‘They’re Dying Too Fast’: 18-Year-Old Defers College So He Can Interview WWII Vets

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Great story. I honestly didn't think there were that many (850,000) left.
I didn't either. But if you joined up right at the end and were 18 or 19 when it ended you'd only be 90. So I guess it isn't that surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I didn't either. But if you joined up right at the end and were 18 or 19 when it ended you'd only be 90. So I guess it isn't that surprising.

On a somewhat related story - last year a guy in my church went to his Navy reunion in San Diego. He was a student at the University of Michigan (he claims Tom Hayden - who was then an unknown - told him he was a Communist and showed him his card when they were students there together). He was then a Naval officer during the Vietnam War (one of his favorite tales being seeing a guy tossing a football with another soldier - and the one soldier looked awesome throwing the ball. Turned to the guy next to him and said, "Wow, he's got a great arm," and the other guy said, "He should - that's Roger Staubach, the Heisman winner").

Anyway...he was 74 last year and went to the Navy reunion, and he'd had a bout with head and neck cancer. Said he realized before leaving that based on the ages alone, this was going to be the last reunion for just about all of them. But went and had a good time. Those WW2 guys were something else.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Dang. My dad was a Vietnam vet and he would be 84 this year; he is probably on the older side for that group but it does make one think.

I'm reminded of some of the reunions of veterans of the War Between the States and how far into the 1900's they went.

Love what Sharma is doing.:cool2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.