not been on probation.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The 2010 South Carolina Gamecocks would like time for rebuttal....so, too, the 2003 Georgia Bulldogs and 2001 LSU Tigers and 2000 Auburn Tigers and 1998 Mississippi State Bulldogs.

I excluded the 2002 Arkansas Razorbacks because they would not have won the West with multiple conferences losses if Alabama had not been on probation.
All of that is true but in an earlier post he said we'd "limp" into the SECCG with multiple losses and then be a tough matchup in Round1 of the playoffs.

There's no way Bama (or any team) makes the playoff with multiple losses unless absolute pandemonium on an unprecedented level occurs.

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.