Politics: University of Chicago rejects trigger warnings, safe spaces

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
University of Chicago to freshmen: We do not support ‘trigger warnings,’ ‘safe spaces’

“Members of our community are encouraged to speak, write, listen, challenge and learn, without fear of censorship. Civility and mutual respect are vital to all of us, and freedom of expression does not mean the freedom to harass or threaten others,” Jay Ellison wrote, according to the letter obtained by Intellectual Takeout. “You will find that we expect members of our community to be engaged in rigorous debate, discussion, and even disagreement. At times this may challenge you and even cause discomfort.

“Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so called ‘trigger warnings,’ we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own,” he wrote.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Good for them!

It's about time some members of academia started standing up to this problem, rather than being a part of it.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
In some parts of Chicago, a trigger warning has a totally different meaning.

Good to see the school taking a stand, though. One of my best classes in college was with a professor who was diametrically opposite me philosophically. Some students even walked out the first day, as he was quite vocal with his opinions. It was a writing class, and well written essays that presented a different point of view often got better grades than poorly written ones that aligned with his beliefs.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Loved this excerpt from the letter: "...we do not condone the creation of intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own...”

There are asinine ideas on the left and on the right. They should all be aired and debated. The good ones will rise, and the bad ones will sink under the weight of their own illogic.

Here's a few questions for the left, though:
-- On campuses that have such abominations, how many "safe spaces" insulate conservative beliefs?
-- How many trigger warnings are handed out for liberal assertions?
-- Why does the left feel the need to quash opposing ideas by suppressing their expression, as opposed to demonstrating superior logic? If the idea is in fact superior, shouldn't it defeat all others on its own merits? Why the need for censorship?

Makes me want to give The University of Chicago a donation.

Ironically, it's bordered on the south side by a huge housing project. I know....I got off the El a stop too early and had to walk through it. Good fortune had it at 10AM, while the bad guys were still asleep.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Weird, possibly related news.
University of Missouri enrollment drops 2,200.
I wonder how much of the drop is due to parents/prospective students saying "the inmates are running the asylum; don't go there," and how much is "Cops in Missouri are racist. Don't go there."

Plus, this is one of the pitfalls of the increasing share that tuition plays in University budgets. If the state was appropriating 75% of the university budget this would hurt, but if tuition is 75% of a University budget and you lose 2,200 student from one year to the next, ouch.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Weird, possibly related news.
University of Missouri enrollment drops 2,200.
I wonder how much of the drop is due to parents/prospective students saying "I don't you to go to a school where the inmates are running the asylum," and how much is "Cops in MIssouri are racist. Don't go there."
Cops in Missouri can't possibly be as oppressive as the faculty at the University of Missouri.

Unfortunately, no blue font.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
There are asinine ideas on the left and on the right. They should all be aired and debated. The good ones will rise, and the bad ones will sink under the weight of their own.
There is something missing. If we wait long enough it will surface. This is Chicago. There must be something that's been stifled that is so right wing crazy that they want it "out, loud, and proud"

Never trust a liberal by their words, only their actions that guide toward the true intention. We may need to wait a bit, but something smells fishy here.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
There is something missing. If we wait long enough it will surface. This is Chicago. There must be something that's been stifled that is so right wing crazy that they want it "out, loud, and proud"

Never trust a liberal by their words, only their actions that guide toward the true intention. We may need to wait a bit, but something smells fishy here.
Jay Ellison came to Chicago from Harvard, where he adjudicated one of the largest cheating scandals ever. 70 of 125 students had to temporarily withdraw from school. Hopefully he is simply serious about academic integrity.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I don't know why anyone would get so fired up about trigger warnings. A trigger warning is not an announcement that folks will not be discussing unpleasant things. It's the opposite. A trigger warning is an announcement that folks are definitely going to talk about unpleasant things. Never been a problem until the buzzword came up.

An example: Say we were discussing congenital birth defects. Rather than just posting these images directly, I might include a warning that they're rather unpleasant while hiding them behind links, because they are and I would be a real jerk to spring them on folks without warning.

(P.S. I could do worse. These are tame in comparison to others I have seen.)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't know why anyone would get so fired up about trigger warnings. A trigger warning is not an announcement that folks will not be discussing unpleasant things. It's the opposite. A trigger warning is an announcement that folks are definitely going to talk about unpleasant things. Never been a problem until the buzzword came up.

An example: Say we were discussing congenital birth defects. Rather than just posting these images directly, I might include a warning that they're rather unpleasant while hiding them behind links, because they are and I would be a real jerk to spring them on folks without warning.

someone has to keep the sjw's in check

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I think that a "trigger warning" is viewed negatively when it is a warning about challenging thoughts, ideas, or opinions that some may not agree with...not graphic pictures.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.