SEC, B1G rule college football

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
“Power Five” is more myth than reality. Right now, it’s really more like a Power Two.

“Fans who don’t really understand the numbers think if you’re in a Power Five conference that everything is equal, more or less,” said one athletics director, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the awkward nature of the topic. “That’s just not true. The SEC and the Big Ten are kind of their own category and then it’s everybody else.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tball-power-five-chasing-big-ten-sec/89111786

The Big 12 is in danger of collapse, IMO, with two or four going to Pac 12.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Unfortunately - being Dan Wolken - he's incredibly fact challenged:

From 1996 to 2005, the Big 12 won three titles, the Big Ten and SEC won two each, with the ACC, Big East and Pac-12 each capturing a championship. There wasn’t really a pecking order.

Hmmm. Yeah, the Big 12 won three (1997, 2000, 2005), but so did the SEC (1996, 1998, 2003) and the Pac 12 actually won two on the field (2003, 2004).

Program advantages matter, but the best coaches win championships.

Sure, that's why Gene Chizik and Larry Coker won titles - because they were the best coaches.

Those are two that jumped right out, I'm sure there's more if I read it carefully.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
From 1996 to 2005, the Big 12 won three titles, the Big Ten and SEC won two each, with the ACC, Big East and Pac-12 each capturing a championship. There wasn’t really a pecking order. The great programs were great regardless of the league they were in (Miami, for example, was far more successful nationally in the “lesser” Big East than it has been in the ACC).

I am still scratching my head over this. Miami was far more successful in a lesser Big East than in the ACC, but the league doesn't matter? Or maybe I just don't understand. Confusing to me.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.