Say Something Nice About USC...? (We haven't done one of these in a while)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Based on my trip to the SC-Bama game at Birminham in 1978, your fans were incredibly nice, even after the loss. We had a great time down there. I think that the vast majority of Trojans hold you in the highest esteem. I look forward to seeing your crowd this weekend. Fight On!
I like the "Fight On" thing.

A few years ago, I asked which college football teams had somethin analogous to "Roll Tide." As in, an all-purpose exhortation that wasn't,"Go [fill in mascot / nickname]" , or Go Big [fill in dominant color].

The board came up with a few:
Roll Tide
Hook 'em (Texas)
Gig 'em (aTm) -- though now that I look at it, I think aTm looted the slogan from its big brother.
War Eagle
Shake Down the Thunder (ND), and I wouldn't be surprised if the Irish have an abbreviated version for use amongst the true faithful.

But I don't remember anyone mentioning, "Fight On."

USC has played a big role in Alabama history. Last win in the Rose Bowl game (though not the last win in that stadium ;-), perhaps the most propelling loss in Alabama history, one of maybe five program-defining wins the next year.

Gloves are off Saturday night, but all respect otherwise.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
While still in high school in Virginia USC was a fav. team of mine and I especially remember RB Anthony Davis scoring 6 TD's against ND in a 1972 game. Two of those TD's were from kick off returns. In fact Davis set an NCAA record for career kick off returns for TD's (6) which held until C.J. Spiller broke it in 2009.

Man that cat could fly!

Go to the 1:50 mark in the video below and check it out....whoa....shades of Percy Harvin!

Bazza,

What I remember most about this game was two things: First, Notre Dame literally was throttling USC in the first half. After the game, the USC players said that Coach McKay told them at halftime that if they "block like should, then Anthony Davis was going to run the second half kick off back" and then "we're going to score again, and again, and again..." . Whether it was true or not, who knows. It does make for a great story.

Second, Ara was so PO'd . He felt McKay ran the score up on him. Watch his reaction at the post game handshake with McKay. LOL

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I always rooted for UCLA vs USC, aTm(Jackie S.) over Texas, Nebraska over Oklahoma and Michigan over Ohio State. I never liked USC, they were too connected to the NFL for my liking and the Carroll and Snoop Dog Mentality, then their panic to fore coaches during probation was the last straw, Usc is in the bottom 5 for teams I do not care for.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Thank you to USC & John McKay for beating our butts in 1970 to push integration of the school and football team...and of course Coach Bryant for being the mastermind behind the game itself.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/11/historic_1970_alabama-usc_foot.html
The team was already integrated in 1970. But the blacks on the team were freshmen and not allowed to play varsity football at the time.

I never really hated them but they have never been a team I really cared for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I always rooted for UCLA vs USC, aTm(Jackie S.) over Texas, Nebraska over Oklahoma and Michigan over Ohio State. I never liked USC, they were too connected to the NFL for my liking and the Carroll and Snoop Dog Mentality, then their panic to fore coaches during probation was the last straw, Usc is in the bottom 5 for teams I do not care for.
you know, you could have just not posted. why bring in negativity?

PepsiTrojan

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 9, 2016
I'll see your song girls and raise you the USC Beach Volleyball team. These girls are in killer shape.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.