SEC Network really building up Leonard Fournette

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
SEC Now was talking about how great LF was last year and how great he will be this year. Bugger Mcfarland pretty much discussed every game from last year and what Leonard did against each team-EXCEPT, you guessed it, the dominant 31 yard performance against Alabama. Fournette is good but until I see what he can do against a Bama defense I'll refrain from judgement. If he runs all over Bama then he's sure to win the Heisman IMO.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
To be fair to LF, his OL was absolutely no match for Alabama's front 7. But I do recall more than one occasion that one of our DBs tackled him in the open field. That's not a good look for an RB.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Get ready for a lot more of it and then some, especially with the flooding in Louisiana. Fournette and LSU both having a big year seems to have been predestined by the media and is now the new 'feel good' story of the season.

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
I don't think there's any question that he is one of the best backs the SEC has seen in a long, long time. I don't have a problem with them hyping him. He's worth the hype.

Having said that, it just shows how dominant our front 7 was last year. Easily one of the best defensive lines in college football history. Maybe the best.

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
SEC Now was talking about how great LF was last year and how great he will be this year. Bugger Mcfarland pretty much discussed every game from last year and what Leonard did against each team-EXCEPT, you guessed it, the dominant 31 yard performance against Alabama. Fournette is good but until I see what he can do against a Bama defense I'll refrain from judgement. If he runs all over Bama then he's sure to win the Heisman IMO.
And for the reason stated, unless Bama forgets how to play defense, which we won't, the winning outcome should be no different than last year because I don't see LSU changing their scheme against us. Founrnette has a target on his back and he will be the focal point of the proverbial arrow.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
And for the reason stated, unless Bama forgets how to play defense, which we won't, the winning outcome should be no different than last year because I don't see LSU changing their scheme against us. Founrnette has a target on his back and he will be the focal point of the proverbial arrow.
To really changes things up, LSU is going to have to pick up their passing game a good bit. Their QB did hit some throws last year (I remember one from his own end zone), but he had problems with consistency. If he fixes that and makes LSU a serious throwing threat, that should help LF a bunch.
He's a really good running back and I wish him well, just not against Bama.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
To be fair to LF, his OL was absolutely no match for Alabama's front 7. But I do recall more than one occasion that one of our DBs tackled him in the open field. That's not a good look for an RB.
Yeah, that game was kind of like some of the games Barry Sanders had with the Lions' crappy OL. All too often his best runs were just him struggling to get back to the line.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
4 of the 5 best players in the country are RBs - Fournette, Chubb, Cook and McCaffrey (plus th QB Watson). 3 of those RBs play in the Southeast. Not sure how any of them can beat out McCaffrey or Watson for the Heisman if they all have great seasons.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Get ready for a lot more of it and then some, especially with the flooding in Louisiana. Fournette and LSU both having a big year seems to have been predestined by the media and is now the new 'feel good' story of the season.
Been thinking this ever since the flooding, which has been a terrible tragedy.

I can see Les using this as a motivational factor to win for the locals, which is no different than what we did after the T-town tornado.

I'm just wondering if CLM is capable enough of pulling it off as effectively as CNS did and how it really cemented him to the local community. CLM could certainly use some local love and a great season this year would certainly help.

As for LF, I don't consider the game against Bama last year to be indicative of his talent or ability. Shoot, nobody was running on that defense!

He's the real deal and, if LSU has a great season, I could see him winning the Heisman.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
He may not have run for much on Alabama, but I would give even odds on him winning the Heisman in 2015 if he had been playing for Alabama in place of Derrick Henry.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
He is bad news, just not convinced Harris has improved enough for him to stay loose in the big games. And the biggest is Bama. That is his biggest hurdle to the Heisman, even if Bama isn't on top when they play (though I expect us to be).

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
He may not have run for much on Alabama, but I would give even odds on him winning the Heisman in 2015 if he had been playing for Alabama in place of Derrick Henry.
Barring injury Clemsons DW wins the Heisman this year. It was 1998 - 1999 since a RB won the trophy in consecutive years. Since 2000 a QB has won the trophy 13 out of 16 times. Watson is already a media darling and he has the talent to back it up.

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Barring injury Clemsons DW wins the Heisman this year. It was 1998 - 1999 since a RB won the trophy in consecutive years. Since 2000 a QB has won the trophy 13 out of 16 times. Watson is already a media darling and he has the talent to back it up.
I fully agree however, if Fournette didn't have to face a certain team, he would be right in the mix. And by the time Watson potentially faces Bama again, the votes will be counted. :cool2:

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Been thinking this ever since the flooding, which has been a terrible tragedy.

I can see Les using this as a motivational factor to win for the locals, which is no different than what we did after the T-town tornado.

I'm just wondering if CLM is capable enough of pulling it off as effectively as CNS did and how it really cemented him to the local community. CLM could certainly use some local love and a great season this year would certainly help.

As for LF, I don't consider the game against Bama last year to be indicative of his talent or ability. Shoot, nobody was running on that defense!

He's the real deal and, if LSU has a great season, I could see him winning the Heisman.
The only problem I see in this is Les Miles. The guy cannot put 3 logical sentences together so it would be a struggle for him to rally a community when he has trouble rallying 85 young men. JMO of course.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
If you think that they are all hype and without substance, you must have been hiding under a rock last season.
Never said or implied that.

To further explain, some of those are probably among the top 5 or so. Some of those are not. Young men do play other positions, they just don't get the same hype. Some of those not getting the hype - because they play other positions - are among the top 5. Just my 2 cents.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.