2016 Week 1 Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences, Interviews, etc.)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Starting this early because Friday's practice started game prep (as in scout team jerseys were worn).

Friday, August 26 practice reports

BOL

Al.com

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Interesting move on the OL. I wonder if Piersbacher was not making the right calls and adjusting to center or if he was a little overwhelmed having to snap the ball with a man covering him. I think Bozeman will do very good at center if it sticks since I believe he filled in at center at times last year when Ryan got hurt.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Interesting move on the OL. I wonder if Piersbacher was not making the right calls and adjusting to center or if he was a little overwhelmed having to snap the ball with a man covering him. I think Bozeman will do very good at center if it sticks since I believe he filled in at center at times last year when Ryan got hurt.
Maybe 1 QB feels more comfortable with Bozeman whereas another QB may feel more comfortable with Piersbacher? Having them both in the game as starters effective at playing center allows more flexibility depending which QB is in the game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Would hope the coaches saw any of those possible issues during spring or fall camp. Pretty strange for them to decide to switch it up this close to camp after there being no change during either camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Would hope the coaches saw any of those possible issues during spring or fall camp. Pretty strange for them to decide to switch it up this close to camp after there being no change during either camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
very strange to make a change this late

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Probably just doing injury scenarios, since Center is such an important position. Ross will be the starter at Center.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Anyone else notice the weird wording about the QB'S in the al.com article?

Bateman and Hurts threw to WR'S, Cornwell to TE'S, Barnett was "present".

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

What it meant is that Barnett is going to be the starter and the staff is resting his arm.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Thats their way of saying that he hasn't transferred pretty much. Wish they wouldn't do that though, trying to set the scene for speculation.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
My theory is that they're preparing for emergency center scenarios because they've happened in at least one game each of the last two seasons.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban's weekly presser begins in 40 minutes. The depth chart will be released at that time. Will have a separate thread for it, though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban speaking...

We're excited for game week. I know our players are excited, as well, to play a great program like Southern California.
This is always a bowl-like atmosphere when you play in these neutral-site games.
Opening game successes come more from an internal scoreboard. What are we doing to play winning football?
On the team's 2016 identity: "There's no identity at all, regardless of what's been said, written. It means nothing."
Southern Cal is a very very good offensive team.
Juju Smith is as good of a wide receiver as we are going to play all year.
All the (talk) is that they're much improved on defense.
From a quarterback standpoint, we're sort of down to 2 guys. Cooper Bateman and Blake Barnett are the 2 guys to play in this game.
We make this decision with what's going to give us the chance this game as well as the future
On running backs: We've always played two guys here, and I think the guys we will play are Bo Scarbrough and Damien Harris.
On OL: We're going to play Bradley Bozeman at center and Ross Pierschbacher at RG.
Saban: Cooper has a great knowledge of the offense. Manages things well when he's out there. He's improved his passing ability.
On Jalen Hurts: "Jalen's got a tremendous future. I think he's got great ability."
Jalen Hurts has tremendous ability. We're not giving up on that ability. I hope he can be a productive player for us this year
Trevon Diggs is a very talented guy. He's a guy who can make plays as a WR. We're deeper at WR = more difficult to get PT there.
On Blake Barnett: I think that in Blake's case, he's been here a little longer. He has a little better knowledge of the offense
More on Barnett: Blake has really been an effective passer for us
On not picking a QB: "I can't tell you how they are going to play in a game, especially the guys who haven't played in a game."

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.