Jake Coker Waived-Injured by Arizona

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
LINK

This is fairly technical, but "waived-injured" (it's a knee) is often a prelude to a player being placed on injured reserve. My understanding is that the NFL doesn't allow a team to release an injured player without his consent. You'll see that as "waived with an injury settlement" (i.e., cash). A player on IR can be released, but he must pass a physical.

Assuming no one claims him, Coker will likely be put on IR which means his season is over. In theory, if he heals during the season (the team said that he may need arthroscopic surgery), he could be released and be placed on the practice squad. Time will tell...

#1sabanite

3rd Team
Sep 14, 2008
I hope if he does have to have surgery that is goes well and he has a fast recovery, I would like to see him play

this is the best description I found for the waived-injured

Waived/Injured: When a team waives an injured player any other team may claim him. If a player clears waivers the player is immediately reverted to IR or the team will negotiate an injury settlement to allow the player to pursue other opportunities with another club.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When this sort of thing happens to an undrafted FA QB, well, it isn't good. With this injury his career is likely over unless he can re-launch it outside of the NFL. Too many QBs come out of college every year, and there are too few jobs available.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
When this sort of thing happens to an undrafted FA QB, well, it isn't good. With this injury his career is likely over unless he can re-launch it outside of the NFL. Too many QBs come out of college every year, and there are too few jobs available.
The upside is he can always try the CFL or AFL. They make around 70-90K on average with QB's usually making more. I mean not NFL money but not peanuts either. Heck Blake Sims is in Australia right now trying to play QB with a new start up league there. If playing the game is still these guys dreams then they have other options to not give up and if they play well they can always keep trying out for NFL teams.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I believe a lot of times NFL teams miss out on a gem of a draftee, because they're not willing to take a risk with a player who has an issue like this. Like Blake, towards the end of the season I believe Jake was just beginning to show what he could do. And, if some team would give him the chance to get what he needs done and heal properly, with the right coaching instruction he could probably crack the roster at any club in the league as a quality back up or possibly a starter one day. I mean his size and arm strength is NFL caliber. I may be wrong, but that's JMO.:wink:

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The upside is he can always try the CFL or AFL.
You are probably a better judge than me, but I don't feel Coker and the CFL. Arians is a good judge, and I hope Coker is deserving of the practice squad, injured reserve and can get back into better position next year. One year starting in College put Coker behind. He was not considered an NFL quarterback until the last 3rd of his sole season playing.

I believe Coker has more upside that Watson and GMAC, and played more like AJ

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You are probably a better judge than me, but I don't feel Coker and the CFL. Arians is a good judge, and I hope Coker is deserving of the practice squad, injured reserve and can get back into better position next year. One year starting in College put Coker behind. He was not considered an NFL quarterback until the last 3rd of his sole season playing.

You think Coker has more upside than Deshaun Watson?

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

With the storm coming, I have not laughed today, so thank you.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Yeah...Bubba Watson

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I meant Wilson! It was late

:)
You think Coker has more upside than Deshaun Watson?
If someone had made the error, I think I would have caught it as an error. It was obvious I was speaking Bama QB's lol.
Yes when clear headed if a poster was making comparison's to Bama QB's and I saw "GMAC, AJ, and "Watson in the same sentence, that little voice that speaks common sense over a sterile error would have kicked in ha ha.

Yes Wilson, not Watson. The real humor is that the joke is not on me. It's those that didn't catch it. I would have added Croyle in the mix, but he had a lot more talent, but was injury prone and was not physically conditioned enough to stand an NFL pounding. I thought he was drafted a little high, AJ a little low, Never thought Greg or Wilson had the upside. I do believe Coker has enough upside to stay in an organization for 3 years to either sink or swim. Unlike my thoughts on Wilson, I believe Coker has better intangibles to succeed in the NFL. Better arm, and bigger. :)

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I meant Wilson! It was late

:)

If someone had made the error, I think I would have caught it as an error. It was obvious I was speaking Bama QB's lol.
Yes when clear headed if a poster was making comparison's to Bama QB's and I saw "GMAC, AJ, and "Watson in the same sentence, that little voice that speaks common sense over a sterile error would have kicked in ha ha.

Yes Wilson, not Watson. The real humor is that the joke is not on me. It's those that didn't catch it. I would have added Croyle in the mix, but he had a lot more talent, but was injury prone and was not physically conditioned enough to stand an NFL pounding. I thought he was drafted a little high, AJ a little low, Never thought Greg or Wilson had the upside. I do believe Coker has enough upside to stay in an organization for 3 years to either sink or swim. Unlike my thoughts on Wilson, I believe Coker has better intangibles to succeed in the NFL. Better arm, and bigger. :)

​It's ok Verne :)

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I hope he tries the CFL. The NFL isn't a developmental league any more. Johnny Unitas was a semi-pro playing free agent afterthought when he joined the Colts, he would never see the light of day in todays game. Even if this is the end He will always be legend here in Alabama.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I really think Jake has the size and skill set to make it in the NFL. Who knows, he may be the next Jeff Rutledge and have a long, journeyman-like career if he can stay healthy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.