Rising Epipen Prices

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
TW, isn't this basically the same product as the old military atropine injectors?

The patent process is and always has been fraught with political maneuvering. I wish I could be surprised at this.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
TW, isn't this basically the same product as the old military atropine injectors?
I haven't fooled with an EpiPen, but I'd bet the mechanism is the same. From what JThomas 666 describes it, it sure sounds like an atropine injector.
The patent process is and always has been fraught with political maneuvering. I wish I could be surprised at this.
The LvMI article shows that the Mylan company patents each little part one after the other as a way to extend the patent. I'd bet one year, the company patented the spring (as if they had invented springs). Then, when that part's patent is about to expire, the patent the needle, and so on and so on...
I understand giving an inventor his due for the hard work and thought that goes into an invention, but this case seems abusive.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The Epipen is so easy to use that a relatively small child playing with it can set it off on their hand and get a nasty surprise. It works very well. Great product.

Blaming the greedy company is fair game. It's run by a representative's (D) daughter. They get special protection from the FDA at every turn to inhibit competition then jack up their prices.

Seems legit to blame the free market.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I had an hours-long conversation with Joe Stromberg in the LvMI library there one day. Stromberg is enormously well-read and a very good author.
Lew Rockwell, on the other hand, was deeply suspicious of me when I met him.

I've never met Lew but I've seen him speak live and frankly he sort of weirds me out, something just off about him and I feel like it is not just the normal AU cult stuff. He's just odd

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've never met Lew but I've seen him speak live and frankly he sort of weirds me out, something just off about him and I feel like it is not just the normal AU cult stuff. He's just odd
Well, I was a guest, so I excused myself.
I was just a big fan of Joe Stromberg, so I went to meet him.
Here is one of my favorite Stromberg pieces. We are a Brand of Bubbas. You won't appreciate his position, but look at his style. He is clever and makes me laugh.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If the CEO's dad was Orrin Hatch or Mike Pence my Facebook would be exploding right now from shares of a Huff Post article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
http://reason.com/blog/2016/08/25/want-to-reduce-the-price-of-epipens-appr

It would be more accurate to say that the company is taking advantage of the fact that the federal government's own regulatory scheme has given them a medical monopoly. Clinton wants to cast herself and the government as the cure for this problem. It's actually the cause in any number of ways.

The Wall Street Journal detailed extensively as Clinton threw herself into the conflict that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has made it very difficult for competitors to enter the marketplace and push prices downward. Epinephrine is cheap and EpiPens have been around for decades. Their prices should be trending downward not upward. But the FDA's complicated (and ambiguous) process of approving other drug delivery systems has kept competitors off the market. And to be clear, there are other companies trying to participate and demonstrate they can provide safe alternatives

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'm not familiar with what the Feds have done in this case, can you explain?
Here's a link to one article:

http://reason.com/blog/2016/08/25/want-to-reduce-the-price-of-epipens-appr

The Wall Street Journal detailed extensively as Clinton threw herself into the conflict that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has made it very difficult for competitors to enter the marketplace and push prices downward. Epinephrine is cheap and EpiPens have been around for decades. Their prices should be trending downward not upward. But the FDA's complicated (and ambiguous) process of approving other drug delivery systems has kept competitors off the market. And to be clear, there are other companies trying to participate and demonstrate they can provide safe alternatives...
The article contains a link to a Wall Street Journal column that you might find of interest as well.

Edit: My apologies for the dupe Bodhi.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm not familiar with what the Feds have done in this case, can you explain?
Not that it will have any effect, but here it goes.
Note: An earlier version cited the original 1977 patent for the EpiPen. While it has expired, since 1977 EpiPen producers have been able to secure multiple patents for other aspects and variations of the design and small parts associated with the design. A link to one of these patents has replaced the original link to the 1977 patent, above.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So if I could sum it up. Mylan is taking advantage of the FDA, patent laws and overall federal bureaucracy to unfairly maximize their profits on this but not, as others have said, protected Mylan because the CEO's father is a democrat.
I don't agree

I think there is less outrage because of the D by her Dad's name keeps the left aligned media out of the picture and the right aligned media has been tilting at windmills for so many years that everyone pretty much ignores them as fringe lunatics at this point.

Bottom line though is that the FDA, likely through political shenanigans has provided Mylan with a regulation enabled monopoly that they are fully exploiting. Many seem to be letting Mylan off the hook here, which they shouldn't, what Mylan is doing is scummy as it can be and they should be held in contempt for their behavior. The issue I have is that the calls to regulate Mylan are wrong headed as more regulation doesn't solve this problem whereas real competition most certainly will.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.