Sunday August 28: Saban Interview with Marty Smith and Tebow on Sportscenter Airs

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

It’s being promoted as “Nick Saban like you’ve never seen him before.”

Saban opened up his home on Georgia’s Lake Burton to ESPN reporter Marty Smith and college football analyst Tim Tebow. This is the first time Saban has allowed television cameras on location, according to ESPN.

Smith said the goal of the piece was to “humanize” Saban, according to ESPN’s news release.

The interview took place on July 30, just a few days before Alabama opened fall camp. The trio discussed non-football topics including life and family during their boat ride and walk by the lake.

The preview below shows a loose Saban having fun at the lake.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Great, thanks for posting! Humanize Saban? Us Tidefans already know him but I guess the outsiders still can't figure him out. Bless their hearts...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
This is not really true. Seems like I remember doing an interview from a boat but it could have been on lake Tuscaloosa. I know finebaum did an in home interview with him a few seasons ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Ferherty interviewed him there for the golf channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And that was a great hour of entertainment

I think someone needs to humanize the cartoon character that is Marty smith

TydDFens

1st Team
Feb 5, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Big boy Tebow came pretty close to landing on top of CNS in the water. If they do that again I think that we need at least a 10 ft perimeter around our coach, please.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Marty Smith is indeed an odd character- almost like an SNL sketch gone bad.
Yeah, as I watched that I thought to myself, "Could they have picked two bigger knuckleheads to do this interview?"

Smith is a hillbilly caricature and Tebow is the opposite end of the spectrum with his timid, disjointed soft-speak. Neither of them do justice to an interview with Coach IMO.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, as I watched that I thought to myself, "Could they have picked two bigger knuckleheads to do this interview?"

Smith is a hillbilly caricature and Tebow is the opposite end of the spectrum with his timid, disjointed soft-speak. Neither of them do justice to an interview with Coach IMO.
One of the best interviews I've seen with Saban was with Charles Barkley. Coach was just enduring this interview, but he genuinely enjoyed Sir Charles. For one thing, you can tell Barkley and Coach like each other. Smith and Tebow are awed...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
One of the best interviews I've seen with Saban was with Charles Barkley. Coach was just enduring this interview, but he genuinely enjoyed Sir Charles. For one thing, you can tell Barkley and Coach like each other. Smith and Tebow are awed...
it is hard to not like Sir Charles, these 2 knuckleheads are very easy to dislike.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
"Enduring" is the perfect word for this interview! You could really tell he was just slogging through it.

I also really enjoyed those al.com clips with ole Chuck. There's something disarming about Barkley's style and it really showed with Coach. The best interviews are the ones that don't seem like "interviews" at all...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.