Things that used to be "funny" but wouldn't be PC now....

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Re: Thing that used to be "funny" but wouldn't be PC now....

Charlie Chan movies about a Chinese detective...

Played by Warner Oland, a Swedish dude.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

I believe South Park shows the Mel Brooks approach to comedy is still alive and well today.

And as for a script where a white dude says the N-word 200 times? Hey, Django Unchained got made.
True. But, Quentin Tarantino could (and probably will) pitch a movie about giant turds rampaging through downtown Detroit, shooting children and puppies with AK-47s while screaming every obscenity and slur know to man and somebody would finance it. And, actors would be begging to star in it. When it came out people would be falling all over themselves to declare that the genius still lives.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013

True. But, Quentin Tarantino could (and probably will) pitch a movie about giant turds rampaging through downtown Detroit, shooting children and puppies with AK-47s while screaming every obscenity and slur know to man and somebody would finance it. And, actors would be begging to star in it. When it came out people would be falling all over themselves to declare that the genius still lives.
To be fair, that's pretty much what I'd expect giant animated turds to do.
Although they may figure Detroit is already crappy enough.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

To be fair, that's pretty much what I'd expect giant animated turds to do.
Although they may figure Detroit is already crappy enough.
Detroit is where giant animated turds come from. It's their home turf.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

It's true of all potentially offensive satire, or drama in Tarantino's case. That's why I used Parker and Stone as my example. When Mel Brooks did it, it was about racism, but it wasn't racist. I think they are known for addressing their subjects in a similar fashion. Most people (but not all, of course) would give them the benefit of the doubt and examine the message in the film before assembling the lynch mob.

I actually find these silly "things are too PC these days" arguments incredibly myopic. Folks conveniently forget the Hays Code. the Comics Code Authority, McCarthyism, heck, even the MPAA.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

It's true of all potentially offensive satire, or drama in Tarantino's case. That's why I used Parker and Stone as my example. When Mel Brooks did it, it was about racism, but it wasn't racist. I think they are known for addressing their subjects in a similar fashion. Most people (but not all, of course) would give them the benefit of the doubt and examine the message in the film before assembling the lynch mob.

I actually find these silly "things are too PC these days" arguments incredibly myopic. Folks conveniently forget the Hays Code. the Comics Code Authority, McCarthyism, heck, even the MPAA.
it is just another in a long list of mechanisms through which one can present oneself as a victim

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

I like South Park and Mel Brooks' work. It's funny. I don't find Tarantino's movies offensive. I just find them a waste of good celluloid (or bits).

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

I don't know if the original Bad News Bears, with all the racial slurs, could be made today.

What about All in the Family? How would a lovable bigot go over today?

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Basically all of Blazing Saddles.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...azing-saddles-could-never-get-made-today.html

==========
Do you think Blazing Saddles would ever get made in politically correct 2016?
No!
==========

I asked a black man I work with and have known 11 years - we're always discussing the take on things like BLM, Trump, etc. I asked him as a black person what he thought the first time he saw "Blazing Saddles" forty years ago.

He said it was the funniest damned thing he'd ever seen and not the least bit offensive.

Here's another one:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.