Early Odds for Week 1 (2016) Games of Note

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Trojan here...just curious as to anyone's thoughts on fUCLA and ATM?
I think it'll be a very good game. The wildcard in my mind will be Noel Mazzone. How will his offense look at TAMU? Will it even be his offense? Or will he be calling Kevin Sumlin's offense (the 2 are nothing alike)? Also, Mazzone literally just left UCLA to go to TAMU. He knows all of UCLA's personnel..their strengths, their weaknesses. What will UCLA do to get away from tendencies?

I like this game. And I can't pick a winner. Both of these teams are teases. Full of freak athletes every year but underachieving.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
How does A&M's d-line look this year? Rosen does not do well with pressure, and I believe they have some question marks in the middle of their o-line. Adding to the intrigue is Mazonne becoming A&M's coordinator. Should be a fun one to watch...
John Chavis's defenses are traditionally no frills. He's going to play man to man on the back end and put as much pressure as he can on you on the front end.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
John Chavis's defenses are traditionally no frills. He's going to play man to man on the back end and put as much pressure as he can on you on the front end.
And with UCLA wanting to air it out it'll be priority to keep Rosen upright unless they can take a page out of Bama's book and run at them so they can't pin their ears back. I'm not overly familiar with UCLA's roster, does anyone know what they have in the way of a rushing game or is that a laughable question for this offense?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
And with UCLA wanting to air it out it'll be priority to keep Rosen upright unless they can take a page out of Bama's book and run at them so they can't pin their ears back. I'm not overly familiar with UCLA's roster, does anyone know what they have in the way of a rushing game or is that a laughable question for this offense?
They have a trio of very talented RBs but it starts and ends up front as you know. They don't know what they have in the interior of the o-line yet.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
If USC wants to throw the ball down the field they'll have to block Timmy and Ryan consistently. They've got a superb OL it's said. But can they stop number 56?

tj3333

Aug 20, 2016
They have a trio of very talented RBs but it starts and ends up front as you know. They don't know what they have in the interior of the o-line yet.
True. Soso Jamabo, Nate Starks and Bolu Olorunfunmi are all three talented backs, and the addition of Kennedy Polamalu as their OC (who was poached from USC) reinforces at least their desire to be a physical, running team. As another poster accurately stated, talented running backs are only part of what is needed for a successful, physical running game...

Great insight by all who have replied - thanks!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
USCe is a favorite? Thought they started out as a favorite, and the line eventually flipped to Vandy.
This one still makes me scratch my head. I know S Carolina went downhill badly last year but to think they have sank lower than Vandy is eerie. It is not like Vandy still has Franklin. If Vandy does beat them I would think BOOM is on the hot seat right from the get go..... and should be.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
This one still makes me scratch my head. I know S Carolina went downhill badly last year but to think they have sank lower than Vandy is eerie. It is not like Vandy still has Franklin. If Vandy does beat them I would think BOOM is on the hot seat right from the get go..... and should be.
I think that has more to do with us not liking Muschamp ( I certainly do not) but I have feeling he's been softening up superiors by letting them know they have a lack of talent and shouldn't hope for a good season.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think that has more to do with us not liking Muschamp ( I certainly do not) but I have feeling he's been softening up superiors by letting them know they have a lack of talent and shouldn't hope for a good season.
That and the fact that Vandy's defense is legit. If their offense does anything to keep them off the field, Vandy can beat SC.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If USC wants to throw the ball down the field they'll have to block Timmy and Ryan consistently. They've got a superb OL it's said. But can they stop number 56?
It appears now they'll be missing their starting LT or, if he plays, he'll be less than 100%. I think his replacement is an inexperienced soph...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
They're not really that young, particularly the starting corners...
Good point.
Harrison, Fitzpatrick and Humphrey have a year (or more) under their belts.
Eddie Jackson has three.
The challenge will be if Bama has to sub some of these (due to injury or conditioning/cramps), the experience two-deep is lean.
You remember Shipley's long TD against Bama in Pasadena, I remember two Bama DBs giving each other the "hey, I thought you had him" look. And that was in game 14 of that season. Saban's defensive schemes can be awfully complex. And I believe USC's receivers are capable of exploiting small mental errors by DBs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.