JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
USC Preview: This may be Alabama’s toughest opening-day test yet
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
August 31st, 2016 02:13 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Aug. 31, 2016 In most of his seasons in Tuscaloosa, Nick Saban has preferred to schedule a quality opponent for Alabama’s first game of the season. This time, he may have outdone himself. There are tons of questions surrounding the Southern California program; the Trojans have what amounts to an […]

Read More Here

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'll take that score all day long. I think the game will be close in the first half but our depth will take over in the 2nd half, and we blow the scoreboard up in the 4th.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is the best team, talent wise, that we've played in the opener. However, I'm not sure that USC has a system in place in order to harness that talent into results and productivity on the field..

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
I'll be honest and say I am worried about this game. As Jess pointed out, this will be one of the toughest opening opponents we will play. I have to be confident in the coaching staff and the players they will get the job done. That don't help the butterflies.

One more thing to remember is that this is a first game for both teams. Little things are going to creep up in this game that may not in the games to come such as false starts and the like. Alabama usually does a great job of hitting things in the first game. The second game is a different story:)

I'l take that final score any day of the week because it means Bama wins. Thanks, Jess!

Ed. I'd like to add one more thing as well that I mentioned in another post: Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Thanks, Jess. I had the idea from other sources that USC's DB's and LB's were scary strong. Here's hoping your assessment is more accurate. Thanks for the hard work.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Good stuff, as always, thanks Jess. Trench warfare will decide this one. I think both O Lines will be more dominant than expected but our LB corps will shut down everything they throw at us. Gonna be a good one!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Noting Jess as the exception, I don't understand the love for the USCw OL flowing from most media types. They were flat-out bad at pass protection last year. And they were not distinguished at run production, despite being in a league dominated by spread offenses (Stanford being the exception).

Yeah, I know Bucket-step Bob Conley was their OL coach last year. But Neal Callaway and 8 months are going to erase a history of under-achievement, and do it against the best, deepest front seven in college football? Please.

It might happen in the sense that exceedingly few events have a probability of true zero. But there's no logical reason to believe it will.

I'm far more concerned about our mistake-prone QBs against that secondary.

Last edited:

PepsiTrojan

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 9, 2016
This is the best team, talent wise, that we've played in the opener. However, I'm not sure that USC has a system in place in order to harness that talent into results and productivity on the field..
This is probably the most accurate post I've read so far about USC. It's spot-on.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Penalties resulting in 1st downs for USC, QB mistakes and penalties resulting in 1st downs coming back could make it a long night for The Tide. Keeping the turnovers and penalties at a minimum will tell the story.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This Alabama team is scary good. Tighten up the o-line play and you guys are going to just kill people.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.