Rising Epipen Prices

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I don't agree

I think there is less outrage because of the D by her Dad's name keeps the left aligned media out of the picture and the right aligned media has been tilting at windmills for so many years that everyone pretty much ignores them as fringe lunatics at this point.

Bottom line though is that the FDA, likely through political shenanigans has provided Mylan with a regulation enabled monopoly that they are fully exploiting. Many seem to be letting Mylan off the hook here, which they shouldn't, what Mylan is doing is scummy as it can be and they should be held in contempt for their behavior. The issue I have is that the calls to regulate Mylan are wrong headed as more regulation doesn't solve this problem whereas real competition most certainly will.
Was "a regulation enabled monopoly" provided specifically to Mylan by the FDA or isn't this a regulation that has allowed all drug companies to exploit the patent laws?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't agree

I think there is less outrage because of the D by her Dad's name keeps the left aligned media out of the picture and the right aligned media has been tilting at windmills for so many years that everyone pretty much ignores them as fringe lunatics at this point.

Bottom line though is that the FDA, likely through political shenanigans has provided Mylan with a regulation enabled monopoly that they are fully exploiting. Many seem to be letting Mylan off the hook here, which they shouldn't, what Mylan is doing is scummy as it can be and they should be held in contempt for their behavior. The issue I have is that the calls to regulate Mylan are wrong headed as more regulation doesn't solve this problem whereas real competition most certainly will.
it's not regulation per se, it is a regulatory agency that is acting on behalf of those they are trying to regulate. it happens quite a bit.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Was "a regulation enabled monopoly" provided specifically to Mylan by the FDA or isn't this a regulation that has allowed all drug companies to exploit the patent laws?
I think its both

the regulators are as corrupt as they are necessary

which is a paradoxical statement, I know.

The patent laws are also a mess. I deal with Software patents as a part of my work and sadly what the patent office has become is a legalized barrier to competition and more often than not these things just show that we need massive overhaul of our patent laws and processes.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
So if I could sum it up. Mylan is taking advantage of the FDA, patent laws and overall federal bureaucracy to unfairly maximize their profits on this but not, as others have said, protected Mylan because the CEO's father is a democrat.
No, I do not believe the FDA looks at who is the father of the CEO of the company. Maybe, but not likely. That would be the kind of thing the WaPo would love to print, if some FDA employee spilled the beans. (Mid-level FDA bureaucrat to WaPo reporter: "Hey, look, I just got ordered to help Mylan because the CEO's father is Senator Manchin." The WaPo would eat that stuff up)
I just believe that Mylan is abusing the patent process (patenting each little piece of the process to artificially restrict supply, by making sure they are the only supplier) and the FDA is assisting that process.
What I find objectionable is that it appears that the old-fashioned syringes appear to be no longer available. Given the choice between an autoinjector for $300 or a pre-loaded conventional syringe for $5, that would put a lot of downward pressure on the autoinjector price. Conventional syringe is not as good as the autoinjector, but at $300 to $5, a lot of folks would take the less easy to use, but much less expensive conventional syringe. Especially since this drug, if not used, has to be replaced every year, whether you use it or not.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
FWIW
The pharmaceutical company Mylan has been taking on a boatload of vituperation — and rightfully so — for a 500% hike in the price of its lifesaving EpiPen injector, which reverses allergic reactions.

But there’s another reason to detest this remarkably amoral corporation: It’s also a tax dodger. Mylan is one of the leading exploiters of the technique known as inversion, in which a U.S. company cuts its tax bill by acquiring a foreign firm and moving its tax domicile to the acquired company’s homeland.

Mylan’s 2014 deal involved its buying a generics manufacturer from Abbott Laboratories and reincorporating in the Netherlands, the subsidiary’s home. As in all inversions, nothing else changed: Mylan’s operational headquarters remained in Pennsylvania, and its main workforce didn’t relocate. At one point, Mylan even appealed to U.S. antitrust officials to help it block a takeover bid from an Israeli company. But the inversion deal did allow the firm to cut its U.S. tax bill.
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-mylan-inversion-20160823-snap-story.html

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
On this plus side, I'm happy Mrs. Bresch struck a blow for feminism by showing us that female CEOs can be just as deplorable as their male counterparts.

I've seen her referenced lately as the "Bride of Skrelli" which seems fitting

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
There is a little known approved alternative to the Epi-Pen. Adrenaclick is much cheaper but not well known.

http://www.consumerreports.org/drugs/how-to-get-cheaper-epipen-alternative/

Meanwhile, if you’re looking for a low-cost alternative to the EpiPen, we recently recommended generic Adrenaclick, also referred to as an "epinephrine auto-injector." Using a GoodRx coupon, you could get it for as low as $140 at Walmart or $205 at Rite-Aid. You might have heard its hard to get, but here's how to procure it.
In most states, to get the low-cost, EpiPen alternative, you can't use a prescription for "EpiPen" from your doctor. That's because pharmacists at your drugstore likely won't be able to automatically substitute the low-cost version if your prescription is written for EpiPen. Instead, ask your doctor to write a prescription for an "epinephrine auto-injector" or "generic Adrenaclick."

Interesting that Epi-Pens main competitor went out of business after a total recall of its product. The the Epi price went way up. Coincidence I'm sure.

Auvi-Q Auto-Injectors Discontinued - Healthline

www.healthline.com › Healthline News

Healthline Networks

Feb 25, 2016 - Auvi-Q is an epinephrine auto-injector used to treat life-threatening allergic reactions such as anaphylaxis in people who have a history of these reactions.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
There is a little known approved alternative to the Epi-Pen. Adrenaclick is much cheaper but not well known.

http://www.consumerreports.org/drugs/how-to-get-cheaper-epipen-alternative/
Thanks for this. The answer is alternative products and suppliers.

In a similar (but less life-threatening) case, i remember living on a base in the mid-90s. There was one cable provider on the base, contractually If you wanted cable, you had to get Acme Cable. Employees of Acme Cable would drive around the housing area looking for satellite dishes on the houses. If you had a dish, the cable company would go to the Directorate of Engineering and Housing and have them knock on your door and tell you that you could not have satellite tv. "It was in the contract, no dishes allowed, so take down the dish."
Finally, one guy told the DEH guy, "Prove it. Show me in the contract." Well, they went to the office, whipped out the contract and shazam! there was no contractual prohibition on satellite tv. The cable company for years had been lying and using the military to strong-arm customers into not patronizing their competition. If one soldier had not called their bluff, they'd still have their monopoly.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Why does Alabama Power advertise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Public relations? Alabama Power is regulated by the Alabama Public Service Commission so public relations are likely geared toward creating a positive view of the company in order to reduce complaints about rates and service.

In its oversight of the company, the Electricity Section monitors Alabama Power Co.'s revenues, expenses, investment (rate base), equity, debt and the Rate Stabilization and Equalization ratemaking mechanism. The Electricity Section is responsible for analyzing and preparing recommendations to the Commission on all matters regarding the company's quality of service, rates, jurisdictional local distribution, power generation and transmission.
Is there a similar governmental price/service control mechanism for drug companies?

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Public relations? Alabama Power is regulated by the Alabama Public Service Commission so public relations are likely geared toward creating a positive view of the company in order to reduce complaints about rates and service.
Yep, all geared for a good image of dependable, responsible service to all customers-present and future. In the past, When Alabama Power has become a political issue in Alabama, it has been all out slaughter mode against the company by public officials riding the public ire.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
A member of my family takes copaxone injections for MS. There has been a price increase over 60% in the past 3-4 years to about $5,000/mo.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
A member of my family takes copaxone injections for MS. There has been a price increase over 60% in the past 3-4 years to about $5,000/mo.
My dad was on a Cancer treatment that cost $9000 dollars a month for about 18 months and after his doctor died suddenly the new doctor couldn't figure out why it was prescribed in the first place other than that my dad's coinsurance and medicare would cover it

$162,000 for no real reason and it would have continued had his doctors heart not stopped

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Wow. Is there no cheaper alternative?
Not really. The attached Reuters article actually cites a higher increase than what I wrote above.

Link

I don't pay $5K out of pocket because of good insurance. But the point is, somebody is paying it, either insurance plans or those able. Oh, by the way, the manufacturer (Teva) offers copay assistance. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
My dad was on a Cancer treatment that cost $9000 dollars a month for about 18 months and after his doctor died suddenly the new doctor couldn't figure out why it was prescribed in the first place other than that my dad's coinsurance and medicare would cover it

$162,000 for no real reason and it would have continued had his doctors heart not stopped
Sad, but not uncommon.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.