USC Starting True Sophomore at LT Due to Injury to Most Experienced Lineman

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Chuma Edoga will start at left tackle for USC against Alabama on Saturday, Coach Clay Helton announced on Monday on the Trojans Live radio show.
The announcement means Chad Wheeler, the usual starter who has been hobbled by plantar fasciitis, is unlikely to play significant time against the Crimson Tide.

It also means the blindside of USC’s new starting quarterback, Max Browne, will be protected by a sophomore. Helton has expressed confidence in Edoga, but he has little experience compared to Wheeler. Edoga played as a reserve linemen last season and started two games at right tackle, against Utah and Wisconsin.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
This is a big story considering their veteran offensive line was supposed to be one of the strengths of their team. I hope to see the pass rush in mid season form.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The replacement may be young, but even as little as he played last year he made the second team All-PAC team. They are not taking a huge step backward here.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
How unfortunate; they'll have to turn to the former five star recruit who performed well when called upon as a freshman.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If it leads to one sack/fumble/scoop/td or fg it's a big blow to them.

OR..hurry/bad throw/INT/pick six, etc.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
If it leads to one sack/fumble/scoop/td or fg it's a big blow to them.

OR..hurry/bad throw/INT/pick six, etc.
You must've thought extremely highly of the older guy if you thought we weren't even going to get so much as a single hurry against him. ;)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You must've thought extremely highly of the older guy if you thought we weren't even going to get so much as a single hurry against him. ;)
I see the winky face, but really, the backup can't be as good as the starter so I'm just referring to a few extra opportunities this might raise.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I see the winky face, but really, the backup can't be as good as the starter so I'm just referring to a few extra opportunities this might raise.
Winky face - love it! :D Point taken...need the extra opportunities for sure!

Well, one this is for certain. They breed some good O Lineman out on the left coast. We have a true frosh from Cali in Jonah Williams starting at RT for us in this game.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I keep imagining what it will be like to have Allen and Williams on one side......Hand and Evans on the other.....and a big ole Man-sized Mountain plugging the middle...

Should be fun

PepsiTrojan

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 9, 2016
While Chuma is not quite as big as Wheeler, he's considerably more athletic and has freakishly long arms. He was the 21st ranked recruit in the nation by ESPN two years ago. He certainly has his work cut out for him but he's not a weak player. I think it's great that he's going to face his toughest challenge the first game of the year.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
While Chuma is not quite as big as Wheeler, he's considerably more athletic and has freakishly long arms. He was the 21st ranked recruit in the nation by ESPN two years ago. He certainly has his work cut out for him but he's not a weak player. I think it's great that he's going to face his toughest challenge the first game of the year.
I have no doubt the young man is a heck of a player, but he will have his work cut out for him. I hope he learns a lot from this game and has a lot to learn when it's over.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Tim Williams is going to have a field day on this guy....they will probably have to double team TW or have the back "try" to pick him up. With the USC starting LT and DT out, as well as really good back-up CB and LB, it's going to be interesting. Noticed the betting line went another point to Bama's favor when the starting LT was announced out for the game. It's now up to 11.5 points.

RTR!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That is going to make things tough. I'll tell ya, USC's OL in the bowl game looked TERRIBLE. Wheeler being out was a big reason why several Wisky rushers had the night of their life.

We don't know quite how our rush will look...like Saban says, this team has no identity yet...but if the defensive identity is even close to last year's then USC may be in trouble.

That is going to make things tough. I'll tell ya, USC's OL in the bowl game looked TERRIBLE. Wheeler being out was a big reason why several Wisky rushers had the night of their life.

We don't know quite how our rush will look...like Saban says, this team has no identity yet...but if the defensive identity is even close to last year's then USC may be in trouble.
Wischeese wasn't that good towards the end of the year last season. Defense may have a field day regardless of who's there. They can't double anyone.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
sc was 109th in the ncaa with 38 sacks allowed last year, despite having a talented veteran QB with a quick release

Methinks they might just decide to go run heavy and shorten the game

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.