Did Alabama once play home games in Birmingham?

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Amen brother...

Prior to reading your post, I was about to say "You know you're dealing w a young'n when..." :)
I'm feeling old here too! I can't believe I dropped off my son at Alabama 2 weeks ago. It doesn't seem like that long ago his mother and I were "just friends" at LSU in 1990. We're now married 22+ years.

By the way, SERIOUSLY - my son made the absolute correct decision in going to Alabama. He has so many opportunities and is just loving it. We're looking forward to attending at least 2 games this year in BD and hosting him and friends for "the game" back home.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Legends walked the turf at Legion Field. My last there were the 92 and 93 SEC championships. The stadium was decrepit by then.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
was at bama starting in 87 and we went to a ton of games at legion field. i remember one of the years (maybe 87) all/most of the home games were at legion field during construction of bds

eta, i loved going to big games at legion field. i saw some great ones there.
while I have some great memories of games at Legion Field, 1989 Tennessee comes to mind instantly, my opinion of Legion field was never anything other than pure hate. Having to get up at the crack of dawn to get to BHam 2 hours before an 11:30 kickoff nearly put me off going to games. Hated everything about it and was thrilled when we finally stopped going there. As an alumnus it was a bit better going to BHam from Atlanta for a game but it still felt wrong. If I am going to travel to see Bama I either want it to be a big away or neutral site or be in Tuscaloosa so I can go enjoy the town as well.

tidegrandpa

All-American
while I have some great memories of games at Legion Field, 1989 Tennessee comes to mind instantly, my opinion of Legion field was never anything other than pure hate. Having to get up at the crack of dawn to get to BHam 2 hours before an 11:30 kickoff nearly put me off going to games. Hated everything about it and was thrilled when we finally stopped going there. As an alumnus it was a bit better going to BHam from Atlanta for a game but it still felt wrong. If I am going to travel to see Bama I either want it to be a big away or neutral site or be in Tuscaloosa so I can go enjoy the town as well.
At 10 years old, I rode with my much older sister and my brother in law to Legion Field from Anniston to see my first Bama game against Tennessee. I was thrilled. It was the biggest place I had ever seen. My dad and given me a 5$ bill for a ticket. We found one. I sat by myself field level lower end zone and it was the year Snake stopped the clock by throwing the ball out of bounds on 4th down and the big scoreboard he looked up at still said 3rd down. 10-10 tie. But we still won NC that year.

A month later we made the drive to T'town for the South Carolina game and I remember how tiny Denny Stadium was compared to Legion field. 43000 was capacity and no upper decks any where. Didn't matter though, still got to see those guys play. Wouldn't trade a minute of it.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I have good memories from Legion field except the Bo over the top game. I mostly parked at Bham Southern and stopped at a certain house always selling ribs on the walk over.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
You don't like paying the locals $20 so you could park on the curb and not have them screw with you car during the game? That was about all I remember from my last game there.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I miss Mrs Winners Chicken, coupled with a few walking round beers from The Eleyton Meat Market

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.