Link: UT Austin campus protest 'campus carry' law pretty weird, can't make this up........

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
at least in georgia, no training is required for a concealed carry permit. i just needed a fingerprint and a clean background check when i got mine (since expired).

also, if there are multiple armed good guys in a situation, how do they not end up shooting each other and other innocent bystanders in addition to creating more confusion/danger for responding officials.
If the solution isn't "more guns!" then I don't understand the problem.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The other irony is the protestors clustered together fearing some crazy shooting them actually make it easier for a bad shot crazy person to hit more of them and a good shot crazy person to rack up numbers rivaling the opening of a Rambo movie.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've taught on a campus on which about 1/3 of the faculty are packing at one time or another. Never had a worry. In fact, I felt reassured.
Heck, some of my students were probably packing. Never worried a bit.

Now, if you are at at VT in the spring of 2007, as you huddle in your classroom and you listen as Cho moves room to room, pleas for mercy, a burst of gunfire, moans of the wounded, sound getting closer with each room shot up, you're looking into the eyes of your fellow students, would you feel safer knowing one of them had a CCP and was packing? Or less safe?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The other irony is the protestors clustered together fearing some crazy shooting them actually make it easier for a bad shot crazy person to hit more of them and a good shot crazy person to rack up numbers rivaling the opening of a Rambo movie.
but i bet [at least some of] those protesters can wield the dildos like a light saber, deflecting bullets

Last edited:

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
And thus the market for dildo holsters was created. Anyone have some start-up capital lying around? :biggrin:

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
I've taught on a campus on which about 1/3 of the faculty are packing at one time or another. Never had a worry. In fact, I felt reassured.

Now, if you are at at VT in the spring of 2007, as you huddle in your classroom and you listen as Cho moves room to room, pleas for mercy, a burst of gunfire, moans of the wounded, sound getting closer with each room shot up, you're looking into the eyes of your fellow students, would you feel safer knowing one of them had a CCP and was packing? Or less safe?

Maybe just hug their bunny...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
one of my room mates in 1993 carried a loaded Colt 45 model 1911A1 around with him at all times including when he bothered to set foot on campus, which was rare enough. He also had an extremely bad cocaine problem and some interesting thoughts on minorities and their "place" in the world. Frankly the dude terrified me but facebook tells me that he seems to have cleared his life up a bit. If it was him, in the state I knew him in carrying in your example below frankly I'd be more concerned that he's use the opportunity presented by Cho to take out some people he'd been seething about for a while and proving himself to be John Wayne or the Rambo that he already thought himself to be in going up against Cho.

It depends, see above

but I will add that statistically the odds of being accidently shot by an idiot like my old roomate who was a paranoid freak before the cocaine and a paranoid super freak after are vastly, vastly higher than ever being involved in a Cho like situation but I will commend you on your effective use of language as a scare tactic to try and prove your point

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Well, if those young coeds are going to open carry I believe they need to be duly licensed and trained how to properly use their chosen tool. I volunteer for this duty.

As for the guns, everyone has a right to self defense. I don't want a young hot headed idiot doing something stupid. If he does, I want someone with a cool head to remove his hot head if necessary.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
but I will add that statistically the odds of being accidently shot by an idiot like my old roomate who was a paranoid freak before the cocaine and a paranoid super freak after are vastly, vastly higher than ever being involved in a Cho like situation but I will commend you on your effective use of language as a scare tactic to try and prove your point
True, but if that's the name of the new game then you're far more likely to get killed by a drunk driver than a mass shooting, so why aren't the 'gun safe zone' people trying to likewise make alcohol as difficult to get as possible?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I feel very slightly better now that I know that concealed carry permit holders in Texas at least have to take a course.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/

DPS administers the Handgun Licensing Program under the authority of theTexas Government Code Chapter 411, Subchapter H. DPS licenses individuals to carry handguns within Texas, evaluates the eligibility of applicants through criminal history background checks and monitors those currently licensed to ensure their continued eligibility. DPS also trains and certifies instructors who teach the required course to applicants.

Sex toys may require a course but I'm not sure.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
but I will add that statistically the odds of being accidently shot by an idiot like my old roomate who was a paranoid freak before the cocaine and a paranoid super freak after are vastly, vastly higher than ever being involved in a Cho like situation
Really? Have I missed the wave of accidental craved cocaine-addled racists having negligent discharges on campuses?
If a loon wanted to kill the maximum number of innocent bystanders and has two college campuses to go to, one where a statistically significant number of teachers and students are packing and one where nobody is legally carrying which does he go to?
but I will commend you on your effective use of language as a scare tactic to try and prove your point
Thanks, I guess.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
you really believe that a crazy person chooses targets rationally? Seriously, that is your argument?

my point was that idiots do stupid things and you are more likely to be accidentally shot because of an idiot doing something stupid than you are to be involved in any sort of mass shooting

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
you really believe that a crazy person chooses targets rationally? Seriously, that is your argument?

my point was that idiots do stupid things and you are more likely to be accidentally shot because of an idiot doing something stupid than you are to be involved in any sort of mass shooting

I absolutely believe that crazy people are capable of planning to minute detail.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
They might but then again if the don't and they do choose the campus with students /faculty carrying concealed weapons, the shooting spree is probably not going to last as long as it would if the same crazy dude went to the "gun-free" campus where he was the only guy with a gun.
And I stand by my earlier question. Over the last ten years, how many people have been shot and how many killed on college campuses by cocaine-addled racists (or non-racist, and sober college students) having negligent discharges and how many been shot and how many killed by active shooters?
I have not heard of any negligent discharges on campus. Maybe that's because the negligent discharge shootings and deaths are one person at a time so they do not rise about the media noise level, but I just don't see any wave of ND shootings on campus.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
at least in georgia, no training is required for a concealed carry permit. i just needed a fingerprint and a clean background check when i got mine (since expired)...
I have an AL concealed carry permit that I've never actually used. The only times I've ever taken either of my handguns out of the safe is to take them to the range. My wife got applications for both of us from somewhere. On-line maybe. She even filled it out. All I did was sign it and she mailed it in. Didn't even require fingerprints.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
They might but then again if the don't and they do choose the campus with students /faculty carrying concealed weapons, the shooting spree is probably not going to last as long as it would if the same crazy dude went to the "gun-free" campus where he was the only guy with a gun.

And I stand by my earlier question. Over the last ten years, how many people have been shot and how many killed on college campuses by cocaine-addled racists (or non-racist, and sober college students) having negligent discharges and how many been shot and how many killed by active shooters?
I have not heard of any negligent discharges on campus. Maybe that's because the negligent discharge shootings and deaths are one person at a time so they do not rise about the media noise level, but I just don't see any wave of ND shootings on campus.
i wasn't talking about coke head racists I was talking about idiots accidentally discharging a gun, its just that this particular idiot happened to be a racist with a coke problem

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.