Link: UT Austin campus protest 'campus carry' law pretty weird, can't make this up........

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I have no qualms with concealed carry I don't think it will be a problem but I also don't see it as a solution to anything either. UT Austin should know that better than most

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
...handed out sex toys, which are considered obscene under the Texas Penal Code and University rules...
For some reason, this line in the article reminded me of the scene where Boone asked Eric Stratton, "Does this thing talk?"

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Kathryn Howard, an undeclared freshmen, said guns should never be the solution to a problem.

Then again, it might be the solution to a problem, if you see one of these a-holes coming into your school building.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Then again, it might be the solution to a problem, if you see one of these a-holes coming into your school building.
there were plenty of Armed Texans, including students when Charles Whitman climbed into that tower in Austin in 1966, not sure that it helped at all
According to gun rights groups, the new law would prevent such tragedies. But there’s some irony in their choice of the UT shooting as a commemorative occasion. It so happens that many students on the UT campus were armed in 1966, and many of them fired at Whitman, who was ultimately killed by a police officer. Whether civilian gunfire was helpful that day remains a matter of debate.
An oral history of the shooting compiled by Texas journalist Pamela Colloff features several eyewitness accounts of civilians taking up arms.
The South African novelist J. M. Coetzee, then a PhD candidate at UT, was on campus that day. “I hadn’t fully comprehended,” he told Colloff, “that lots of people around me in Austin not only owned guns but had them close at hand and regarded themselves as free to use them.”

https://timeline.com/during-the-nat...d-students-fired-back-43bc18a3ddc3#.l64p1r93y

“It seemed like every other guy had a rifle,” said Ann Major. “There was a sort of cowboy atmosphere, this ‘Let’s get him’ spirit.”
“I don’t know where these vigilantes came from,” said Brenda Bell, “but they took over Parlin Hall and were crashing around, firing guns. There was massive testosterone.”
Another eyewitness described “two guys in white shirts and slacks running across the lawn of the Pi Phi house, hustling up to its porch with rifles at the ready.” Yet another remembered that “students with deer rifles were leaning up against telephone poles, using the pole, which is rather narrow, as their shield. And they were firing like crazy back at the tower.”

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
there were plenty of Armed Texans, including students when Charles Whitman climbed into that tower in Austin in 1966, not sure that it helped at all
True enough, but I'd bet there were bunch of folks at Columbine and Va Tech that were wishing some sane person had a gun right before the crazies put a bullet in their heads.
Legal gun carrying is not going to stop every crazy from shooting, but declaring to crazies that nobody on a college campus legally has a gun (other than you the bat-stuff crazy who couldn't care less about a gun law) is not exactly a deterrent either.
In Cho's case, legal on-campus carry would not have stopped Cho from shooting his first victim. It might have stopped him from shooting his 10th victim. Or his 20th. Or maybe his 30th.

tidegrandpa

All-American
It was the summer semester, August 1st, very few students on campus and he still got 14 or 15. Today about 60,000 kids are there in a fall or spring semester and I think it just might have been a deterrent knowing some of the alpha males are now armed if they choose.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
It was the summer semester, August 1st, very few students on campus and he still got 14 or 15. Today about 60,000 kids are there in a fall or spring semester and I think it just might have been a deterrent knowing some of the alpha males are now armed if they choose.
nothing deters crazy

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Not arguing, just saying I doubt the body count would have been as high. That's TW's point, you can't stop crazy but you can limit the damage.
there were armed students, including armed combat vets at the community college in Oregon a few years back that did not even get engaged with the gunman there. An account I read years ago stated that one such student, recently returned from Iraq/Afghanistan (can't recall which) said he had neither the time nor the inclination to run towards the shooting to try and help. My thinking is that if the gunman happens to step into the wrong room after the shooting has begun that perhaps an armed student could help but to state that it definitely will help is speculation at best.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
nothing deters crazy
No, but being dead makes it harder to carry out a massacre of innocent passersby.

I guess it's possible that if Cho bursts into your classroom, and nobody is armed, but one of the students has a sex toy to offer him, it might distract or dissuade him.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
To reiterate a point made by others, you cannot stop an idiot from pulling out a gun an shooting people. Chances are, though, that the criminal does not have a permit to carry the weapon anyway. If you have others there who have had training and have a weapon on them you can quite possibly kill two birds with one stone (pun intended), you can possibly prevent even a second victim from being a statistic and you can save the taxpayers a ton of dough by not having to support said idiot for the rest of his life.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
After exploring this more, some of those sex toys could definitely be considered weapons.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
To reiterate a point made by others, you cannot stop an idiot from pulling out a gun an shooting people. Chances are, though, that the criminal does not have a permit to carry the weapon anyway. If you have others there who have had training and have a weapon on them you can quite possibly kill two birds with one stone (pun intended), you can possibly prevent even a second victim from being a statistic and you can save the taxpayers a ton of dough by not having to support said idiot for the rest of his life.
at least in georgia, no training is required for a concealed carry permit. i just needed a fingerprint and a clean background check when i got mine (since expired).

also, if there are multiple armed good guys in a situation, how do they not end up shooting each other and other innocent bystanders in addition to creating more confusion/danger for responding officials.

there were armed students, including armed combat vets at the community college in Oregon a few years back that did not even get engaged with the gunman there. An account I read years ago stated that one such student, recently returned from Iraq/Afghanistan (can't recall which) said he had neither the time nor the inclination to run towards the shooting to try and help. My thinking is that if the gunman happens to step into the wrong room after the shooting has begun that perhaps an armed student could help but to state that it definitely will help is speculation at best.
Agreed Jon. Even with a weapon, sometimes the first thought you have is to run away and avoid and only if backed into a corner will I shoot.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.