It's that time of the year - great football quotes...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
- "Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble the football" - John Heisman

- "I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game." - Bear Bryant / Alabama

- "It isn't necessary to see a good tackle, you can hear it!" - Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

- "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat. That costs money, and we don't have any." - Erik Russell / Georgia Southern

- "The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." - Lou Holtz / Arkansas - Notre Dame

- "When you win, nothing hurts." - Joe Namath / Alabama

- "A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall." - Frank Leahy / Notre Dame

- "There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you." - Woody Hayes / Ohio State

- "I don't expect to win enough games to be put on NCAA probation. I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation." - Bob Devaney / Nebraska

- "In Alabama , an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in Bear Bryant." - Wally Butts / Georgia

- "I never graduated from Iowa. But I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's." - Alex Karras / Iowa

- "My advice to defensive players is to take the shortest route to the ball, and arrive in a bad humor." - Bowden Wyatt / Tennessee

- "I could have been a Rhodes Scholar except for my grades." - Duffy Daugherty / Michigan State

- "Always remember Goliath was a 40 point favorite over David." - Shug Jordan / Auburn

- "I asked Darrell Royal, the coach of the Texas Longhorns, why he didn't recruit me ." He said, “Well, Walt, we took a look at you, and you weren't any good." - Walt Garrison / Oklahoma State

- "Son, you've got a good engine, but your hands aren't on the steering wheel." - Bobby Bowden / Florida State

- "Football is NOT a contact sport, it is a collision sport. Dancing IS a contact sport." - Duffy Daugherty / Michigan State

- "If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education." - Murray Warmath / Minnesota

- "The only qualifications for a lineman are to be big and dumb. To be a back, you only have to be dumb." - Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

- "I've found that prayers work best when you have big players." - Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

- Ohio State 's Urban Meyer on one of his players: “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear. In fact, I just saw his grades and he doesn't know the meaning of a lot of words."

Of course, John McKay deserves his own section:

- After USC lost 51-0 to Notre Dame, his post-game message to his team was, "All those who need showers, take them." - John McKay / USC

- "We didn't tackle well today, but we made up for it by not blocking." - John McKay / USC

- After the Buccaneers won their first regular season game against the New Orleans Saints during the 1977 season 33–14, McKay mused, "Three or four plane crashes and we're in the playoffs."

- Following a game in 1967 in which O. J. Simpson received over 30 hand offs, McKay was asked "Why are you giving the ball to Simpson so often?" He replied, "Why not? It's not heavy, and he doesn't belong to a union."

- On recruiting his son, J.K., to play football at USC: "I had a rather distinct advantage. I slept with his mother."

- After a series of questionable calls helped Notre Dame tie top-ranked USC in 1968, McKay was asked about the officiating. He answered "I'm not surprised. The referee is a fine Catholic fellow by the name of Patrick Murphy."

- When asked his opinion of the NFL, he said "I've seen what they do in the professional ranks and it's not anything different than what we do here." McKay also did not understand the huge amounts of drama the league built around games, stating "What's so different between losing in the NFL and losing in college? You win, you put a check mark next to the game on the schedule list, and when you lose, you put an X next to it."

- Following a Tampa Bay Buccaneer loss, McKay was asked, "What's it like in the professional ranks, coach? Anything special?" He replied, "No I was beat 51–0 in the college ranks. It's the same thing."

- Standing on the sidelines during a game, McKay said, "Can't stop a pass, or a run...otherwise we're in great shape."

- During a team meeting, McKay told his players that games are won and lost in "the trenches." He then spotted Howard Fest sleeping in the back. McKay yelled, "FEST FEST, where are games won and lost?" Fest replied, "Right here with the Buccaneers coach."

- Following a Tampa Bay Buccaneers loss in their early seasons, McKay was asked what he thought of his team's "execution." He replied, "I'm all for it."

- "Capece is kaput," referring to Buccaneers kicker Bill Capece after he missed game-winning field goals in the final game of the 1983 season.

- After receiving harsh criticism from the media about McKay's coaching skills in the NFL, McKay replies "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a bunch of bananas." In the next interview, members of the media left bananas for McKay. He then replied, "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a Mercedes Benz."

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
When he was at William & Mary, Holtz said the team had too many Marys and not enough Williams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Great Bum Phillips Quotes

"Earl may not be in a class by himself, but whatever class he's in, it doesn't take long to call the roll."
--on Earl Campbell

"There are two kinds of coaches. The kind that have just been fired and the kind that are going to get fired."

"Potential will get you beat 21-7 every time."

"I don't mind people thinking I'm stupid, but I don't want to give them any proof."

"The harder we played, the behinder we got."

"You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else."

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
"We didn't come out here to play no damn see-rees."

Wallace Wade to Enoch Bagshaw, coach of the Washington Huskies, after Alabama's first Rose Bowl on 1/1/1926. Uttered in response to Bagshaw's statement at the post-game handshake that "we'd have beat you nine out of ten times."

Last edited:

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA
A few personal favorites:

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." --Lombardi

"If you want to win, do the ordinary things better than anyone else does them day in and day out." --Chuck Noll

"I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault." --Jack Tatum

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture." --Elbert Hubbard

"Most players don't mind drug testing once they realize they don't have to study for it." --Mack Brown (comedy gold right there!)

"We'll fight 'em until hell freezes over, then we'll fight 'em on the ice!" --Dutch Meyer

"Because I couldn't go for three." --Woody Hayes

"Treat a person as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat him as what he could be, and he will become what he should be." --Jimmy Johnson

And finally, a tip 'o the virtual hat to you guys with a pair of my favorites from Bear Bryant:

"Here's a twenty, bury two."

"If anything goes bad, I did it. It anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you."

That last one is as true in the business world as on the football field...

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Coach Spurrier on playing Georgia

On playing the Dawgs early: "I don't know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended."

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Great thread! Here's a few more:

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

"It's kind of hard to rally around a math class." Bear Bryant / Alabama

"No, but you can see it from here." Lou Holtz / Arkansas... When asked if Fayetteville was the end of the world.

"There's one sure way to stop us from scoring-give us the ball near the goal line." Matty Bell / SMU

"They cut us up like boarding house pie. And that's real small pieces." Darrell Royal / Texas

"Show me a good and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure." Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

"You go by that and they'll have to fire us all." -- Shug Jordan, learning that LSU fired Charlie McClendon for being unable to beat Coach Bryant

Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence. - Vince Lombardi

"If you think there is such a thing as an unimportant game, just try losing one."
~ Coach Gene Stallings

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Coach Bryant from his TV show-"he looks like he was out to practice early" also "bingo that was a goodie"
Coach Saban "they ran through us like **** through a tin horn".
Jonathan Allen "Alabama does!"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.