What We Learned Thursday Night (UTK, USCe, Vandy)

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Despite Tennessee getting a huge break on recovering all 3 fumbles, don't forget they needed App State to miss that XP. Without that, UT still loses that game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I remember that game as well. It was the 2012 game vs FAU. But although FAU was playing aggressively against us, we still whooped them 40-7 which is much different than last night's game between UT and AS where UT's defense had gaping holes and they couldn't establish a run game with supposedly one of the best backs in the SEC and most experienced OL. I just didnt expect to see that bad of play coming from UT after all the hype this off-season.......but they proved me wrong :)
If it's the FAU game being referenced, we had over 500 yards of offense in that game in four quarters. The Vols only topped 300 (they had 319) with 25 on the final drive when the ball was placed there.

I think there are two things to consider: 1) Tennessee won; 2) they didn't look good.

My suspicion is that Tennessee is 2009 Ole Miss, another over-hyped underachieving group of 'not ready for prime time players.' Ole Miss pasted their inferior opponents quite easily.

Then they had to play an above average South Carolina team on short rest and got beat. And then Alabama exposed them as a complete fraud.

Maybe a repeat this year? But the Vols early schedule is MUCH tougher than Ole Miss was that year, too.

JDMinHSV

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2007
Vandy doesn't have an offense. In fact, they haven't had one during the Mason administration. That's the problem with hiring a Defensive coordinator to be a head coach and not making sure they then coach BOTH sdes of the ball. (Same goes for Muschamp at Florida and now SC).
I'll say this: Tennessee is not ready just yet. They might wake up next week and go on a tear winning games... but right now, theyre confused on both sides of the ball. They got the Auburn curse.

Vandy- Vandy is vandy, but they will improve. THey just gotta figure out the offense issue.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
As much as I would love to say the VILES are gonna suck this year I can't. More than likely what we saw was a team that believed all the hype an played flat as a result. Next week will give us a better glimpse, are they gonna be that bad or was that first game a result of UT believing all the hype. Personally I'm hoping they're just that bad!😜😂😂😂

As much as I would love to say the VILES are gonna suck this year I can't. More than likely what we saw was a team that believed all the hype an played flat as a result. Next week will give us a better glimpse, are they gonna be that bad or was that first game a result of UT believing all the hype. Personally I'm hoping they're just that bad![emoji12][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
You can't hide how bad they looked in the trenches.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
What I learned was Power 5 teams shouldnt schedule APP ST to open the season. If they have any sense they'd schedule a USC, Va Tech, Clemson, Michigan, Wisconsin, West Virginia type team so the players are motivated and a close game doesn't ruin the overall perception of your team to start the season. App State is a cut blocking O-line as well there's nothing about them that screams "easy season opener to get tuned up for the big games".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.