Did Alabama once play home games in Birmingham?

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
My first game at Legion was against our pals from Ole Miss in 1971. Blisteringly hot. The ugly AstroTurf didn't help. Musso ran wild, Terry Davis got hurt on a cheap hit. I think 40-7 was the final. We played UT there as well and then the Iron Bowl. Denny stadium held about 57 K then. Travelling from Tuscaloosa to the games and back again to campus was a royal pain. Auburn had it much worse. But that was just the way it was back then.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Wow, this is interesting. Thanks for the perspective. I think she was only there one year and if it happened to be in 1987, I could see why she may have though that there wasn't a stadium on campus. I can't imagine LSU and Alabama in Mobile. Crazy!
She must not have attended any classes because the stadium is pretty obvious on the campus, especially when there's construction in progress like there was in 1987.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Two things:

1. This is a GREAT thread. Even if only unwittingly...

2. Still get a rush from remembering Keith Jackson, in his inimitable voice, saying "Liiiive from Legion Field in Birmingham Alabama..."

Chill bumps...

Last edited:

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
My last time in Legion Field was the 96 Iron Bowl. Thank God that was the last game I saw there because of the expansion to BDS during the 97 season where in 98 all the big games were moved there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Usually Bama just played three games a year in Bryant-Denny. The rest of the home games...always auburn and Tennessee, and other big games were in Birmingham.
Bear Bryants record in Bryant-Denny was 72-2!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm thankful we started playing all our home games at BDS, after the last expansion, I think it's the most beautiful stadium in college football, plus, the game day atmosphere on campus is 2nd to none in college football as well..

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I will say this about Legion Field it was a place in the 70's where most of our opponents dreams died. I do recall how loud that place was when we played Aubarn. And the good thing is those of us who did experience it will never forget those magical days.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
You don't like paying the locals $20 so you could park on the curb and not have them screw with you car during the game? That was about all I remember from my last game there.
actually for one season that was my favorite part. Old fella in a wheelchair with a double barrel shotgun in his lap under a blanket, parked in his yard every game of the 1990 season

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
It is a bit sad to see Legion Field essentially fall to ruin considering how many games we played there through the years, but the deterioration of the surrounding neighborhood has to be mentioned. The clientele where most had to park was sketchy at best. You had to pay someone to park or wonder if you would even have a car to come back to, lol. I remember going to games there starting in 1998 while a student. Couple that with the Dubose, Fran, and Shula years, and it is easy to want to forget and be glad we don't go to Legion Field anymore!

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I was there for the 1985 Iron Bowl and I think I was the only sober one in attendance. My wife at the time was upset I went to the game because I had to be 500 miles away the next morning to be a pall bearer in her uncle's funeral. I was so naturally buzzed after the game that I drove for an hour toward Nashville instead of Chattanooga. Van Tiffin's 52-yard field goal with six seconds to play gave Bama a 25-23 victory.
I'm pretty sure the game was held on Bo Jackson's birthday as I remember the Auburn fans singing HB to Bo during warm ups.
And I remember paying $5 "insurance" to make sure my car was in good shape after the game.

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
My dad hauled a lot of the brick to Legion Field when they were building it. It's a shame what has happened to that grand old lady (and to Birmingham in general).

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You don't like paying the locals $20 so you could park on the curb and not have them screw with you car during the game? That was about all I remember from my last game there.
The last time I did that a cop came by and gave me a parking ticket. Apparently being within a foot of the sidewalk even though in someones yard was a bit much.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.