Ridley on special teams?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Understand why you feel that way and the desire to get the ball in the hands of maybe our best playmaker, but still......damn!
I believe you are concerned for Calvin's health but Coach Saban has always used a starter (or eventual starter) as our punt returner. I don't recall any of our punt returners getting hurt either.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
Yeah- I'm not too concerned about him getting hurt. You can't coach scared. If they want him returning punts/kickoffs- great. Drake was a gamechanger as a returner and he was also pretty important on offense. No biggie- I love it. Man, I am so ready!!!!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
There's no doubt that Calvin can be a great punt returner but I honestly would rather he be watching and getting ready for the next offensive series rather than being a wide open target for gunners etc.
I think we have enough talent that we could find another youngster to return punts effectively.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I believe you are concerned for Calvin's health but Coach Saban has always used a starter (or eventual starter) as our punt returner. I don't recall any of our punt returners getting hurt either.
If I recall correctly, Dee Hart hurt his knee on a punt return. However, he already had problems with that knee, so I tend to discount that one.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
TiderJ;2861370[B said:
]I believe you are concerned for Calvin's health[/B] but Coach Saban has always used a starter (or eventual starter) as our punt returner. I don't recall any of our punt returners getting hurt either.
Yeah J, that`s basically it. I know you can`t coach scared as was mentioned. Guy`s such a weapon running a post, though.....

There's no doubt that Calvin can be a great punt returner but I honestly would rather he be watching and getting ready for the next offensive series rather than being a wide open target for gunners etc.
I think we have enough talent that we could find another youngster to return punts effectively.
Yeah, me too. I know we have good depth there. Actually extremely good, but Ridley is a star.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We are loaded back there. Ridley are very explosive. I don't understand why people are afraid of players getting hurt on special team.
Agree. Look what happened to Teddy Bridgewater a few days ago. Completely tore up his knee and now it's uncertain whether he'll ever heal back to 100% from the injury. It was a non-contact injury during practice. Injuries can happen anytime. Just have to put your best players on the field and hope they stay healthy..

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Understand why you feel that way and the desire to get the ball in the hands of maybe our best playmaker, but still......damn!
He's quick, he's elusive, he's smart, he's alert.

Anything can happen but he'd be more exposed to injury across the middle on offense than seeing what's coming at him on PR with opportunity to fair catch.

I like the idea. Expect Cyrus Jones sorta production from him.

RTR!!!

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
It sounds as though one of the main things Coach Saban considered when tapping Ridley as a returner was Ridley's judgement. Considering the way our collective blood pressure spiked every time Christion Jones fielded a return, I find it heartening that CNS is taking our health into account. :biggrin2:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Agree. Look what happened to Teddy Bridgewater a few days ago. Completely tore up his knee and now it's uncertain whether he'll ever heal back to 100% from the injury. It was a non-contact injury during practice.
Yeah, that was scary--without quick and alert treatment from the Vikings trainer, there could have been permanent damage--possibly even losing the leg.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.